Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I remove the reaR console panel below the screen where the USB-C ports are located? Is it just clipped so I pry it off ? Don’t want to break it.

I have to reconnect my ALP radar and laser system after Tesla fixed my center console lights.
I figured it out. It pries off from the sides and falls down.

Attachments

• 52C18B88-04F8-4CCC-89FE-ACEDCA3C78FF.jpeg
    52C18B88-04F8-4CCC-89FE-ACEDCA3C78FF.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Helpful
Reactions: mcirish
My tech showed me the switches that need to be reversed to make the console lighting work correctly. There are three switches. Can’t tell you which are which but he said one of them was installed backwards or upside down.
Well that looks like some fun to get to. If you can give me your service invoice, I would love to show it to my service center Sunday when I drop it off.

Well that looks like some fun to get to. If you can give me your service invoice, I would love to show it to my service center Sunday when I drop it off.
Well now that you mention it...the tech wrote that there was no issue. But he clearly told me what the issue was and how he fixed it! V. strange.
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 2.37.52 PM.png

BUT @cwanja do tell your tech to contact Lenny at the White Plains SC to debrief.

• Love
Reactions: cwanja
I took my car in for service yesterday and showed the associate the issue, mentioning how many cars have the problem so they can't just compare to something else on the lot. He sat and fiddled with the partitions a bit and confirmed that it was a problem. I mentioned this thread and attached the pictures of the switches that @impastu posted so hopefully they will be able to fix.

Yes, everything works as expected now. The upper tray light turns on when the upper tray is revealed, and the lower bin light turns on if either the upper tray or cup-holder section are retracted (thus giving access to the lower bin).
Hmm is this something easy that can be done ourselves?

Edit: just noticed that's the front side and not the back.... Too bad

Last edited:
I think the problem is the complexity of the tray movements and the lights being controlled by three switches. It doesn't appear that the switch orientation is intuitive, and the problem is compounded by having three different switches in different locations of the console. I'm tempted to say this should be software controlled, but actually it should not have to be as they should be installed correctly at the factory and never noticed or touched again. My console appears to be fixed, but I suspect one of the switches is still oriented incorrectly because the short cubby light stays on then the lid is half closed. Seems like it should be off when half closed as it covers the short cubby. I also suspect that the deep cubby light now stays on all the time rather than going off when the lid is closed. I'll leave it as it however as the light doesn't drain much power or create any real heat.

Reactions: gbailey
I think the problem is the complexity of the tray movements and the lights being controlled by three switches. It doesn't appear that the switch orientation is intuitive, and the problem is compounded by having three different switches in different locations of the console. I'm tempted to say this should be software controlled, but actually it should not have to be as they should be installed correctly at the factory and never noticed or touched again. My console appears to be fixed, but I suspect one of the switches is still oriented incorrectly because the short cubby light stays on then the lid is half closed. Seems like it should be off when half closed as it covers the short cubby. I also suspect that the deep cubby light now stays on all the time rather than going off when the lid is closed. I'll leave it as it however as the light doesn't drain much power or create any real heat.
Mine was the same way with the original console that worked. Now that they have fixed my new one it also behaves that way. I suspect it is the correct behavior. The video that @WilliamG shows the same light on.

Reactions: impastu
Mine was the same way with the original console that worked. Now that they have fixed my new one it also behaves that way. I suspect it is the correct behavior. The video that @WilliamG shows the same light on.
@jebinc said his did not behave that way, and that if that front tray is half covered his light goes out. I haven’t visually confirmed this myself, but maybe he can post a video to show functionality.

Not really bothered, but fully expect my new car to be borked, as it’s quite clear Tesla has muddled this installation for a good few months now…

Reactions: gbailey and impastu