Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I think my MYP is motorized...
Highly doubtful. There is a motor, but it is just to release the latch. When you lift the seat back up you are recompressing the spring. (If you let it go before it latches it come down with about the same force as it did when you released it.)

If it was motorized down, it would likely be motorized up as well.

Highly doubtful. There is a motor, but it is just to release the latch. When you lift the seat back up you are recompressing the spring. (If you let it go before it latches it come down with about the same force as it did when you released it.)

That's how I suspected it worked. Getting conflicting information, though. Ahhh the Internet!

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and cwanja

Of course there’s a spring as well. Not sure what is motorized. I hear the motor up and down. The rear seat also tilts. Do you have a MYP? The Plaid just has a spring, I think.

Reactions: impastu
Have checked three 2022 MS's with December, 2021 builds: all appear to have the incorrect light switching protocol (light "On" when partially open, but "Off" when lid is fully open).

How does something so simple to check, yet so difficult to fix, get noticed only after many tens of thousand MS's were built?!?

Crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue Stuff
Have checked three 2022 MS's with December, 2021 builds: all appear to have the incorrect light switching protocol (light "On" when partially open, but "Off" when lid is fully open).

How does something so simple to check, yet so difficult to fix, get noticed only after many tens of thousand MS's were built?!?

Crazy.
Presumably also really simple to fix in software too... Why does none of this feedback get back to the engineers?

🤣 😁 I bet this is REALLY why the line has been shut down for 3 days.... Its not about new headlights.... They are trying to fix the center console light! 🤣

I actually still maintain its a supplier issue.... I imagine if this is even tested as part of QA, they would have just seen that the light was on and passed it. Wouldn't be noticed until thousands are in the wild and complaints started to roll in...

In fact, if it is a supplier issue, its even possible they KNOW its a problem but have decided to ship them as is, rather than holding up the line with the plan to "fix" those who complain later? Pure speculation of course.

I highly doubt this is fixable via software. Assuming this a simple open/closed switch, and that the prior post on reversing the switch position is the fix, software can not fix that.

The current “open” position shows as closed (light off).

The current “mid” position shows as open (light on).

The current “closed” position shows as open (light on).

I believe this is a binary open/close switch. If you try to fix that in software you will end up with the light off in the mid-position.

🤣 😁 I bet this is REALLY why the line has been shut down for 3 days.... Its not about new headlights.... They are trying to fix the center console light! 🤣

I actually still maintain its a supplier issue.... I imagine if this is even tested as part of QA, they would have just seen that the light was on and passed it. Wouldn't be noticed until thousands are in the wild and complaints started to roll in...

In fact, if it is a supplier issue, its even possible they KNOW its a problem but have decided to ship them as is, rather than holding up the line with the plan to "fix" those who complain later? Pure speculation of course.

I highly doubt this is fixable via software. Assuming this a simple open/closed switch, and that the prior post on reversing the switch position is the fix, software can not fix that.

The current “open” position shows as closed (light off).

The current “mid” position shows as open (light on).

The current “closed” position shows as open (light on).

I believe this is a binary open/close switch. If you try to fix that in software you will end up with the light off in the mid-position.
I think off in the mid position is probably the intended behavior. We can ask someone who has a working one to see.

I agree, they may not be able to tell which are backwards. It might have to go by Vin range, once they figure out when the mess up happened.

Why would off in mid-position be intended behavior?

In the dark, you want the light on when you open the console. Doesn’t matter if it’s midway or fully.
Mid position for the top cover is used when the cup holder is available but the little tray is hidden. The bottom area isn't accessible in that case so the light should be off. If you are talking about having the light on while the top cover is being opened or closed, then that's a bit different.

Ideally you'd want some more complicated logic...light on when more than halfway open with cupholder open and small tray closed or when open at all with cup holder closed and small tray closed.

Based on the switch location, I don't think they sense more than 'fully open' or 'not fully open' for the cover. I expect that they dont sense cupholder position as there isn't a light for that but I could be wrong.

Mid position for the top cover is used when the cup holder is available but the little tray is hidden. The bottom area isn't accessible in that case so the light should be off. If you are talking about having the light on while the top cover is being opened or closed, then that's a bit different.

Ideally you'd want some more complicated logic...light on when more than halfway open with cupholder open and small tray closed or when open at all with cup holder closed and small tray closed.

Based on the switch location, I don't think they sense more than 'fully open' or 'not fully open' for the cover. I expect that they dont sense cupholder position as there isn't a light for that but I could be wrong.
Mid position can be used with the cup holder retracted, so the light should be on in mid-position as well. I agree more complex logic would make sense but I doubt the led strips are a big enough energy draw that it matters.

Actually, now that I say that it makes me wonder if it's worth just defeating the switch into the open position all the time...

Reactions: impastu