Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the 4680 that will be going into European and Texas Model Y's will be mostly similar battery chemistry, maybe slightly better but not everything that they talked about on Battery Day. I think they likely needed all those improvements in chemistry to make the Plaid+ but it's just too far out. Remember they did say on Battery Day they haven't solved all the issues yet on how to do it.

It'll be their battery partners mostly cranking out the 4680's to start with and I'm not expecting a massive range boost on those first Model Y's. Either they'll lower the number of batteries to keep it about the same or it'll be a 5% or so increase.

Like most here say, the Model S will improve overtime as all the cars do, one day this might exist but it could just be a Raven type refresh of the Plaid even by that point. Maybe they'll put the new chemistry into the existing cells and skip the 4680's on the S / X.

Out of the blue, I got a call on Friday afternoon to tell me my Plaid plus is likely going to be deliver in Mid 2022 but thats if everything goes well with the new battery pack. So there might be delays. He then said if I want, I can instead take delivery of one of the first regular Plaid in a few weeks. I refused the offer and said, I want the plus. And my lease on my P100D is not over till November anyway. And I have other cars to drive till then. Now this....

The call left me feeling like that was a crappy way to do business. To offer someone else's car to me and delay them???

Like others here, I wanted the extended range, new battery pack which would offer better ride quality and handling abilities. And seeing how they saw it do Laguna Seca as fast as a Mclaren 720S. Thats what I need...
We got the call last Tuesday and declined as well since we wanted to wait for the Plaid+. Had we known it was going to be cancelled (and a few more details on the Plaid), we might've chosen to take delivery this year instead.

If Elon thinks that the Plaid is so good that there doesn't need to be a + model, I would suggest he reads a poem by Edgar Guest entitled "Good Enough". Maybe he can get his thought process back in line---Tesla is supposed to be a leader, not just good enough
I know it's frustrating, but criticizing Musk for not being a leader seems off the mark, at least in comparison to most of the rest of the world. He's a nut, but is pretty amazing. I'm not a fan boy, just looking around at what else is out there.

Plaid+ did its job - to compete with Lucid announcements (notice the coinciding timing of the Plaid+ announcement). Elon needed it to be able to say "mine is way faster and goes way farther than yours". Now that media focus on Lucid is over, no problem "canceling" the product. They still have the 2020 Roadster on the drawing board in case anyone wants to compare vapourcars.
Yes sir. So typical of Elon.

So I signed up for plaid (no plus back then) on battery day. Company shifted my order to plus when that car was announced without asking whether I wanted to, where that car then got delayed for the better part of a year, but then I was glad to sit with the order because of the range. Now they cancel the car. I'm not going to take the available regular plaid anytime soon (no matter how much they don't want to pooch the quarter) because I'm not going to be an early adopter (guinea pig) for the removal of all the stalks my muscle memory knows how to use plus the addition of a yoke wheel of questionable safety. Combined with the way they run service (where I've almost always left the service center with more things broken than repaired) this is the least customer-focused company I have ever dealt with. This train is off the rails. Fortunately for me there are now enticing offerings from Porsche, Mercedes and Audi. Have you looked at the augmented reality heads-up display for the EQS? Too bad Tesla doesn't have the technological skill to offer something like it while they waste their time on an FSD system that will always require hands on the wheel to deal with disengagements and prevent crashes. Do you know that Mercedes and the EQS are about to roll out a hands-off level 3 highway system in Germany? Too bad Tesla can't figure that out. Admittedly these German cars are not as fast as Tesla's cars, but if this rant gets me blacklisted by the minions of the egomaniac in charge, I at least have the option of choosing a fast high-end Lucid. The key truth is that Tesla is no longer the only game in town in electric cars. If I still ran the hedge fund I had before I retired, I would act on that fact when trading opened Monday.
Thank you

Tesla needs to concentrate on building cars with more range, faster charge times and adding luxury... not fast 0-60 times. I would rather have a car go 500+ miles and charge 200 miles in 15 min or less with real leather interiors and nicer materials.
More range is not needed. I agree with him that 400 miles range is enough. You are wasting resources putting more battery into a single car once you get above that range, in my opinion. You are wasting those resources on extra mileage that might be used once or twice over the life of the car.

That isn’t to excuse the I am now I’m not business, just saying. He could have came to that conclusion sooner, just like with the bit coin switcharoo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
400 mile range is vaporware. With normal highway driving at 80mph, cold weather, you are looking at sub300 real world range
To be fair, the 400 miles EPA estimate is for the mixed cycle, not for 80 mph highway driving.
Show me a single car (ICE or electric) that meets its EPA estimate on the highway at 80 mph.

An electric vehicle is tested after being parked overnight, and with the battery fully charged. It’s then operated through successive city or highway driving cycles until the battery becomes depleted. It’s then brought back to a full charge. A technician determines the vehicle's energy consumption by dividing the kilowatt-hours of energy needed to replenish the battery by the number of miles driven. The latter is also used to determine an EV’s estimated operating range on a charge.

Unfortunately, there are elements inherent in the EPA’s testing procedures that tend to skew the ratings. For starters, vehicles are tested without a full load of passengers, cargo and options aboard. All else being equal, the heavier a vehicle’s rolling weight, the more energy is needed to reach and maintain a given speed.

Also, the tests are conducted indoors at room temperature. An electric car’s range tends to suffer when subjected to extremely cold or hot weather. This is both because of the adverse effects of high and low temperatures on a battery’s charge, and the drain caused by operating the heater and air conditioning.

What’s more, a given motorist’s driving habits can also affect an EV’s energy consumption. Lead-footed acceleration and driving at higher speeds will tend to drain the battery faster than will maintaining a smooth and steady pace. Driving on under-inflated tires will also cost an EV owner additional kilowatt-hours of electricity.

Good thing for your sake you can get your $100 back. (Assuming you reserved one in the first place.)

If the “switch” is a cheaper version but yet almost as good of specs as the more expensive version, then please switch me all day long. It’s when it goes the other way to where I have to spend more, would I possibly consider that a “bait and switch”.
My order was/is 1000.00.

Attachments

• 7AAEC098-F020-487A-8D4E-EC3F2AD6DA50.png
    7AAEC098-F020-487A-8D4E-EC3F2AD6DA50.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: petredge
Refundable though…yes?
I don’t want my order refunded, I want the car I reserved for $10k less than what the price had raised to and FSD for $8k lol.

I could take a trip to fantasy land and say I’d take them honoring that deal on a regular Plaid, but let’s be real, I would be more likely to have Elon personally deliver my car to my house than that, haha.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I know it's frustrating, but criticizing Musk for not being a leader seems off the mark, at least in comparison to most of the rest of the world. He's a nut, but is pretty amazing. I'm not a fan boy, just looking around at what else is out there.

He's pretty amazing... a car salesman that is. No, for sure he's not a good leader and by now he has really solidified his reputation of lying to the public or providing extremely optimistic promises which no sane person believes anymore.

He's not dumb, of course he won't admit openly they have issues with the new batteries or whatever else made them cancel the plus. He's always going to say whatever helps push more sales to the public.

More range is not needed. I agree with him that 400 miles range is enough. You are wasting resources putting more battery into a single car once you get above that range, in my opinion. You are wasting those resources on extra mileage that might be used once or twice over the life of the car.

That isn’t to excuse the I am now I’m not business, just saying. He could have came to that conclusion sooner, just like with the bit coin switcharoo.
Tesla is moving towards a structural battery pack while others feel battery exchanges are the future. Someday, if hydrogen fuel cell batteries are the norm replacement may be the way to go,

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
To be fair, the 400 miles EPA estimate is for the mixed cycle, not for 80 mph highway driving.
Show me a single car (ICE or electric) that meets its EPA estimate on the highway at 80 mph.
Yes, but the discrepancy between Tesla’s EPA estimates and real world driving range is still wider than that of Porsche, VW, Audi or just about any other EV manufacturer you can name.

Those other automakers, though boasting lower rated range, come pretty close to their EPA estimates in real world driving. In a few cases they even exceed them. Teslas on the other hand, are wildly off the mark, even accounting for cold weather, using the HVAC and driving at 80 mph plus.

In real world driving, Teslas don’t offer appreciably more range than their competitors.