Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So. Now looking at the regular, ole, plain jane Model S Plaid. 390 miles EPA rated range. Translating from Elon-speak to real world ownership and real world driving of three Teslas, I’m estimating a real world range of 270 miles. Not bad, but is it worth the price of trading up, when our newest Model X100D at three years old, offers up a real world, no-$hit-you-need-to-charge-now-range of 220 miles?

To our all-EV household, range is everything. Performance is just a bonus.

What a terrible experience for a new customer. They called me as well last week to change my Plaid+ order to regular plaid and I declined because it is not what I wanted and said I'm fine with waiting until mid 2022. The tesla rep agreed it would be worth the wait. Days later they cancel and I find out via a tweet. Not sure what their plan is now or if/when they will call me again. I imagine they will give a refund or try to get me in a regular plaid again which I don't think I want. Tesla definitely doesn't know how to treat new customers. This couldn't have been handled worse.

I wanted the structural 4680 battery pack for the range, quicker charging, faster/lighter car. I wonder how long before the 4680s make it in to the regular plaid?

I think its rather safe to say, that over the past several weeks (months?) in particular? Most Tesla owners (and non owners) faith in elon as a leader has NOT gone upwards.

I still stand by two things that could help elevate Tesla in the face of growing competition: 1)Step down as CEO/go focus on Boring/Starlink/SpaceX and have a more...shall we say..trustworthy leader running Tesla whose word you can trust/count on. Someone who has a strong and proven history of having a high "say/do" ratio, behind them and someone without their own twitter account.

2)Re-instate the PR team.

Last edited:
I think its rather safe to say, that over the past several weeks (months?) in particular? Most Tesla owners (and non owners) faith in elon as a leader has NOT gone upwards.

I still stand by two things that could help elevate Tesla in the face of growing competition: 1)Step down as CEO/go focus on Boring/Starlink/SpaceX and have a more...shall was say..trustworthy leader running Tesla. Someone who has a strong and proven history of having a high "say/do" ratio, behind them and someone without their own twitter account.

2)Re-instate the PR team.

3) Install someone as head of customer service who a) knows what it is and b) gives a crap about it being implemented. Clearly neither of these conditions are currently on the radar. Pure vision should include customer service, not just FSD.

Pun intended

Tesla is moving towards a structural battery pack while others feel battery exchanges are the future. Someday, if hydrogen fuel cell batteries are the norm replacement may be the way to go,

Nuclear fusion tho....

seriously I doubt anyone will go for replacement of cells. In sounds expensive from an infrastructure stand point, puts the depreciation costs on the manufacturer, and gives people a reason to NOT buy a new car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
Yes, but the discrepancy between Tesla’s EPA estimates and real world driving range is still wider than that of Porsche, VW, Audi or just about any other EV manufacturer you can name.

Those other automakers, though boasting lower rated range, come pretty close to their EPA estimates in real world driving. In a few cases they even exceed them. Teslas on the other hand, are wildly off the mark, even accounting for cold weather, using the HVAC and driving at 80 mph plus.

In real world driving, Teslas don’t offer appreciably more range than their competitors.

Yeah, but they are all estimating their range lower. Pretty sure if you look at the kwhr in each car, that would predict it's range almost exactly, regardless of what the manufacturer says. You can't do much around the physics of pushing a brick through the air at 75 mph. It takes a certain amount of kwhr. So, buy the car with the biggest battery and you'll get the biggest range.

So. Now looking at the regular, ole, plain jane Model S Plaid. 390 miles EPA rated range. Translating from Elon-speak to real world ownership and real world driving of three Teslas, I’m estimating a real world range of 270 miles. Not bad, but is it worth the price of trading up, when our newest Model X100D at three years old, offers up a real world, no-$hit-you-need-to-charge-now-range of 220 miles?

To our all-EV household, range is everything. Performance is just a bonus.
You might not be the target market for the Plaid. :) A regular model S will have more range than plaid. But, not much more range than the Model S around the same time you bought your X100D. It seems likely the battery is still 100 kwhr. It needs a bigger battery to have more range.

I remember the discrepancy between real world and Tesla miles was pretty extreme in my P90D, but it doesn't seem as bad in our Model 3s. I've gone 260 miles in my Performance 3 with a "Tesla range" of 300 miles. Our RWD LR model 3 does even better, since it's whr / mile is much lower. It could probably hit 300 miles on a charge pretty easily.

More range is not needed. I agree with him that 400 miles range is enough. You are wasting resources putting more battery into a single car once you get above that range, in my opinion. You are wasting those resources on extra mileage that might be used once or twice over the life of the car.

That isn’t to excuse the I am now I’m not business, just saying. He could have came to that conclusion sooner, just like with the bit coin switcharoo.
Extrs mileage used once or twice over the life of the car? What about people that live in apartments that don't have home charging? Extended range is a godsend for them as it means fewer trips to a supercharger...also great on road trips (which I do once or twice a quarter) to areas of the beaten track. I'd love a 500-600 mile range Tesla...that I can afford (ie not a Roadster)

What about the structural battery pack, 4680 Cells, faster charging, more energy density, more available power, and other innovations teased that were to be released for the + model only? These are the reasons I ordered this car. NOT for the range alone!

Not happy after waiting for this................................

Last edited:
Yeah, but they are all estimating their range lower. Pretty sure if you look at the kwhr in each car, that would predict it's range almost exactly, regardless of what the manufacturer says. You can't do much around the physics of pushing a brick through the air at 75 mph. It takes a certain amount of kwhr. So, buy the car with the biggest battery and you'll get the biggest range.
We did buy the car with the biggest battery. Twice. But I take your main point very well.

Reactions: TessP100D
You might not be the target market for the Plaid. :) A regular model S will have more range than plaid. But, not much more range than the Model S around the same time you bought your X100D. It seems likely the battery is still 100 kwhr. It needs a bigger battery to have more range.

I remember the discrepancy between real world and Tesla miles was pretty extreme in my P90D, but it doesn't seem as bad in our Model 3s. I've gone 260 miles in my Performance 3 with a "Tesla range" of 300 miles. Our RWD LR model 3 does even better, since it's whr / mile is much lower. It could probably hit 300 miles on a charge pretty easily.
Good point! Let’s see - at 412 miles EPA rated range, that should give me a real world range of 280 plus miles. Decidedly better, and enough range to complete my 280 mile weekly commute to work without stopping to charge.

My friends who own M3s of various configurations all remark very positively about their efficiency, especially as compared to our S and Xs.

The question is: with a 0-60 of 3.1 and range over 300 miles, will many persons find the
3) Install someone as head of customer service who a) knows what it is and b) gives a crap about it being implemented. Clearly neither of these conditions are currently on the radar. Pure vision should include customer service, not just FSD.

Pun intended
Great point. And something I had thought of as well. Somewhere (maybe on this forum) I suggested that Tesla court/hire away a very senior leader from Amazon's Customer Service division. And let him/her (or them/they since the individual may be coming from Amazon's Seattle location) have power to totally revamp customer service at Tesla.

Extrs mileage used once or twice over the life of the car? What about people that live in apartments that don't have home charging? Extended range is a godsend for them as it means fewer trips to a supercharger...also great on road trips (which I do once or twice a quarter) to areas of the beaten track. I'd love a 500-600 mile range Tesla...that I can afford (ie not a Roadster)
good points. Also the standard deduction of ~20% or so for those that live in cold climates as a factor. Or those that may tow something. Or both combined.

The question is: with a 0-60 of 3.1 and range over 300 miles, will many persons find the

Great point. And something I had thought of as well. Somewhere (maybe on this forum) I suggested that Tesla court/hire away a very senior leader from Amazon's Customer Service division. And let him/her (or them/they since the individual may be coming from Amazon's Seattle location) have power to totally revamp customer service at Tesla.

Yes, there are plenty of leaders in Customer Service that they could poach. Someone from CFA, Nordstrom, etc. Any retailer that knows how to give customer service.

My kid's camp offers CFA sandwiches to order every week. Used to be POS in the morning, but now they do it electronically. They sent out an email with a link, and you order...except that there's no payment. Instead they send you another email with a link to a payment. OK. Except that pretty much everyone got this trapped in their spam. I was told this by the camp, checked spam, nothing.

The camp called me to tell me that they had my order, but if I didn't pay I wouldn't get food. Gave me the location of the resturant and an email that they were ordering from. The email didn't work (likely I didn't write it down right) so i called the restaurant, at 7:45 PM. The person who answered said they'd get a hold of the catering manager.

By 8:00 the catering manager was calling me, from home, on her cell phone. She re-sent the email, then texted me to make sure I had gotten it, then texted me to make sure I knew she got the payment. At 8:15 PM, while not working. For a $10 chicken sandwich with fruit cup.

THAT is customer service. I didn't expect it. I figured it was a long shot, and likely we were just going to send my kid in with a packed lunch like normal. But I thought, hey, let's see how good they are.

Well, clearly they give a crap.

Customers want tons of free and precise customer service and constant access to data and information.
Businesses want to run as efficiently as possible.

Solution would be to simply charge for all customer/corporation communications.
They could charge ala carte for those wishing to constantly be updated on everything.

Maybe $5 per minute would be appropriate for general calls. Another $5 minute for any internal research they would need to do to answer the not so easy questions. Pehaps even complaints could be processed @ $5 minute/ maybe $10 Min for panel gap alignments.

This way, those who simply wait patiently could get their cars when they arrive at the time scheduled by a simple text. Those needing special services like last minute financing, delayed insurance information, updates on trade in value or technical questions could be billed by Tesla profit center.

This is perhaps tongue in cheek, but perhaps would simply put a price on customer service needs.