Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go, sorry for the delay.

Can you verify that the lower bin lights are on when both the cup holder and the tray are stowed out of the way. Then slowly proceed towards closing the lid and take notice if the light blinks or turns off along the way. I really do hope it turns off at the very end.

Thank you so much for what you've shared. AFAIK, you have the only properly working console. :)

Can you verify that the lower bin lights are on when both the cup holder and the tray are stowed out of the way. Then slowly proceed towards closing the lid and take notice if the light blinks or turns off along the way. I really do hope it turns off at the very end.

Thank you so much for what you've shared. AFAIK, you have the only properly working console. :)
Let me make sure I understand the question. You are saying hide the cup holder and tray, then close the top lid and confirm how the lower bin light reacts? I believe your expectation is that the lower bin light should stay on until the top lid is fully closed. Is my understanding of your question correct?

Do you know if the large cubby (with the wipes) is actually off when the lid is closed? Does the small buddy turn off when it is retracted? Could not tell from the video.
I think your first question is similar to the question from @mcirish. I'll try to get video of the bin with all the combinations of the upper trays and lid to make sure all questions are answered. For your second question, I'm almost positive the buddy tray turns off when retracted but again I'll try to confirm.

Reactions: mcirish and cwanja
Let me make sure I understand the question. You are saying hide the cup holder and tray, then close the top lid and confirm how the lower bin light reacts? I believe your expectation is that the lower bin light should stay on until the top lid is fully closed. Is my understanding of your question correct?

Yes. And for completeness you should retract only the sliding tray and leave the cup holders extended while verifying that lower section is illuminated when cover is fully opened and turns turns off the moment it becomes half closed.

Yes. And for completeness you should retract only the sliding tray and leave the cup holders extended while verifying that lower section is illuminated when cover is fully opened and turns turns off the moment it becomes half closed.
Ok, I just tested and if the sliding tray tray and cup holder are both hidden, the lower bin light turns off at the beginning of closing of the top lid. In addition, if the top lid is half-way open and the sliding tray extended (but still covered by the top lid) then hiding/showing the cup holder has no affect on the lower bin. So it seems there's probably some configurations that still aren't exactly right in my car. I wish we had a definitive manual/spec so we could know exactly how it should react instead of going off of our intuition.

• Informative
Reactions: mcirish
Ok, I just tested and if the sliding tray tray and cup holder are both hidden, the lower bin light turns off at the beginning of closing of the top lid. In addition, if the top lid is half-way open and the sliding tray extended (but still covered by the top lid) then hiding/showing the cup holder has no affect on the lower bin. So it seems there's probably some configurations that still aren't exactly right in my car. I wish we had a definitive manual/spec so we could know exactly how it should react instead of going off of our intuition.

So what you've found is that there are 3 and only three conditions that will make the lower bin illuminate:. And for every possible condition, the #1 common requirement is that the lid be fully open. The 2nd requirement is that at least one of the two sliding components be fully retracted (hidden).

One step closer in solving this puzzle.

Reactions: jm404
Hi gang,
FWIW ranger is trying to fix my console. Again. he's been at it about 2 hours - new console top has the same light issue. there's a TSB without much info, and they said to swap out the switches in the console, and then repin the connectors. note, the switches are only two pin - i'm used to microswitches that have 3 pins, and you can connect to a normal open condition, or swap a wire to the other one and make it a normal closed condition - these switches don't have that capability.
if he used a multimeter, he'd be able to see if normally open or normally closed.
he plans to try for a while longer, i don't need the car for a few more hours, so as long as he's willing to try, well, it doesn't put me out.
i also snapped some photos of the shipping box. The console top probably weighs no more than 8 pounds, so not sure where that 60 lbs came from....
2022-04-18 11.38.53.jpg
2022-04-18 11.38.56.jpg
2022-04-18 11.38.59.jpg
2022-04-18 14.00.53.jpg
2022-04-18 14.01.58.jpg
2022-04-18 14.02.07.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-04-18 14.02.16.jpg
    2022-04-18 14.02.16.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 55
Hi gang,
FWIW ranger is trying to fix my console. Again. he's been at it about 2 hours - new console top has the same light issue. there's a TSB without much info, and they said to swap out the switches in the console, and then repin the connectors. note, the switches are only two pin - i'm used to microswitches that have 3 pins, and you can connect to a normal open condition, or swap a wire to the other one and make it a normal closed condition - these switches don't have that capability.
if he used a multimeter, he'd be able to see if normally open or normally closed.
he plans to try for a while longer, i don't need the car for a few more hours, so as long as he's willing to try, well, it doesn't put me out.
i also snapped some photos of the shipping box. The console top probably weighs no more than 8 pounds, so not sure where that 60 lbs came from....
View attachment 795032View attachment 795034View attachment 795035View attachment 795036View attachment 795037View attachment 795038
All this work, leads me to believe it is not controlled / controllable via software. Which is kind of mind boggling, but meh.

Also, not worth it to have someone literally rip out my center console to not actually fix it. Appreciate the insights @IamGaryGnu. Keep us posted!

I do agree, it's not worth it per se.
so, I haven't seen the car yet (it's a 4 minute walk from my desk ,and i'm incredibly lazy) so i'll see it in 35 minutes when i bug out of here. meanwhile, per the ranger (ala phone) it has the new console, and no improvement whatsoever.
there is a TSB that said to swap some of the switches, which didn't work in my original that he was messing with once he swapped consoles - the dude really tried.
Now, my car was held in the shop an extra 2 days for this when they tried to fix it in the shop, the first ranger came out with a physically broken console top (it wouldn't slide properly) and now he came out - and said i'd have to bring it in to the shop at this point.
I'm goign to have to take a hard pass - if i really want to know what's in there, i guess i'll pull out my cell and use the flashlight.
it's a shame and moronic.
also, let's figure the console top must cost at least $200 (in my mind, okay, maybe it actually costs Tesla less than that). They had a tech keep it in the shop 2 extra days, let's say they spent 2 hours on it, plus maybe an hour on the phone.
then they had ranger 1 come out - actually, ranger 0 to observe the issue - so let's call that an hour of driving (no idea of his stops between me and "home" but let's call it an hour. Then ranger 1 came out, and spent maybe an hour trying to fix the broken non sliding console top. so let's call that 2 hours.
and today, he spent probably 4 hours plus driving. so that's 5 hours.
I"m counting 11 hours plus, not to mention the time to order, etc. - this is just silly.
I think i'll be done with the console now until there's a real solid TSB or someone "knows" these are no longer an issue repairing.
I've had the car about 3 months, and i reported the issue on receipt of the car (same day). so now after 3 months, i'm FINALLY going to load up the center console with the stuff i removed from my old car and wouldn't put in - hair brush, change, etc.
I'd be very interested if anyone learns of a real solution and way to get this fixed.
thanks!

Reactions: impastu and mcirish
Hi gang,

Thanks for the pictures. Best educated guess is that the switches are 'supposed to be' normally closed and they open when activated. Would have really been nice to see a copy of that TSB. My console was replaced and it still lights up all the time except when sliding cover is fully opened.

Hi gang,
View attachment 795032View attachment 795034View attachment 795035View attachment 795036View attachment 795037View attachment 795038
Wow, looks involved and likely to create new rattles and buzzing from lose clips. I think I pass on getting mine torn apart. I prefer no rattles or damage more than this damn light! YOMV.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Haven't read the whole thread but has anyone had this issue? See photo attached. My console half opens at the wrong point now so I can't use the cupholders without exposing half of the top tray

Attachments

• E3BE9C9D-6B54-49DB-99C6-FCBAADE7A6DB.jpeg
    E3BE9C9D-6B54-49DB-99C6-FCBAADE7A6DB.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 63
Just seeing these long threads about this issue (which I also had). Took my 2022 Model S in, in February, they tried to fix the wiring/switches but broke something and so they had to order an entire new center console. The new console went in last week, but it had the same exact issues. They had my car for four days and eventually did find the issue and fix it. Here is what my invoice says, if it helps anyone else.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 64