Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed in my new Model S Plaid the center console light turns off if you fully open the sliding lid.

Is this expected behavior? Intuitively the light should turn off when the lid is fully closed, and light should turn on when half-closed or fully opened

1635783449458.png

I noticed in my new Model S Plaid the center console light turns off if you fully open the sliding lid.

Is this expected behavior? Intuitively the light should turn off when the lid is fully closed, and light should turn on when half-closed or fully opened

View attachment 728088

Hmm. I’ll have to check mine again. I know that storage area under the slider plays a factor here. I normally have the slider half way, storage unit hidden (pushed back), but cup holders visible. That results in no light on.

Car currently in SC. Last update regarding this was tech was researching whether this is normal or not. Probably need more information from other Plaid owners to see if this is a common problem.

To clarify, there are two storage compartments and one cup holder compartment in the console. The movable storage compartment illuminates as expected. The static compartment LED light only illuminates if the slider is not fully opened. It appears to stay illuminated when the slider is off. Thus, at night time I am unable to see any items inside the compartment when I'm actually trying to reach for items

SC is now opening up the center console to find the flipped switch. Apparently duration of this process goes into night shift. Tedious work for one flipped switch! I thought all switches are supposed to have asymmetrical locking mechanisms to prevent this

Thanks, @paulclou. Keep us apprised, please! For me, the small upper storage bin illuminates as it should. The lower storage bin only illuminates when the door is halfway open, regardless of the small upper bin and cup holder position. As long as the cover is half open, the lower bin is lit. But full open, it shuts off, also regardless of the upper bin and cup holder position.

I was hoping it was a simple fix. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of the SC. Hopefully it gets resolved and trickles down to the rest of us.

Reactions: electrongofast
What's your production date? 11/2021 from your signature? Mine was 10/21/2021 according to the sticker on the door panel
My production date is somewhere in 10/2021. I suspect late in the month since I took delivery 11/1. The sticker on the door should just tell you month and year of production. eg 10/21 is not 10/21/2021, but is just 10/2021. I have the same date on my door sticker. Your service advisor can tell you the car's actual "birthdate" however.

In any case, I'm 100% sure our two cars were produced in the same month. Last 5 of my VIN is 53805. I would be surprised if our cars were more than +/- 100 of each other vin-wise.