Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its a ploy to get Plaid Plus orders to switch to Plaid, then next year when the kinks are worked out, put out the Plus. notice Tesla has not canceled anyones Plus orders. If this car was not going to come in the future, they would cancel the orders or MAKE you switch.
I’m with you as my plaid+ is still showing. Tesla can’t make me switch anything unless I want to.

Reactions: repoanything
You're right. I'm solving for the problem I have today and I'm not as interested in waiting for 40 years to get charging stations installed into every parking spot in every underground parking garage in every city. How short-sighted of me.

The Chargepoint solution doesn't work either. It can't communicate with the mothership when the charger is 6 stories underground, under dozens of feet of concrete and metal.

well, I mean, it could. With a hard wired data connection.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
I’m with you as my plaid+ is still showing. Tesla can’t make me switch anything unless I want to.
They can’t make you buy something else, but they could theoretically cancel your order and refund your deposit - especially if they never make the model you ordered.

Now the sticky point I would personally be upset about is, if they canceled my ordered and refunded me the deposit, then still made the Plaid+ at point in the future (even if it’s 2-3 years away), I would not be happy about having to order it again at the newer (and invariably higher) prices.

I hate google:

View attachment 671073
If you click the link, that quote refers to a steam engine.... FACK!

But still, with a range comparable to a model 3 sr, it still makes my point that more range isn’t really needed.
Makes your point? Hardly. Your point was people don't need more than 250 miles range if we had infrastructure everywhere it could possibly be needed. I agree with that but we don't have that yet, nor is it likely in the next couple of decades, if perhaps ever. Bigger batteries to go further are what is needed right now. At the same time develop the battery tech to get more range from the larger batteries. Of course there is a tipping point but 250 miles ain't it! Lots of ICE cars give 30 miles per gallon. Did the manufacturers stop there? Nope. Some cars now give 40 miles per gallon or even 50 or more. To get more range they use larger gas tanks too...I can get 400 miles from my wife's Pathfinder before refills...I would like something similar or better in an electric vehicle...you clearly don't want more miles. Good for you, but I think the vast majority do want more range and your attempts to makes a good case for lower range just doesnt add up in the real world. Anyway, good sparring with you but I'll bow out now.

Reactions: QUBO
The extra range doesn’t incentivize infrastructure build out, that was my point. There may come a time when it is important to meet the limited cases where 500 Mile range is useful, that time isn’t now, and you presented no evidence that it is needed now.

• Disagree
That isn’t required...

What's your infrastructure proposal, then? High-rise parking spots are legally assigned and deeded to each home owner. There's no room for shared spots unless you take them away from someone. I'm sure not parking my car outside my secure garage in the city.

"Infrastructure" isn't a plan that eliminates the need for high mileage cars in urban areas.

They can’t make you buy something else, but they could theoretically cancel your order and refund your deposit - especially if they never make the model you ordered.

Now the sticky point I would personally be upset about is, if they canceled my ordered and refunded me the deposit, then still made the Plaid+ at point in the future (even if it’s 2-3 years away), I would not be happy about having to order it again at the newer (and invariably higher) prices.
For sure it will be way higher. But the Plaid is good enough though.

Heres a list for you. Notice Tesla NEVER meets the EPA but other EV's do.
Again, don't blame Tesla, blame the EPA. Tesla does not come up with the EPA number. It's the EPA that tests the car and determines the estimate.
You may say that EPA's estimate is not as realistic as Edmund's, but that is a very different from saying that Tesla doesn't meet its EPA estimate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cheburashka
Heres a list for you. Notice Tesla NEVER meets the EPA but other EV's do.
Also, Edmunds itself admits that its estimates are not more accurate than the EPA's. They are just different.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.24.33 PM.png

Reactions: 2101Guy
Can you check if Edmunds did run the test until reaching 0% range display or until the car died like Inside EV did?
There was actually something about this but I don’t remember exactly how it went but I do know all of the cars were tested the same. But I think Tesla had the ability to go below zero a number of miles like 10 or 20 based on the car. Which would make it a bit more even but still Tesla shed show people the correct range.

What's your infrastructure proposal, then?

More of it.

"Infrastructure" isn't a plan that eliminates the need for high mileage cars in urban areas.
Sure it is. There is no need for high mileage cars in an urban environment. You don’t need your own personal parking spot with charging. You want one. Because you are greedy and somewhat lazy, like most humans.

Charge at the station like the rest of us mouth breathers and be happy about it. Ice drivers don’t complain because they have to drive five minutes to the gas station yet you demand to be allowed to charge at home. Ridiculous.

• Disagree
The extra range doesn’t incentivize infrastructure build out, that was my point. There may come a time when it is important to meet the limited cases where 500 Mile range is useful, that time isn’t now, and you presented no evidence that it is needed now.
No, but you just did. As you said, the charging infrastructure isn't available right now to accommodate the current crop of BEVs range. I used one of the BEV-focused trip planners to check some of my popular scenic routes in my area. They kept coming back with a negative reserve number between available charging stations. Some areas, urban ones or along major highways, you can get by just fine. Want to go take in some long scenic trips on the backroads? Better wait a few more years.

No, but you just did. As you said, the charging infrastructure isn't available right now to accommodate the current crop of BEVs range.
Yeah... ok... I’m with you so far...

I used one of the BEV-focused trip planners to check some of my popular scenic routes in my area. They kept coming back with a negative reserve number between available charging stations.

ok... so an edge case then... EVs don’t need to meet all edge cases right now... Demand exceeds supply, currently.

Some areas, urban ones or along major highways, you can get by just fine. Want to go take in some long scenic trips on the backroads? Better wait a few more years.

yes, I agree with you. Wait a few more years till there are much more EVs on the road. Then businesses will be incentivized to build ev charging stations along more routes and your first problem and second problem will be solved with out dumping a lot of resources into one large battery.

I said all this before. You must not have read it.

• Disagree