Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you provide more detail? In US, I think there are now very few locations where you cannot find a Tesla Supercharger within a 250 miles range.

I would agree that in winter with bad weather and 5 or 7 passengers with their luggage, and also one or two bicycles on a tow rack,
I would recommend using an ICE car.

Another issue is that the Tesla Superchargers are located along main highways, so if you plan making a trip in some isolated areas for several days,
like in a National Park, you need to find a plug at your destination and plan to keep your car plugged a full day if you can only fin a 120 V 15 A plug.

Otherwise if you depend only on Tesla Superchargers, you can only drive away in the wilderness in a radius of about 150 miles,
in this case using an ICE car would be a better option.
I'm one of the many people that relies on superchargers for my daily driving. It doesn't make sense to install a charger at home. More range means fewer trips to the supercharger. A few things could improve this:
1) Chargers EVERYWHERE so I can charge while I'm at the store, mall, restaurants, camping, at a friend's house, etc.
2) Very fast charging, similar to ICE fill-ups. If I can charge in 5 minutes, I don't mind stopping every few days to fill up.
3) More range. If I had a 1,000 mile range car, I don't mind taking it to a supercharger once per week and spending a couple of hours there.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I can't wait until there's some real competition. Lucid is close (on paper), but SO ugly. EQS doesn't even come close in performance and looks like a Prius and an egg had a baby.

Having seen it in person, I think the Lucid Air is more plain and boring, not ugly. Especially in a boring color like black or silver. The Lucid Air seems like a great car, heck I even grabbed a few shares of the stock, but personally I would still buy the Tesla:

practical reasons
1. hatchback utility
2. with the supercharging network, I think 400mi of Tesla range is actually a bit more road-trippable than 517mi of Lucid range.

non-practical reasons
3. Tesla S still looks better
4. the factory is in my hometown

Lucid Air would be my 2nd choice. The EQS is too ostentatious and gets 3rd. The Porsche's limited range and tiny trunk make it 4th.

Reactions: Watts_Up
@Panus
About your case where it says there is no refund, I would contact customer service via chat to ask for it. As others pointed out, given the car was cancelled by Tesla, Tesla can't keep the money, the $1000 must be refunded to you (others linked an example). Technically that large deposit is refundable even if you decided not to order (as long as car hasn't reached production stage). Even for when I reserved my Model 3 for $1000, the deposit was refunded when I cancelled due to waiting for Model Y (I later reordered a Model 3 with a different order given no news of Model Y SR).

There is a different $100 order fee that is not refundable, but people had have success getting that refunded also.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Who is talking about anxiety from range? The vast majority of owners want more. If you don't, good for you. What is 'good enough' for you wont necessarily be good enough for others. What if I told you your salary was 'good enough' and no more raises for you? Your home was 'good enough', don't think about moving, Bluebell Vanilla was good enough, we don't need any more flavors! People that suggest 'good enough' should cover everyone else has a clear lack of understanding of human nature!
Well said.

@Panus I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure you'll get you deposit back.

Read the 2nd page, 4th paragraph, 4th sentence of your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement:

"Until you complete your Vehicle configuration, your order will be considered a pre-order and you may cancel it at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of any paid Order Deposit."

Wait a few days then email or call them for a status.

Because the model has been canceled. I was interested in the range, not going a million miles per hour.
It was not canceled. Only elon said it was. The officials at Tesla have not canceled anyone. Including me. The only reason for elons Tweet is its coming later. Tesla just doesnt want all those sales waiting till next year. I just watched an interview from last night with Brooks from Dragtimes at the Tesla event and he was talking to one of the engineers on the 3 plaid motors that each motor is producing 412 HP and Brooks comment on them producing over 1200 HP and the engineer slipped up and said when the batteries produce more power and was then interrupted. Plaid plus is not going anywhere.

It was not canceled. Only elon said it was. The officials at Tesla have not canceled anyone. Including me. The only reason for elons Tweet is its coming later. Tesla just doesnt want all those sales waiting till next year. I just watched an interview from last night with Brooks from Dragtimes at the Tesla event and he was talking to one of the engineers on the 3 plaid motors that each motor is producing 412 HP and Brooks comment on them producing over 1200 HP and the engineer slipped up and said when the batteries produce more power and was then interrupted. Plaid plus is not going anywhere.
We will see the Plaid+ in some form (likely called something else), but I'm almost certain it's going to have a base price north of $150k when it does debut, and will be much nearer the other brands' top models (although likely a little less). This is why I'm (trying to) switch to a Plaid. I don't think the value will be there, but the bragging rights sure will be.

@Panus I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure you'll get you deposit back.

Read the 2nd page, 4th paragraph, 4th sentence of your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement:

"Until you complete your Vehicle configuration, your order will be considered a pre-order and you may cancel it at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of any paid Order Deposit."

Wait a few days then email or call them for a status.

I essentially got a similar reaction from an engineer last night. Asked about 4680 in the S. He was like “uhhhh. Not at this time. I’m not sure what I’m allowed to say” and another engineer interrupted him.

We will see the Plaid+ in some form (likely called something else), but I'm almost certain it's going to have a base price north of $150k when it does debut, and will be much nearer the other brands' top models (although likely a little less). This is why I'm (trying to) switch to a Plaid. I don't think the value will be there, but the bragging rights sure will be.
You might be on to something. Mine is at 155k. So if the Plaid+ happens i think the price will be in the 165k range.

It seems a bit unethical for a CEO to declare a model canceled when it really is not.

If there ever is a Plaid Plus, I will think about it when the time comes, but I now have serious reservations about a company that manipulates consumers in such a fashion.

Meanwhile the EQS is looking very tempting. No mind games there.

It seems a bit unethical for a CEO to declare a model canceled when it really is not.
Probably just too far out? They don't want to deal with customers complaining about cars they aren't delivering for two years? Also, it probably limits sales. I wasn't going to buy the Plaid when I knew Plaid Plus was right around the corner. Same thing with Lucid. Their car looks great, but I also won't buy it since they said there's a tri-motor version coming sometime later.

But, now that the Plaid plus is pushed off into the uncertain future, I'll probably just buy the Plaid...

They have done a great job, as you said there are Superchargers nearly everywhere that is 250mi or less apart, but they have more to do because charging time (while greatly improved) is still significantly slower than gasoline. A stop for a full tank fill up takes 10-15 minutes (generously, frequently less), whereas it can take 45-60 minutes in a Tesla.

Not often will you need 400 miles of range, but as has been said, 400mi EPA can come out to less than 200 when keeping between 80% and 20% and driving during the winter. That's when the large battery comes in handy... and if you're towing, then cut the estimates in half again haha.
400 miles of range or even 1000 miles of range simply delays the inevitable range anxiety. Once you need to charge, unlike an ICE, you don’t have the option to drive a few miles to a gas station. And when after you find the charges within your 100 mile radius, you’ve got to wait for it to charge the car 20 min+ compared to 5 minutes for ICE. Range anxiety isn’t just about how far. It’s also about how much hassle.

Reactions: Russell
400 miles of range or even 1000 miles of range simply delays the inevitable range anxiety. Once you need to charge, unlike an ICE, you don’t have the option to drive a few miles to a gas station. And when after you find the charges within your 100 mile radius, you’ve got to wait for it to charge the car 20 min+ compared to 5 minutes for ICE. Range anxiety isn’t just about how far. It’s also about how much hassle.

Yeah, but after 5-8 hours of driving, you need to stop, use the bathroom, and eat... Every trip I've been on, the car was ready to go before I was.