Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats a setting that you can change. Can auto lane change on its own, or it has to wait for you to approve. Your choice within the nav menu settings.
That said, there are a couple of places near me where Im on one interstate at 65mph limit, and as the car approaches the ramp to exit onto another highway, the car waits until VERY last minute to slow down to the ramps 45mph limit. To the point where almost every time, it gives me the flashing red take control now warning. It literally approaches and starts to enter that ramp at full speed. Also, works best when in the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate. If in right lane, when you approach entrance ramps it tends to behave unnaturally when other cars merge onto the highway. It usually ignores them when if not on AP, I'd slow down a bit and let them merge on

What Ive found with AP/FSD? There is a difference between "it works" and "it works naturally like a human would handle".
Or it’s just plain sucks.
FSD you say…. Never will happen. Never

I tell everyone who asks me about FSD being worth the $10k. From me its a resounding "no". (I paid $6k for it couple years ago, and even at $6k I often feel that EAP was much better value) They often follow up with "but it's going to be or do xyz in the future, which will make it worth $10k right"

I then tell them that they need to be extremely cautious when believing any future promises/future plans provided by Elon/Tesla. Just based on pure history.
Thank ypu for being so honest and telling the truth

More range is not needed. I agree with him that 400 miles range is enough. You are wasting resources putting more battery into a single car once you get above that range, in my opinion. You are wasting those resources on extra mileage that might be used once or twice over the life of the car.

That isn’t to excuse the I am now I’m not business, just saying. He could have came to that conclusion sooner, just like with the bit coin switcharoo.
Those of us who can’t charge at home would disagree. More range means less frequent trips to the SC

Reactions: cryptyk
Thats a setting that you can change. Can auto lane change on its own, or it has to wait for you to approve. Your choice within the nav menu settings.
That said, there are a couple of places near me where Im on one interstate at 65mph limit, and as the car approaches the ramp to exit onto another highway, the car waits until VERY last minute to slow down to the ramps 45mph limit. To the point where almost every time, it gives me the flashing red take control now warning. It literally approaches and starts to enter that ramp at full speed. Also, works best when in the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate. If in right lane, when you approach entrance ramps it tends to behave unnaturally when other cars merge onto the highway. It usually ignores them when if not on AP, I'd slow down a bit and let them merge on

What Ive found with AP/FSD? There is a difference between "it works" and "it works naturally like a human would handle".

Right.

And people get so caught up in the "it works" part that they forget that the whole point of "it working" is to make your life easier. Not stress you out about what the car is or isn't going to do while you sit there nervously, waiting for it to fail. So instead of relaxing you, it stresses you out more. But hey, cool toy!

Driver monitoring for ADAS is supposed to be there for once in a while occurrences, not phantom braking events because the software is too stupid to know what an overpass is.

you nailed it. Good Customer service IS a sales tool. But it appears that when you are (were) the only game in town in your business...you tend to get a bit high (literally, on camera) and mighty and start by taking away perks, reducing or eliminating referral rewards, changing/reducing length of warranty coverage, randomly raising prices on a whim, reneging on various promises about loaner cars and other things, and consistently making promises/deadlines that you either had no intention of keeping or that you did not have the foresight to be able to realize reality vs imagination..as such, you dont consider customer service as a sales tool. Because without competition, people HAVE to come to you and buy if they want that product in a nice looking, fast package.

But the comp is coming fast..
But gosh, why did it take 10 years for any real competition?

BEV would be the same if it had a transmission instead of a single-speed fixed gear ratio. You'd sacrifice that instant torque at highway speed, however, because of a need to downshift.

No it would not. All other things being equal, speed is the single biggest use of energy. You can't get around air resistance at high speed being real problem. In an ICE, they are hit at low speeds because of lost energy during deceleration. They also are very inefficient at part loads. The transmission helps of course but there are many reasons EVs are better at low speeds.
A transmission would not make that go away because EV motors have a relatively flat efficiency curve at various RPMs and loads. Air resistance dominates and that is always much higher at high speeds on Earth.

Those of us who can’t charge at home would disagree. More range means less frequent trips to the SC
I thought the 4680 is supposed to increase capacity and decrease weight.

In an case, I believe the Plaid+ was cancelled due to many factors coming together at once, commodity prices, material and component availability, production ramping, labor, etc. all of which increase cost and limit productivity. Musk's comment "there are essentially zero trips above 400 miles where the driver doesn’t need to stop for restroom, food, coffee, etc. anyway" is probably an honest one and slightly cryptic admission there is only so much that can be done presently and the opportunity cost was to great. The profits from the Plaid+ are not there.

No it would not. All other things being equal, speed is the single biggest use of energy. You can't get around air resistance at high speed being real problem. In an ICE, they are hit at low speeds because of lost energy during deceleration. They also are very inefficient at part loads. The transmission helps of course but there are many reasons EVs are better at low speeds.
A transmission would not make that go away because EV motors have a relatively flat efficiency curve at various RPMs and loads. Air resistance dominates and that is always much higher at high speeds on Earth.
At fast highway speeds power is needed continuously. In city driving you are constantly speeding up and slowing down. In ICE cars, energy is wasted by friction brakes. Electric cars have regenerative breaking. I think regenerative braking is what produces better city mileage than highway mileage in EVs, and explains the difference relative to ICE cars.

Last edited:
Could not disagree more. 400 is not enough for me to buy a second Tesla and replace my road trip car. Trips on interstate highways or daily driving, yes 400 works. But road trips on two lane scenic highways is impossible because of a lack of charging options. Idaho's north/south hwy is, two lanes with nearly 400 miles between super chargers. I can not/will not get a second EV until it offers 500 miles minimum range.
can be better addressed with
Infrastructure improvements. If we really want EVs to be the future, fast charging is going to have to be like gas stations. Not like having a large heavy battery to drag around with us.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
And people get so caught up in the "it works" part that they forget that the whole point of "it working" is to make your life easier. Not stress you out about what the car is or isn't going to do while you sit there nervously, waiting for it to fail. So instead of relaxing you, it stresses you out more
This is so very true and is the reason why I will not pay for a "full self driving system" that requires constant monitoring against fluky edge cases. The highway combination of autosteer and adaptive cruise control is lower stress because the risk of failure is only high in situations you can easily anticipate like construction zones.

Agreed but that takes MUCH more time than just adding a larger battery. To keep the momentum going you need to do both.

not really. If you use less material to make each car you can make more cars Which will incentivize the build out of infrastructure, which will incentivize people buying EVs.

having a few cars with big batteries and sparse infrastructure is not incentivizing anything. You don’t have meet every use case right away. They already having more demand than cars...

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
not really. If you use less material to make each car you can make more cars Which will incentivize the build out of infrastructure, which will incentivize people buying EVs.

having a few cars with big batteries and sparse infrastructure is not incentivizing anything. You don’t have meet every use case right away. They already having more demand than cars...
We'll agree to disagree then. You are the first person I have come across who doesn't want more range! Tesla even makes LR versions!

Reactions: TessP100D