Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not really. If you use less material to make each car you can make more cars Which will incentivize the build out of infrastructure, which will incentivize people buying EVs.

having a few cars with big batteries and sparse infrastructure is not incentivizing anything. You don’t have meet every use case right away. They already having more demand than cars...

I'm curious how you think that would work. It costs about $15,000 to put a metered charging station in my high-rise. Retrofitting every building in every downtown city where chargers don't exist seems really aspirational, both in terms of cost and demand. Putting superchargers every few blocks also seems like overkill. It seems easier just to make a model for people who want more range and ask them to pay for the luxury of it.

Reactions: TexasTezla
I'm curious how you think that would work. It costs about $15,000 to put a metered charging station in my high-rise. Retrofitting every building in every downtown city where chargers don't exist seems really aspirational, both in terms of cost and demand. Putting superchargers every few blocks also seems like overkill. It seems easier just to make a model for people who want more range and ask them to pay for the luxury of it.
You are looking at it short term. They don’t need to tie into your panel to meter it. ChargePoint has chargers that can bill you directly. If only your landlord was incentivized to have the chargers installed. If EVs are going to replace gas cars, more range isn’t the answer. More infrastructure is.

You are looking at it short term. They don’t need to tie into your panel to meter it. ChargePoint has chargers that can bill you directly. If only your landlord was incentivized to have the chargers installed. If EVs are going to replace gas cars, more range isn’t the answer. More infrastructure is.
He would be incentivized if there are more electric cars on the road. THEN landlords will be incentivized to get these chargers as they will bring tenants...cars first, infrastructure follows...same as gas stations for ICE cars a hundred years ago.

He would be incentivized if there are more electric cars on the road. THEN landlords will be incentivized to get these chargers as they will bring tenants...cars first, infrastructure follows...same as gas stations for ICE cars a hundred years ago.
I agree. That’s why you don’t tie up a lot of battery cells into fewer cars that only elitists can afford. 🤪

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
In real world driving, Teslas don’t offer appreciably more range than their competitors.

1623185963766.png

Model 3 won the test. And the model s, which they didn't test, beats the model 3.

In real world driving, Teslas offer appreciably more range than all their competitors.

Last edited:
To borrow a phrase...you are looking at it short term...batteries will get more efficient...range will follow! Long Live Range!

Not really. Any efficiency increase would ideally be used to lower the cost of EVs so that more people can buy them.

(the alternative Is to make all cars so expensive people use mass transit instead, but that is a different convo)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Not really. Any efficiency increase would ideally be used to lower the cost of EVs.
You are talking reducing the size of the battery (ie making it cheaper) but through efficiency get the same mileage a larger battery gets today? Sure, Tesla will always offer SR models for people that just city drive (Model 2?). For people that like choice and can afford it, there and always will be longer range more expensive models. I prefer choice. You can have any range (color) you like so long as its (black!) no more than 250 miles!

Reactions: TessP100D
You are talking reducing the size of the battery (ie making it cheaper) but through efficiency get the same mileage a larger battery gets today? Sure, Tesla will always offer SR models for people that just city drive (Model 2?). For people that like choice and can afford it, there and always will be longer range more expensive models. I prefer choice. You can have any range (color) you like so long as its (black!) no more than 250 miles!
The range of the mode t was around 30 miles. Think about how many gas stations that took.

• Disagree
Yes, but the discrepancy between Tesla’s EPA estimates and real world driving range is still wider than that of Porsche, VW, Audi or just about any other EV manufacturer you can name.

Those other automakers, though boasting lower rated range, come pretty close to their EPA estimates in real world driving. In a few cases they even exceed them. Teslas on the other hand, are wildly off the mark, even accounting for cold weather, using the HVAC and driving at 80 mph plus.

In real world driving, Teslas don’t offer appreciably more range than their competitors.
A reminder: It's not Tesla's estimate but the EPA's.
The only way Tesla can manipulate it if they do what VW did and their cars operate differently when they detect that they are being tested by the EPA.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cheburashka
Actually the range was between 130-200 miles. Model T had a 10 gallon tank and economy was between 13 and 21 mpg according to Ford...not bad considering...about as far as a Tesla M3 SR in a Nebraska winter...
I hate google:

AEE572A3-0FFE-4C78-93A0-4B0317665BB9.png

If you click the link, that quote refers to a steam engine.... FACK!

But still, with a range comparable to a model 3 sr, it still makes my point that more range isn’t really needed.

• Disagree
Yes, but the discrepancy between Tesla’s EPA estimates and real world driving range is still wider than that of Porsche, VW, Audi or just about any other EV manufacturer you can name.

Those other automakers, though boasting lower rated range, come pretty close to their EPA estimates in real world driving. In a few cases they even exceed them. Teslas on the other hand, are wildly off the mark, even accounting for cold weather, using the HVAC and driving at 80 mph plus.

Tesla's never meet EPA ratings and most other EV's do. Tesla needs to get this figured out!

Attachments

• evepa.JPG
    evepa.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Needsdecaf
You're right. I'm solving for the problem I have today and I'm not as interested in waiting for 40 years to get charging stations installed into every parking spot in every underground parking garage in every city. How short-sighted of me.

The Chargepoint solution doesn't work either. It can't communicate with the mothership when the charger is 6 stories underground, under dozens of feet of concrete and metal.

I have been driving Tesla since 2015. First Model S and for the last 3.5 years Model X. I preordered my Plaid+ back in December after a lot of consideration. I care most about the range, not the 1020 HP. Since I did not want to go through the hassle of getting an interim car, I extended the lease on my Model X until the end of 2021. Now Plaid+ is cancelled. Like all of you I found out about it not from Tesla but via the internet, which really sucks. Does anybody know what happens to those of us who have a Plaid+ on preorder already?
I think its a ploy to get Plaid Plus orders to switch to Plaid, then next year when the kinks are worked out, put out the Plus. notice Tesla has not canceled anyones Plus orders. If this car was not going to come in the future, they would cancel the orders or MAKE you switch.