Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Two days ago a sales rep at the Raleigh dealership texted me and gave me info on how to “prepare” for my Plaid delivery (my apparently $156,000 Plaid).
In other words, they were just converting my order the the Plaid. THAT prompted me to cancel. I was interested in the increased range. I am more than happy with my 2019 Long Range currently.
Got it. That's super shady. If they give all of the plaid plus reservation holders the same option: take a lesser car or lose your refund, I think there will be outrage. Thanks for flagging this early.

The question was which one would result in more adoption. Your answer is invalid.
There you go again, you are just looking for the answer YOU want and already have in your head. Total inability to see others perspective. Its quite obvious BOTH will drive more adoption. Longer range will switch more ICE owners and cheaper will ensure larger numbers of less well-off who can buy in. I know you get this but you seem to just enjoy being obtuse.

This morning I was thinking about why the subject of this thread still really annoys me and I realized that I've been entirely too rational. I've posted on the need for range, and that plaid (as opposed to plaid+) might not give me what I need for my maximum use case - which is a 160 mile round trip at highway speeds on a New England snow day on a single charge.

But that's not the point, is it? The point, which it took me until this morning to realize, probably because my own emotional self-awareness isn't that great, is that the company called a large number of plaid+ reservation holders and asked them whether they would switch their order from plaid+ to plaid. And the collective response, judging by the threads on this subject, was a resounding "no." It certainly was from me. And the company's answer to that collective response was not "Thank you customers, we hear you." Their answer was "Wrong answer, fools, your order for the car you just told us you want is now cancelled!" Where this was followed by "And all of you who told us which car you want are too stupid to realize that you never needed what you think you wanted anyway." And I think they also tacitly communicated "We could have given you what you want - otherwise we would just have cancelled the plaid+ without going to the trouble of calling you all first and asking if you would switch to the car we want to sell you - but not enough of you caved, so we had to take stronger measures."

My answer to all this, and my statement to Tesla generally, now begins with the letter "F" and ends with the letter "u."

So my plan is to follow the rollout of the Mercedes EQS in the second half to see what it's real-world range and availability turns out to be. Unfortunately I don't think the Audi GT RS or Taycan Turbo, as pretty, sporty and desirable as they are, have the range I need for my upcoming use case. And if these (or Lucid, which is still vaporware) don't pan out, I can see myself buying a used Raven Performance to give me the range I need this coming winter: I know the P85D that I own and love doesn't have it. But if I buy a used Raven it won't be from Tesla, it would be through a private sale, because it would annoy me to have to give Tesla Inc the revenue.

Last edited:
I just logged into my Tesla account and went through the cancellation process for my Plaid +. I didn't actually cancel, but it looks like I would have received my deposit back without any fuss.

refund.jpg

Who is talking about anxiety from range? The vast majority of owners want more. If you don't, good for you. What is 'good enough' for you wont necessarily be good enough for others. What if I told you your salary was 'good enough' and no more raises for you? Your home was 'good enough', don't think about moving, Bluebell Vanilla was good enough, we don't need any more flavors! People that suggest 'good enough' should cover everyone else has a clear lack of understanding of human nature!
Calm down Sir. I was quoting someone else. I didn’t start the “range anxiety” topic. Go back a few pages in this thread. I was having fun with him.

Even with 500+ miles of range it wouldn’t be “enough”. It’s not that the cars have insufficient range. Far from it. It’s because EV charging infrastructure is still scarce. Especially for people just coming from an ICE vehicle where you can get gas anywhere in single digit minutes. Until that’s corrected and charging times get a bit shorter range anxiety will always be part of EVs. Tesla has done a good job with this but there’s still a lot more that needs to be done.

Reactions: avesraggiana
This morning I was thinking about why the subject of this thread still really annoys me and I realized that I've been entirely too rational. I've posted on the need for range, and that plaid (as opposed to plaid+) might not give me what I need for my maximum use case - which is a 160 mile round trip at highway speeds on a New England snow day on a single charge.

But that's not the point, is it? The point, which it took me until this morning to realize, probably because my own emotional self-awareness isn't that great, is that the company called a large number of plaid+ reservation holders and asked them whether they would switch their order from plaid+ to plaid. And the collective response, judging by the threads on this subject, was a resounding "no." It certainly was from me. And the company's answer to that collective response was not "Thank you customers, we hear you." Their answer was "Wrong answer, fools, your order for the car you just told us you want is now cancelled!" Where this was followed by "And all of you who told us which car you want are too stupid to realize that you never needed what you think you wanted anyway." And I think they also tacitly communicated "We could have given you what you want - otherwise we would just have cancelled the plaid+ without going to the trouble of calling you all first and asking if you would switch to the car we want to sell you - but not enough of you caved, so we had to take stronger measures."

My answer to all this, and my statement to Tesla generally, now begins with the letter "F" and ends with the letter "u."

So my plan is to follow the rollout of the Mercedes EQS in the second half to see what it's real-world range and availability turns out to be. Unfortunately I don't think the Audi GT RS or Taycan Turbo, as pretty, sporty and desirable as they are, have the range I need for my upcoming use case. And if these (or Lucid, which is still vaporware) don't pan out, I can see myself buying a used Raven Performance to give me the range I need this coming winter: I know the P85D that I own and love doesn't have it. But if I buy a used Raven it won't be from Tesla, it would be through a private sale, because it would annoy me to have to give Tesla Inc the revenue.
It really is that simple, no need to over react about a car. Whoever doesn’t like what Tesla is doing, how they’re handling this, etc just move on. Choose a different manufacturer and go from there 👍

It really is that simple, no need to over react about a car. Whoever doesn’t like what Tesla is doing, how they’re handling this, etc just move on. Choose a different manufacturer and go from there 👍
I can't wait until there's some real competition. Lucid is close (on paper), but SO ugly. EQS doesn't even come close in performance and looks like a Prius and an egg had a baby.

Reactions: DukeofURL
Even with 500+ miles of range it wouldn’t be “enough”. It’s not that the cars have insufficient range. Far from it. It’s because EV charging infrastructure is still scarce. Especially for people just coming from an ICE vehicle where you can get gas anywhere in single digit minutes. Until that’s corrected and charging times get a bit shorter range anxiety will always be part of EVs. Tesla has done a good job with this but there’s still a lot more that needs to be done.
Can you provide more detail? In US, I think there are now very few locations where you cannot find a Tesla Supercharger within a 250 miles range.

I would agree that in winter with bad weather and 5 or 7 passengers with their luggage, and also one or two bicycles on a tow rack,
I would recommend using an ICE car.

Another issue is that the Tesla Superchargers are located along main highways, so if you plan making a trip in some isolated areas for several days,
like in a National Park, you need to find a plug at your destination and plan to keep your car plugged a full day if you can only fin a 120 V 15 A plug.

Otherwise if you depend only on Tesla Superchargers, you can only drive away in the wilderness in a radius of about 150 miles,
in this case using an ICE car would be a better option.

Can you provide more detail? In US, I think there are now very few locations where you cannot find a Tesla Supercharger within a 250 miles range.

I would agree that in winter with bad weather and 5 or 7 passengers with their luggage, and also one or two bicycles on a tow rack,
I would recommend using an ICE car.

Another issue is that the Tesla Superchargers are located along main highways, so if you plan making a trip in some isolated areas for several days,
like in a National Park, you need to find a plug at your destination and plan to keep your car plugged a full day if you can only fin a 120 V 15 A plug.

Otherwise if you depend only on Tesla Superchargers, you can only drive away in the wilderness in a radius of about 150 miles,
in this case using an ICE car would be a better option.
They have done a great job, as you said there are Superchargers nearly everywhere that is 250mi or less apart, but they have more to do because charging time (while greatly improved) is still significantly slower than gasoline. A stop for a full tank fill up takes 10-15 minutes (generously, frequently less), whereas it can take 45-60 minutes in a Tesla.

Not often will you need 400 miles of range, but as has been said, 400mi EPA can come out to less than 200 when keeping between 80% and 20% and driving during the winter. That's when the large battery comes in handy... and if you're towing, then cut the estimates in half again haha.

Reactions: IdahoRenegade