Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was in service for 10 days for another issue. The invoice ($0) said normal light operation. I called up before coming in, someone with a brain knew if the issue in general, didn’t understand why they blew it off, and put my car back into service. The estimate is 2 days, so they’ll either wait for a new one and swap (guess) or repair. I’ll update when I get new invoice. Stupidly, mine said customer states light goes out closed, and on when open. Um, yeah, that would be great!

minor update - the service chat indicated, "We did confirm the issue and are working on a fix now. We need to inspect some wiring but we also need to remove the console to get into that area."
interesting - that tells me 1) they're doing the 2 hour rewire/repair and 2) this will likely squeak more than a mouse.
let's see if they damage it, hopefully not.
what's interesting, is my neighbor brought his plaid in (same day for other stuff) but they had ordered his console January 7, and it's still backordered. I wonder why they don't just do the same wire job on his?

also they wrote back and confirmed that my research is correct - either a 2 hour wire job, or console replacement. i also quipped too bad not software, and they agreed, software would have been so much easier!
with any luck i'll get my baby back tomorrow.
for anyone interested, i had it for 17 days. tomorrow it will have been in the shop for 12 days. I hope i don't miss it's 30th day birthday :)

Reactions: jm404
I picked up the car today. Turns out they apparently tried rewiring to no avail and have ordered a new console which should be here in a couple of weeks.
POSSIBLY a ranger can install it.
my neighbor's plaid has had a console on back order since January 7, mine is walnut, his is carbon fiber.

I picked up the car today. Turns out they apparently tried rewiring to no avail and have ordered a new console which should be here in a couple of weeks.
POSSIBLY a ranger can install it.
my neighbor's plaid has had a console on back order since January 7, mine is walnut, his is carbon fiber.
If I were a betting man, I would wager the new console has the same issue. I'm holding off doing a service request until Tesla has a solid fix.

Reactions: cwanja
My 2021 console works exactly as it should. I know a bunch of them here don't, but it feels like Tesla has standardized messing up a bunch of these for reasons unknown.
Since it cant be just re-wired, I would bet it was a supplier issue.

Whoever made the control board / switch assembly is at fault....

Could have even been caused by switching the supplier, earlier ones were ok but quite possibly had supply issues, Tesla moves to a new supplier and boom, a new problem is introduced.