Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More range is not needed. I agree with him that 400 miles range is enough. You are wasting resources putting more battery into a single car once you get above that range, in my opinion. You are wasting those resources on extra mileage that might be used once or twice over the life of the car.

That isn’t to excuse the I am now I’m not business, just saying. He could have came to that conclusion sooner, just like with the bit coin switcharoo.
I beg to differ the advertised range of 400 is with a 100% charge, going to 0! Real life scenario, you charge to 90% and drive to 20%. With lacking infrastructure, 20% on the low side is conservative. So essentially you have a net 70% (theoretical of course) of 400, or 280... In real life, you get about 70% of displayed range, or about 200 actual miles. That's about 1/2 the rated range. Just saying (2017 S P100D)

I think it was pretty silly to announce the Plaid+ a year out and describe it so specifically, particularly WRT to 520 miles of range. All you're doing is setting tough expectations and constraining yourself. I doubt the range part is "cancelled," but when it arrives was probably subject to the Elon factor, and the realized they were just boxing themselves in. The 520 mile range and structural battery pack is probably in the cards in the future, but as to when who knows.

Also, WRT range, people are expressing all sorts of opinions here, so here's mine: if your car has a maximum range that is greater than or equivalent to the maximum amount you can drive it in a day, you're probably good, as long as your destination has the infrastructure to charge your car overnight. I tend to top out at 500 in a day, so a car that can support that without meaningful battery degradation would do the trick for me. At that point the argument for ICE just withers up and dies.

So say you only get 80% of your rated range of 500 and further say you're only willing to consume 90% of that range at a time for battery preservation. That's 500/.8/.9= about 694 of rated range. I bet we see that in 5 years. And every range increase along the way will be welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: IdahoRenegade
How does Elon
The things that irk me about this "announcement" is the following:

1. It was announced via a throwaway Elon tweet.
2. The reason for the Plaid Plus being "good enough" is, at best, condescending (especially toward those people who deposited on one!), and an outright lie at worst.
3. It would appear that reservation holders are not being given more of the story, nor being comped to switch in any way.
4. The 4680 cells, which have been hugely hyped, are suddenly absent from the discussion.

I suppose we shall see how many questions get answered at the Plaid launch event on Thursday. But needless to say, this is an absolute masterclass of how NOT to handle a situation regarding product change.

Honesty, it seems, is not as difficult for people to swallow. Much harder to swallow a BS pill with a sugar coating on it.
Going with this as well.

Well, I think bigger batteries are somewhat easier than changing tens of thousands of apartment blocks in North America...for now at least! Also, as battery tech improves it might not necessarily mean bigger batteries, just better management?
Is this actually true? I think the cost of adding chargers to tens of thousands of apartment blocks is going to be puny compared to the cost of adding an extra 30kWh to the battery of millions of apartment dwellers' cars. Also, fast charging at grocery stores is a better solution.

I think it was pretty silly to announce the Plaid+ a year out and describe it so specifically, particularly WRT to 520 miles of range. All you're doing is setting tough expectations and constraining yourself. I doubt the range part is "cancelled," but when it arrives was probably subject to the Elon factor, and the realized they were just boxing themselves in. The 520 mile range and structural battery pack is probably in the cards in the future, but as to when who knows.

Also, WRT range, people are expressing all sorts of opinions here, so here's mine: if your car has a maximum range that is greater than or equivalent to the maximum amount you can drive it in a day, you're probably good, as long as your destination has the infrastructure to charge your car overnight. I tend to top out at 500 in a day, so a car that can support that without meaningful battery degradation would do the trick for me. At that point the argument for ICE just withers up and dies.

So say you only get 80% of your rated range of 500 and further say you're only willing to consume 90% of that range at a time for battery preservation. That's 500/.8/.9= about 694 of rated range. I bet we see that in 5 years. And every range increase along the way will be welcome.
Elon announced Plaid+ to hold on to customers that were looking at Lucid Air.

As someone that owns stock, I'm glad to see it. Plus was an ego-booster that likely would never be profitable, but would suck up design, engineering and production resource, and create more model proliferation and stress on the supply chain. Personally, I'd rather see them work on getting the cost of the 3 and Y down towards the level of a similar sized ICE car (Camry/Rav4) and really knock out the competition.

Tesla needs to concentrate on building cars with more range, faster charge times and adding luxury... not fast 0-60 times. I would rather have a car go 500+ miles and charge 200 miles in 15 min or less with real leather interiors and nicer materials.
That's the new Roadster. 600+ mile range, probably with a 200 kWh battery so 3 miles/kWh. At 250 kW charging that's 188 miles/15 minutes, so close enough. AND the insane 0-60, too. I'm guessing the interior will be nice, but who knows. Yours for only $200K some year soon-ish. :)