Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't wait for this Model S Plaid delivery event, but I wonder if there will more news
than the presentation of the redesigned dashboard requiring a 6 months halt of production?

Note: May be Elon Musk will announced that I will retire so he will be able to become the 3rd passenger
of the Blue Origin first commercial flight with Jeff Bezos and his brother.

Last edited:
Breaking Plaid, you say?

CBF094DC-ABF1-484E-854D-7EA81D496294.jpeg

I have been driving Tesla since 2015. First Model S and for the last 3.5 years Model X. I preordered my Plaid+ back in December after a lot of consideration. I care most about the range, not the 1020 HP. Since I did not want to go through the hassle of getting an interim car, I extended the lease on my Model X until the end of 2021. Now Plaid+ is cancelled. Like all of you I found out about it not from Tesla but via the internet, which really sucks. Does anybody know what happens to those of us who have a Plaid+ on preorder already?

(I assume you mean FSD)

I don't get this. "Nav on Autopilot" only works on the highway while on the highway, with you hands on the wheel, with the promise of more to come, someday, maybe. And for this the buyer paid , what, up to $10K?
I tried using Nav on Autopilot, it scared the crap out of me. Turned it off after 2-3 times. Asking permission for every lane change. That is not going to be the answer. Especially on the German Autobahn (where the speed limit is shown on huge illuminated signs above the highway which the Tesla cannot recognize by the way).

The range debate is surely a leftover from people who think they need XXX mile of range made by people who live with a much lower XXX range and life is just fine. Obviously there are people that would like a huge range number for various specific reasons. But there are also many that think they need a huge range number when they really don't.
Given the actual cost, the environmental cost and the weight of big batteries, it certainly isn't the answer for a lack of home/work charging.
I really really don't get the ... drive down to 20%. Have some faith - drive down to 5%. It will be okay..... And obviously on trips, you charge to 100%, it will be okay.

The range debate is surely a leftover from people who think they need XXX mile of range made by people who live with a much lower XXX range and life is just fine. Obviously there are people that would like a huge range number for various specific reasons. But there are also many that think they need a huge range number when they really don't.
Given the actual cost, the environmental cost and the weight of big batteries, it certainly isn't the answer for a lack of home/work charging.
I really really don't get the ... drive down to 20%. Have some faith - drive down to 5%. It will be okay..... And obviously on trips, you charge to 100%, it will be okay.
Elon just settled the debate for all his believers, 390 is just so good, there is no need for 500+, hence no need for Plaid+.

Reactions: InternetDude
Customers want tons of free and precise customer service and constant access to data and information.
Businesses want to run as efficiently as possible.

Solution would be to simply charge for all customer/corporation communications.
They could charge ala carte for those wishing to constantly be updated on everything.

Maybe $5 per minute would be appropriate for general calls. Another $5 minute for any internal research they would need to do to answer the not so easy questions. Pehaps even complaints could be processed @ $5 minute/ maybe $10 Min for panel gap alignments.

This way, those who simply wait patiently could get their cars when they arrive at the time scheduled by a simple text. Those needing special services like last minute financing, delayed insurance information, updates on trade in value or technical questions could be billed by Tesla profit center.

This is perhaps tongue in cheek, but perhaps would simply put a price on customer service needs.
Genius! Given all the production quality issues, weird car failures which cannot be easily reproduced, and a virtually unlimited supply of software bugs coming with each update, Tesla could finally turn a profit per car, without the need for carbon credits and bitcoin manipulation flips! Perhaps they could patent profiting from software bugs as a business method too! Who needs QA, the more bugs the more money you make.

Of course they would not sell many cars, but at least would make money on each car they sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Needsdecaf
I can't wait for this Model S Plaid delivery event, but I wonder if there will more news
than the presentation of the redesigned dashboard requiring a 6 months halt of production?

Note: May be Elon Musk will announced that I will retire so he will be able to become the 3rd passenger
of the Blue Origin first commercial flight with Jeff Bezos and his brother.
Elon a 3rd passenger? ROFL, not in this lifetime. If you said, Elon will announce that he will personally fly the next Starship prototype the day before Bezos scheduled flight and to a much higher altitude orbit, sure. Of course Elon would then delay the even via twitter, saying he needs few more days, then say he will do it by the end of the year for sure and this time all the way to the moon (on autopilot too), then cancel it mid-next year saying life on Earth is just so good he need not go to the moon. :cool:

Elon announced Plaid+ to hold on to customers that were looking at Lucid Air.
I'm not sure that would have been necessary. The Lucid is still a pipe dream. It's where the S was....11-12 years ago-not even on the market. And the company is more where Tesla was in 2007-8, with no proven production facilities, no sales/support infrastructure, no skilled production management or supply chain. Not everyone that puts together a couple prototype BEVs is going to be the next Tesla. To me, actually getting into the auto manufacturing business (perhaps the toughest on in the world) and thriving is a pretty amazing accomplishment for Tesla. To do so with entirely new technology and dominating their market is even more impressive.

I tried using Nav on Autopilot, it scared the crap out of me. Turned it off after 2-3 times. Asking permission for every lane change. That is not going to be the answer. Especially on the German Autobahn (where the speed limit is shown on huge illuminated signs above the highway which the Tesla cannot recognize by the way).
Thats a setting that you can change. Can auto lane change on its own, or it has to wait for you to approve. Your choice within the nav menu settings.
That said, there are a couple of places near me where Im on one interstate at 65mph limit, and as the car approaches the ramp to exit onto another highway, the car waits until VERY last minute to slow down to the ramps 45mph limit. To the point where almost every time, it gives me the flashing red take control now warning. It literally approaches and starts to enter that ramp at full speed. Also, works best when in the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate. If in right lane, when you approach entrance ramps it tends to behave unnaturally when other cars merge onto the highway. It usually ignores them when if not on AP, I'd slow down a bit and let them merge on

What Ive found with AP/FSD? There is a difference between "it works" and "it works naturally like a human would handle".

Thats a setting that you can change. Can auto lane change on its own, or it has to wait for you to approve. Your choice within the nav menu settings.
That said, there are a couple of places near me where Im on one interstate at 65mph limit, and as the car approaches the ramp to exit onto another highway, the car waits until VERY last minute to slow down to the ramps 45mph limit. To the point where almost every time, it gives me the flashing red take control now warning. It literally approaches and starts to enter that ramp at full speed. Also, works best when in the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate. If in right lane, when you approach entrance ramps it tends to behave unnaturally when other cars merge onto the highway. It usually ignores them when if not on AP, I'd slow down a bit and let them merge on

What Ive found with AP/FSD? There is a difference between "it works" and "it works naturally like a human would handle".
Yes, the lane change setting can be changed to....."change lanes on its own"...(?). I'm not sure which option is worse.

Yes, the car is going 80 mph right onto the top of the exit ramp. Not natural at all.

I was truly disappointed with FSD, expecting the car to actually drive me to the destination, not autosteer me full speed onto the exit ramp or only work on selected highways. I'm glad I tried it out. It is not something I would pay for.

Yes, the lane change setting can be changed to....."change lanes on its own"...(?). I'm not sure which option is worse.

Yes, the car is going 80 mph right onto the top of the exit ramp. Not natural at all.

I was truly disappointed with FSD, expecting the car to actually drive me to the destination, not autosteer me full speed onto the exit ramp or only work on selected highways. I'm glad I tried it out. It is not something I would pay for.
I tell everyone who asks me about FSD being worth the $10k. From me its a resounding "no". (I paid $6k for it couple years ago, and even at $6k I often feel that EAP was much better value) They often follow up with "but it's going to be or do xyz in the future, which will make it worth $10k right"

I then tell them that they need to be extremely cautious when believing any future promises/future plans provided by Elon/Tesla. Just based on pure history.

Is this actually true? I think the cost of adding chargers to tens of thousands of apartment blocks is going to be puny compared to the cost of adding an extra 30kWh to the battery of millions of apartment dwellers' cars. Also, fast charging at grocery stores is a better solution.
Er, I think it likely to be using larger batteries in new cars rather than modifying current vehicles! I for one would prefer a larger capacity battery and go further between charges. If you just pootle around your town and have your own home charger then maybe not for you, but for people that venture further afield, a larger battery is a godsend as it would be for apartment dwellers, and has been pointed out, for people who live in colder climates. If you dont want more range then you are in the minority for sure
Uh, sure, I guess. If I lived in an apartment that had a giant fridge but no dedicated parking, yeah it would make really long range more useful, sure.
So like most apartments nowadays then....thanks for clearing that up.

Reactions: msm859
More range is not needed. I agree with him that 400 miles range is enough. You are wasting resources putting more battery into a single car once you get above that range, in my opinion. You are wasting those resources on extra mileage that might be used once or twice over the life of the car.

That isn’t to excuse the I am now I’m not business, just saying. He could have came to that conclusion sooner, just like with the bit coin switcharoo.
Could not disagree more. 400 is not enough for me to buy a second Tesla and replace my road trip car. Trips on interstate highways or daily driving, yes 400 works. But road trips on two lane scenic highways is impossible because of a lack of charging options. Idaho's north/south hwy is, two lanes with nearly 400 miles between super chargers. I can not/will not get a second EV until it offers 500 miles minimum range.

Elon a 3rd passenger? ROFL, not in this lifetime. If you said, Elon will announce that he will personally fly the next Starship prototype the day before Bezos scheduled flight and to a much higher altitude orbit, sure. Of course Elon would then delay the even via twitter, saying he needs few more days, then say he will do it by the end of the year for sure and this time all the way to the moon (on autopilot too), then cancel it mid-next year saying life on Earth is just so good he need not go to the moon. :cool:
Sounds about right to me.