Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just seeing these long threads about this issue (which I also had). Took my 2022 Model S in, in February, they tried to fix the wiring/switches but broke something and so they had to order an entire new center console. The new console went in last week, but it had the same exact issues. They had my car for four days and eventually did find the issue and fix it. Here is what my invoice says, if it helps anyone else.
So all it took was swapping 2 micro switches?
If in fact this is the way, I’m in awe of all the shenanigans for the past 16 pages.

Just seeing these long threads about this issue (which I also had). Took my 2022 Model S in, in February, they tried to fix the wiring/switches but broke something and so they had to order an entire new center console. The new console went in last week, but it had the same exact issues. They had my car for four days and eventually did find the issue and fix it. Here is what my invoice says, if it helps anyone else.

If you could describe how your lower bin lights are now working, that would be something to compare with others. In particular I would like to know if the lid is half covered, does retracting or extending the cup holder affect the lower bin lights. My thinking is that the lower bin will be off unless the cup holder is fully retracted. Below is a video of the best working case reported so far.

Last edited:
Just to summarize correct bin lighting behavior, and also confirmed working as such in my newly delivered X Plaid:

- Top lid closed, all lights off no matter what position anything else is in
- Top lid half open, lower lights on only if the cup holder is stowed. Doesn’t matter if the front bin is deployed or not.
- Top lid fully open, lower lights always on unless both front bin and cup holder are deployed.

Also, there is some delay built into turning off the lower light. Eg if you close the top lid but keep it open just a crack to see the light fairy come turn the light off… lower lights stay on for a second or two before turning off.

Just to summarize correct bin lighting behavior, and also confirmed working as such in my newly delivered X Plaid:

- Top lid closed, all lights off no matter what position anything else is in
- Top lid half open, lower lights on only if the cup holder is stowed. Doesn’t matter if the front bin is deployed or not.
- Top lid fully open, lower lights always on unless both front bin and cup holder are deployed.

Also, there is some delay built into turning off the lower light. Eg if you close the top lid but keep it open just a crack to see the light fairy come turn the light off… lower lights stay on for a second or two before turning off.

Thanks. That sounds exactly the way I thought it should work. Can you confirm that the extended tray light is off when cover is half way and remains off until the cover is fully retracted (opened)?

Mine is reluctantly going back to a different service center to see if they can fix it on the 5th try.

I don't believe anyone has gotten this issue fixed at a service center. Swapping switch connections did make it work better as was shown in William G's video but this certainly not how it 'should' be working. My console was then 100% replaced and this put it back to the original state. To me, everything points to a logic flaw in the controller (possibly firmware programming).

A closed lid should disable ALL Lighting, both lower bin and tray lighting.
A fully open lid should enable the lower lighting in every configuration EXCEPT if BOTH cup holder and slide tray are visible.
Slide tray should only be lighted when extended and NOT COVERED by the LID in its middle position (half open).

Here is the wiring diagram (ignore markups) for your diagnostic pleasure, hopefully it remains readable:
Knoxville SC and the Engineering team figured the switches out for me back in January. Sorry yall are still dealing with this. This should have been be widely known now and addressed in production.

Reactions: mcirish
I do agree, it's not worth it per se.
so, I haven't seen the car yet (it's a 4 minute walk from my desk ,and i'm incredibly lazy) so i'll see it in 35 minutes when i bug out of here. meanwhile, per the ranger (ala phone) it has the new console, and no improvement whatsoever.
there is a TSB that said to swap some of the switches, which didn't work in my original that he was messing with once he swapped consoles - the dude really tried.
Now, my car was held in the shop an extra 2 days for this when they tried to fix it in the shop, the first ranger came out with a physically broken console top (it wouldn't slide properly) and now he came out - and said i'd have to bring it in to the shop at this point.
I'm goign to have to take a hard pass - if i really want to know what's in there, i guess i'll pull out my cell and use the flashlight.
it's a shame and moronic.
also, let's figure the console top must cost at least $200 (in my mind, okay, maybe it actually costs Tesla less than that). They had a tech keep it in the shop 2 extra days, let's say they spent 2 hours on it, plus maybe an hour on the phone.
then they had ranger 1 come out - actually, ranger 0 to observe the issue - so let's call that an hour of driving (no idea of his stops between me and "home" but let's call it an hour. Then ranger 1 came out, and spent maybe an hour trying to fix the broken non sliding console top. so let's call that 2 hours.
and today, he spent probably 4 hours plus driving. so that's 5 hours.
I"m counting 11 hours plus, not to mention the time to order, etc. - this is just silly.
I think i'll be done with the console now until there's a real solid TSB or someone "knows" these are no longer an issue repairing.
I've had the car about 3 months, and i reported the issue on receipt of the car (same day). so now after 3 months, i'm FINALLY going to load up the center console with the stuff i removed from my old car and wouldn't put in - hair brush, change, etc.
I'd be very interested if anyone learns of a real solution and way to get this fixed.
thanks!
Tesla Princeton had my car for this for >2 weeks in march waiting for new center console. Finally replaced center console and gave it back with exact same issue. It’s like they didn’t test it. Had to point out what proper function was…Then they swore it must have reverted back to not working when I sat down in it. I agree until there is a solid fix I don’t think it’s worth the time in service.

Reactions: jm404
Tesla Princeton had my car for this for >2 weeks in march waiting for new center console. Finally replaced center console and gave it back with exact same issue. It’s like they didn’t test it. Had to point out what proper function was…Then they swore it must have reverted back to not working when I sat down in it. I agree until there is a solid fix I don’t think it’s worth the time in service.

It's been at least 6 months since this was reported to Tesla, I've lost hope and forced myself to not be bothered by it.

Can you confirm that the extended tray light is off when cover is half way and remains off until the cover is fully retracted (opened)?
I might be imagining things, but I'm pretty sure that the top-front tray light was on with cover at half way until very recently. I remember thinking that's not right. But with recent firmware update it's now off unless cover is fully open. I'm on 2022.12.3.1 and never had the original microswitch lighting issues. So nothing has changed on my console since delivery in October '21.

Reactions: mcirish
Just got mine back from service. They said they changed the console AND rewired the switch, and that it is working properly.

It was very sunny and appeared to work right from what I could tell, but when I got home and tried it in the garage where I could see better, still no dice. The upper trays all seem to work perfectly, but the bottom bin light only comes on when you CLOSE the top lid. When locked open, the light switches off.

Time for another service ticket… 🤦‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Fixed! Edmonton service center FTW!

Attached are my 2 invoices. The first one partially fixed it but missed the lower bin, the second one fully fixed the problem.

Note there is a reference to something in the first one, maybe a service bulletin? May be useful for those still trying to convince their SC about the problem.

Edit: so the only thing that doesn’t work as described above, is the lower bin light doesn’t come on with the upper cover halfway and the cup holder stowed. I really don’t care, all I have to do is open the top cover fully and the light will be on. I can live with that, and honestly couldn’t hand on heart say whether I think it’s incorrect behaviour anyway.

Oh, just realized… I think the upper tray light comes on when the top cover is fully closed. That would mean it’s on all the time, though I think it’s off when the car is sleeping. Screw it, good enough… and that power drain can’t be that high.

Attachments

• 87404CE5-ADE8-47C4-B348-80A3CE7182A9.jpeg
    87404CE5-ADE8-47C4-B348-80A3CE7182A9.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 97
  • AB7AD3E6-8723-4F36-B709-6AA01E6B7043.jpeg
    AB7AD3E6-8723-4F36-B709-6AA01E6B7043.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Breaking News: Tesla is offering free one year subscription access to service documents. Not sure how long this will last so sign up now before it's gone!

Tesla Service

Use it to access wiring diagrams related to the operation of your center console lighting. Just last week it cost me $35 for one hour access.
Skeptic in me - I am wondering if this is free for a year and then auto renews at some ridiculous rate in a year when no one remembers about it.

It is tied to your Tesla account, so your saved payment information for Supercharging could be used. Again, totally pessimistic angle. I signed up regardless.
Was my exact thought as well. So I did hat I always do for free trials or subscriptions, put a reminder out on both my work and personal calendars to remind me to go check and cancel if needed.

I REALLY don't think this one will, saw nothing when signing up that mentioned any renewal but things can change over a year and definitely doesn't hurt to go in and double check 51 weeks from now.

Reactions: cwanja
Breaking News: Tesla is offering free one year subscription access to service documents. Not sure how long this will last so sign up now before it's gone!

Tesla Service

Use it to access wiring diagrams related to the operation of your center console lighting. Just last week it cost me $35 for one hour access.

Here's another tip. You can download the entire wiring diagram as a PDF file which makes for super fast offline viewing.

Bad news is I now see why newer Model S vehicles have smart operation of the console bin lights and that early buyers do not.