Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Brake options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what is available so far:

OEM front is 4 pot caliber. 380 x 32mm
OEM rear is One pot caliber with integrated parking brake. 365 x 28mm

1. Unplugged carbon front calibers/rotors. No rear upgrade available..

394 mm. No information on with width. 6 pot caliper

2. Racing Brake multiple options:
-Iron rotors to fit OEM calipers in OEM sizes
-Iron rotors for OEM calipers 390x33mm front, 390x28mm rear,
-Iron rotors with RB 6 pot from caliper 420 x 34mm front, which could use the 390x28mm rear in OEM caliper
- Carbon rotors in OEM sizes for OEM calipers
- Carbon rotors in 390x33mm Front for OEM calipers
- Carbon rotors in 420x36mm with 6 pot front caliper, with OEM sized rear carbon rotor.

3. MPP kit in Development. No information yet but likely Stoptech/Girodisc given that is what is used on their M3 kits

4. Essex AP racing kit to be evaluated, they are awaiting a test vehicle.

Here is what I know.

Carbon ceramic rotors are not a good idea unless the rotors are very big, much bigger than OEM, and the vehicle is for street use only. Carbon rotors do not as well as iron rotors. For track use, they are not the right option. They are good for Street vehicles, as for Street driving the wear is reduced compared to iron. But given the Plaid is so under braked, to get better then OEM, they would have to be much larger than a comparable iron rotor. Given the weight of the scar, I do not see these as a good option at all for braking. The significantly reduced weight would be good for handling and possibly acceleration, but that is not the down side of the plaid.

I have a GT3 and the McLaren 720S. For track use, most McLaren owners take out the carbon rotors and replaced them with iron replacements for the stock calipers. The carbon rotors are extremely expensive and I do not last long for track use. For Porsches, almost everybody who regularly tracks their car does not either get the PCCM rotors, or replaces them with iron rotors for track use.

It is also known on the Porsches that the PCCM and rotors do not stop the car better, but they do have better feel. That is despite the PCCM rotors being larger than iron. This is because PCCM gets hotter and cannot dissipate heat as well as iron. Given that the Plaid needs better brakes for stopping, I do not see the carbon options as good ideas.

Based on this, of what is listed above, the only options I would consider would be the RB 6 pot front Caliper with Iron rotors, or wait for MPP and AP racing to come out with an option.

Because of the parking brake in the rear, it looks like rear calipers will not be an easy option. RB option to use a spacer and allow 390mm rears (but still 28mm width) is a good idea. MPP does now provide a modified rear caliper on the M3 so they can use wider rotors, not sure if that will be an option on the Plaid.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane and RB_PB
Based on the disc dimensions, it appears the unplugged kit is using the Corvette ZR1 ceramic carbon rotors. These are essentially the most cost effective rotors you can get in Carbon, and a history of being very good.

Not sure if it's the ZR1 caliper, but based on the pictures it appears it may be.

Update:

2. Racing Brake multiple options:
-Iron rotors to fit OEM calipers in OEM sizes
-Iron rotors for OEM calipers 390x32mm front, 390x28mm rear,
-Iron rotors with RB 6 pot from caliper 420 x 34mm front, which could use the 390x28mm rear in OEM caliper
- Carbon rotors in OEM sizes for OEM calipers
- Carbon rotors in 390x33mm Front for OEM calipers
- Carbon rotors in 420x38mm with 6 pot front caliper, with OEM sized rear carbon rotor.

Add Don Marconi Brakes to the list
394mm Signature Carbon Kit
Custom color of choice
Custom logo of choice

Attachments

• 4B00D7A3-025A-4BF8-8FA3-6C4C33F2DB73.jpeg
    4B00D7A3-025A-4BF8-8FA3-6C4C33F2DB73.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 599
  • 8112326F-321F-4F3E-BE02-5F9D1AF669B8.jpeg
    8112326F-321F-4F3E-BE02-5F9D1AF669B8.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 174
  • 24FB997F-B5DA-4A40-ACCF-285FEF095A6A.jpeg