Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the car back from SC, for the nth time. Overall my Tesla has been in shop for ~7 days for this particular issue. This time they replaced the whole center console unit, which includes the rear screen.

Good news is it finally has light on when open. Bad news is the bottom light ONLY turns off when both the front tray and back tray are extended to the middle. It gets more weird, say both trays are extended, and as you slide out the top lid over the front tray, the light turns off (so far so good), but as the lid slides down further (over the cup holder tray), the front tray light gets turn back on again! I verified by putting a camera down there recording, and the light is still on even when the top lid is completely closed.

So the only way all lights are off is to have front and back tray extended, and the top lid half closed/open. In any other combination, at least one light will be on.

While annoying, this is not a deal breaker, and I at this point, I am tired of dealing w/ SC and will probably just live with it. So many times when I take the car in they fix one thing but break something else (sometimes completely unrelated).

Reactions: cwanja
The console console bin lighting being backwards is a manufacturing defect that can be fixed. Everyone that has eventually gotten it fixed had to leave the car with them for a day or two. The technician needs time to dig deep into the problem and often consult engineering about how to fix it. Demand that they fix it. Ask to speak to the service manager. If he/she doesn't bend over backwards to accomodate you then complain about them to the site manager, then the regional manager. Tesla needs to fire those workers who don't at least aspire to provide exceptional service. Keep complaining until they fix it. Ask them about "lemon law" to see if it applies (it's a bluff tactic).

Yeah, a center console light isn’t going to trigger any lemon law and they know it. I’ve done all you said and they don’t care. “That’s just how they are.” They don’t care.

Reactions: cwanja
I’m so annoyed with myself (and Tesla) that I still haven’t managed to get this resolved after a year and change. After three consoles I’m just resolved to the fact that I’ll never get it fixed. Very annoyed.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I’m so annoyed with myself (and Tesla) that I still haven’t managed to get this resolved after a year and change. After three consoles I’m just resolved to the fact that I’ll never get it fixed. Very annoyed.
My Feb 2022 MSLR has a new console now. The old one kept the light on when door was closed and turned it off when fully open. Now it works as expected. However, they were going to keep my S to do some troubleshooting. They thought it wasn't fixed, told me it had the same problem. I checked the new console and saw it did work!!! I took the same video of the working one as I did for the broken one. They were dumbfounded. I left a happy camper narrowly missing a bad experience. So .... test it yourself, don't rely on them for this part.

Reactions: mcirish
My Feb 2022 MSLR has a new console now. The old one kept the light on when door was closed and turned it off when fully open. Now it works as expected. However, they were going to keep my S to do some troubleshooting. They thought it wasn't fixed, told me it had the same problem. I checked the new console and saw it did work!!! I took the same video of the working one as I did for the broken one. They were dumbfounded. I left a happy camper narrowly missing a bad experience. So .... test it yourself, don't rely on them for this part.
That's pretty absurd. How can they get that wrong? That's got to be the easiest thing on the car to test.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That's pretty absurd. How can they get that wrong? That's got to be the easiest thing on the car to test.
It's actually not that straight forward, considering all the various lid/tray open/close combos... I tested my 2nd center console after the SC install and found that while the initial issue was fixed, there are still scenarios that it's not working quite the way it should (see my post #361 above).

In any case, I suspect that's what's going on here as well.

Well, I just got my car back from service after being there for a week to fix this issue along with a few other minor things. They put in another center console. This was my second new console or third overall. The light still doesn't work right. Unfortunately, they grabbed the console from new old stock sitting around the service center, so it likely was also manufactured incorrectly. They also somehow managed to put two screws in too far and they protruded into the felt-lined center storage area. So, I'll have to bring it back again for a fourth console.

I was ready to give up and just keep the broken light, but the protruding sharp screws are no good.

Well, I just got my car back from service after being there for a week to fix this issue along with a few other minor things. They put in another center console. This was my second new console or third overall. The light still doesn't work right. Unfortunately, they grabbed the console from new old stock sitting around the service center, so it likely was also manufactured incorrectly. They also somehow managed to put two screws in too far and they protruded into the felt-lined center storage area. So, I'll have to bring it back again for a fourth console.

I was ready to give up and just keep the broken light, but the protruding sharp screws are no good.
This is exactly why I’m scared to bring it in. You have a 20% chance they’ll fix it and a 80% chance they’ll break something.

Hmm. I’ll have to check mine again. I know that storage area under the slider plays a factor here. I normally have the slider half way, storage unit hidden (pushed back), but cup holders visible. That results in no light on.
This issue is known and has been reported earlier in the year.

The SvC will want to replace the whole console, who know what else they will screw up.

Id just get some lights with a sensor. Abstract Ocean sells a good unit.

This issue is known and has been reported earlier in the year.

The SvC will want to replace the whole console, who know what else they will screw up.

Id just get some lights with a sensor. Abstract Ocean sells a good unit.
They actually don’t replace the whole console. It is just the top portion with the sliding parts.

The lights in my early Plaid were correct but the wood was split. When they replaced the upper part to fix the wood the lights were backwards. It took another service visit to fix the lights.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot