Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could really care less about all this nonsense back and forth about range. It is important to some and less to others, we all have our reasons and we are entitled to them.

Now what I am interested in, is those of you who are talking about the Plaid plus not being cancelled. And just another stupid stunt by Elon, to manipulate the buyers. I think that makes sense from what I am hearing. No one wants to come and say anything concrete, and even Elon didn't make a peep about it during the unveil. Or maybe I am just being hopeful. For me, I want the range, and I want the additional performance of that lap time that some YouTuber caught at Laguna Seca, it was the same as a Mac 720S. A family car that can do that, and then go on autopilot when I want to relax, that is what I will spend whatever is asked.

I could really care less about all this nonsense back and forth about range. It is important to some and less to others, we all have our reasons and we are entitled to them.

Now what I am interested in, is those of you who are talking about the Plaid plus not being cancelled. And just another stupid stunt by Elon, to manipulate the buyers. I think that makes sense from what I am hearing. No one wants to come and say anything concrete, and even Elon didn't make a peep about it during the unveil. Or maybe I am just being hopeful. For me, I want the range, and I want the additional performance of that lap time that some YouTuber caught at Laguna Seca, it was the same as a Mac 720S. A family car that can do that, and then go on autopilot when I want to relax, that is what I will spend whatever is asked.
Tesla will make the 500 mile car. But what was promised during battery day was simply not possible to build in the timeframe that was suggested. It’s not even the same car with all of the chassis changes. Until Tesla is able to mass produce such a car, they would rather sell you the Plaid version which is an evolution of the original Model S.

With Taycan, EQS and others on the horizon Tesla will have to build a new car, not just an evolved MS, within a year. Performance(not just 0-60 or 1/4 mile), interior luxury and range are all areas where Tesla is no longer the leader. It is the best value however. But at $150,000 who’s worried about value lol

True but there’s a difference between a 5 min gas stop and 30 min charging session.
It's more like 15 minutes in my Model 3. Up to 200 miles in 15 minutes. I used to spend much longer charging in my Model S P90D, but that was because the supercharging was throttled and the car was much less efficient.

I don't know. I don't want to eat while driving, especially after already driving for many hours. Going to the bathroom, purchasing food, and eating it takes way more than 15 minutes.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Daekwan
It's more like 15 minutes in my Model 3. Up to 200 miles in 15 minutes. I used to spend much longer charging in my Model S P90D, but that was because the supercharging was throttled and the car was much less efficient.

I don't know. I don't want to eat while driving, especially after already driving for many hours. Going to the bathroom, purchasing food, and eating it takes way more than 15 minutes.
To me this is an rationalization. Sure you could charge to 200 miles 15 min under perfect conditions, but that assumes you are going to achieve EPA rated range which of course are fiction. The reality is you’ll arrive and find out that the Supercharger is full. Or it doesn’t charge at the higher rate. Or a stall isn’t working. And even if all of that is perfect, it’s rare that you would be able to skip a Supercharger on a road trip. by adding only 200 miles. Superchargers tend to be 100+ miles apart on highways. It’s the density issue. The bottom line is that gas powered cars are superior when it comes to “refueling” time and have a lot more opportunities to do so.

To me this is an rationalization. Sure you could charge to 200 miles 15 min under perfect conditions, but that assumes you are going to achieve EPA rated range which of course are fiction. The reality is you’ll arrive and find out that the Supercharger is full. Or it doesn’t charge at the higher rate. Or a stall isn’t working. And even if all of that is perfect, it’s rare that you would be able to skip a Supercharger on a road trip. by adding only 200 miles. Superchargers tend to be 100+ miles apart on highways. It’s the density issue. The bottom line is that gas powered cars are superior when it comes to “refueling” time and have a lot more opportunities to do so.
Huh? Have you ever driven a road trip in a Tesla? Superchargers are much more frequent now than 100+ miles apart. They are <30 miles apart in NC now.

I guess an ICE car with autopilot would probably be better for long road trips. I find the AP more important for long trips than the charging.

But, anything more than 500 miles, I'm going to fly. So, realistically, I only stop once to charge on any road trip.

Huh? Have you ever driven a road trip in a Tesla? Superchargers are much more frequent now than 100+ miles apart. They are <30 miles apart in NC now.

I guess an ICE car with autopilot would probably be better for long road trips. I find the AP more important for long trips than the charging.

But, anything more than 500 miles, I'm going to fly. So, realistically, I only stop once to charge on any road trip.
I’m on a 6000 mile road-trip, so yes, I have, and no, they aren’t much more frequent than 100 miles apart. If you don’t believe it, take note of distance between Jackson, MS and Hattiesburg, MS. There are no Superchargers between those cities.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Try looking outside of NC. Out west, they are still many stretches with 100+ miles between Superchargers and that's if you are traveling on the interstate. Try traveling north/south or off the interstate and they can be 200 to 330+ miles apart.

1623699841067.png

I’m on a 6000 mile road-trip, so yes, I have, and no, they aren’t much more frequent than 100 miles apart. If you don’t believe it, take note of distance between Jackson, MS and Hattiesburg, MS. There are no Superchargers between those cities.
Don't go there? 😂

Some fill in with electrify America chargers? Yeah, I don't leave the coasts.

Reactions: Daekwan
I would not drive a Tesla for such a long trip, even if it has 500 miles range. Sure it CAN do the trip, but it would definitely not be convenient.
Just rent a SUV/truck or fly.

Reactions: Daekwan
I'm one of the many people that relies on superchargers for my daily driving. It doesn't make sense to install a charger at home. More range means fewer trips to the supercharger. A few things could improve this:
1) Chargers EVERYWHERE so I can charge while I'm at the store, mall, restaurants, camping, at a friend's house, etc.
2) Very fast charging, similar to ICE fill-ups. If I can charge in 5 minutes, I don't mind stopping every few days to fill up.
3) More range. If I had a 1,000 mile range car, I don't mind taking it to a supercharger once per week and spending a couple of hours there.

So you'd rather spend tens of thousand dollars more, just to avoid installing a charger at home for much less money?

This morning I was thinking about why the subject of this thread still really annoys me and I realized that I've been entirely too rational. I've posted on the need for range, and that plaid (as opposed to plaid+) might not give me what I need for my maximum use case - which is a 160 mile round trip at highway speeds on a New England snow day on a single charge.

But that's not the point, is it? The point, which it took me until this morning to realize, probably because my own emotional self-awareness isn't that great, is that the company called a large number of plaid+ reservation holders and asked them whether they would switch their order from plaid+ to plaid. And the collective response, judging by the threads on this subject, was a resounding "no." It certainly was from me. And the company's answer to that collective response was not "Thank you customers, we hear you." Their answer was "Wrong answer, fools, your order for the car you just told us you want is now cancelled!" Where this was followed by "And all of you who told us which car you want are too stupid to realize that you never needed what you think you wanted anyway." And I think they also tacitly communicated "We could have given you what you want - otherwise we would just have cancelled the plaid+ without going to the trouble of calling you all first and asking if you would switch to the car we want to sell you - but not enough of you caved, so we had to take stronger measures."

My answer to all this, and my statement to Tesla generally, now begins with the letter "F" and ends with the letter "u."

So my plan is to follow the rollout of the Mercedes EQS in the second half to see what it's real-world range and availability turns out to be. Unfortunately I don't think the Audi GT RS or Taycan Turbo, as pretty, sporty and desirable as they are, have the range I need for my upcoming use case. And if these (or Lucid, which is still vaporware) don't pan out, I can see myself buying a used Raven Performance to give me the range I need this coming winter: I know the P85D that I own and love doesn't have it. But if I buy a used Raven it won't be from Tesla, it would be through a private sale, because it would annoy me to have to give Tesla Inc the revenue.
I looked at my account today and saw the plaid+ was changed to plaid (no surprise) and cancelled the order. Their response is in the screen shot below.

So much for my refundable deposit.

Everything I said in my earlier rant quoted above now goes double.

Goodbye Tesla.

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 2.25.10 PM.png

I looked at my account today and saw the plaid+ was changed to plaid (no surprise) and cancelled the order. Their response is in the screen shot below.

So much for my refundable deposit.

Everything I said in my earlier rant quoted above now goes double.

Goodbye Tesla.

View attachment 674907
Definitely open a ticket, the agreement that we all (digitally) signed was that it was refundable. I’m sure this is just a glitch due to them hastily converting orders