Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd recommend giving up. I've had two new consoles installed. Both had the light wrong and both were more broken then the one I originally had. I'm going back again for a third new console...
^^^This!
I mean, silly I need to add third party lights to a $100k car but here we are.
When I replaced all the interior lights in my '15 (once upon a time, a 100k car). Found a huge improvement over stock.

They actually don’t replace the whole console. It is just the top portion with the sliding parts.

The lights in my early Plaid were correct but the wood was split. When they replaced the upper part to fix the wood the lights were backwards. It took another service visit to fix the lights.
Yeah I don't know why they replaced the entire console in mine. I gave them the part number for the upper sliding part.

I ended up with one with broken cup holders and another one with screws drilled through the side into the bottom part of the console cubby.

I'm going to pick up my car now. Hopefully this is fixed!

"Replaced complete center console assembly. New keys and charger assembly supplied."
Part
CONSOLE, CNFGDASY, PER, BLACK,TWL(1564400-34-D)

Well, the new console has a working light. But, it stays on all the time now. Closing the door does nothing. I guess better than being backwards.

Same story here: chronic ineptitude from Tesla Service Centers. Third (or is it the 4th?) visit to fix this scheduled for next month I guess . . . .

Elon: Stop wasting everyone's time with this, and other issues! FIX THE DAMN COMM PROBLEMS AT THE SC SO THAT FREMONT CAN STOP BUILDING AND SHIPPING PROBLEMS.

Thanks.

Same story here: chronic ineptitude from Tesla Service Centers. Third (or is it the 4th?) visit to fix this scheduled for next month I guess . . . .

Elon: Stop wasting everyone's time with this, and other issues! FIX THE DAMN COMM PROBLEMS AT THE SC SO THAT FREMONT CAN STOP BUILDING AND SHIPPING PROBLEMS.

Thanks.
They replaced my whole console due to backward lights. I went to pick it up after they said it's fixed. 5 minutes from the SC in an Uber they called to say the new part must also be bad. When I arrived we had a discussion. They wanted to keep the car to do some diagnostics. I was sad but agreed. But the car was out front ready for me to pick up. Before they took it back I might as well test it. I put my phone in the compartment in video record mode. You have to put a white handkerchief because it's all black in there. Oh man .... it's working!!!! Lights were fixed and worked as they should. I brought the service rep out, showed him video and showed compartment in action. He was dumbfounded. Jeeze Louise!!! I took my car home a happy camper.

• Funny
Reactions: Blue Stuff and Bull
They replaced my whole console due to backward lights. I went to pick it up after they said it's fixed. 5 minutes from the SC in an Uber they called to say the new part must also be bad. When I arrived we had a discussion. They wanted to keep the car to do some diagnostics. I was sad but agreed. But the car was out front ready for me to pick up. Before they took it back I might as well test it. I put my phone in the compartment in video record mode. You have to put a white handkerchief because it's all black in there. Oh man .... it's working!!!! Lights were fixed and worked as they should. I brought the service rep out, showed him video and showed compartment in action. He was dumbfounded. Jeeze Louise!!! I took my car home a happy camper.

This is not the first time I've read that the SC says they replaced whatever for this issue, and it's still not fixed etc etc, only for the customer to arrive and it is fixed. It's mind-boggling the lack of competency regarding this problem!

Well, there is, perhaps, some good news. Our newest MS, a 488xxx VIN, appears to have the console lights working correctly.

It only took how many months for Fremont to get the clue on that?

(Now if they could have just built it correctly so that the rear seatbacks could fold without running into each other . . . . One step forward, one step back. Is pot use allowed on duty at Fremont?)

Reactions: zoomer0056
I had a similar experience where they were done with the car, certain that they fixed it (this time). Too sunny for me to verify so I drove away skeptical. Sure enough, it still wasn't right when finally checked it. Two days later when I went to complain, it was working correctly. Must be a combination of software and wiring changes that need match up. Shame they don't have a well documented solution for this by now.

I had a similar experience where they were done with the car, certain that they fixed it (this time). Too sunny for me to verify so I drove away skeptical. Sure enough, it still wasn't right when finally checked it. Two days later when I went to complain, it was working correctly. Must be a combination of software and wiring changes that need match up. Shame they don't have a well documented solution for this by now.
Interesting. Hadn’t heard that this was adjustable via software.

Mine mostly works now. Interestingly, not quite as you might expect. The light turns off when the cup holders and tray blocks access to the bottom. But, it doesn't turn off when the lid is closed. However, closing the lid does turn off the tray light. There are a lot of combinations and they didn't get all of them right. But, close enough, I guess.

Interesting. Hadn’t heard that this was adjustable via software.

Mine mostly works now. Interestingly, not quite as you might expect. The light turns off when the cup holders and tray blocks access to the bottom. But, it doesn't turn off when the lid is closed. However, closing the lid does turn off the tray light. There are a lot of combinations and they didn't get all of them right. But, close enough, I guess.
For my lower light to operate, the sliding cover must be in the fully open position. It turns off though, if both the sliding tray and cup holder are extended.
The upper sliding tray light turns on when extended, turns off when cover is at half position, but turns back on again if cover is fully closed. Still not perfect but OK. All these lights time-out shortly after you leave the vehicle.

For my lower light to operate, the sliding cover must be in the fully open position. It turns off though, if both the sliding tray and cup holder are extended.
The upper sliding tray light turns on when extended, turns off when cover is at half position, but turns back on again if cover is fully closed. Still not perfect but OK. All these lights time-out shortly after you leave the vehicle.
I think that is how mine works, except if the trays are retracted and you close the lid, the lower light doesn't turn off.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Know this has been a year+ issue now, with people getting mixed results when they take it to service centres (either replies on “that’s how it should be”, or a coin flip on whether it gets fixed or not).

For the people who got newer 2022/2023 builds, are you bottom compartment center console lights wired correctly so it lights up when the drawer is open now?

I’ve been waiting until Tesla gets some consistency in their builds for this matter, before trying with my SC.

Thanks!