Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid cracked roof glass at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the prebuy inspection of my new Plaid I found a large crack in the glass roof. It extended from the front of the glass to the mid roof where it intersected with another crack that spanned the entire transverse length of the glass. Like a large T. The service personnel were quite surprised to see this. I'm in no hurry to get the car and rejected it immediately. My concern if the source of this crack: was it from some sort of unusual torsional force during shipping, a structural misalignment of the body/frame etc? Now trying to decide if I should reject this VIN or accept the repaired roof. Remainder of the car showed small paint defects but no alignment issues and was otherwise OK.

During the prebuy inspection of my new Plaid I found a large crack in the glass roof. It extended from the front of the glass to the mid roof where it intersected with another crack that spanned the entire transverse length of the glass. Like a large T. The service personnel were quite surprised to see this. I'm in no hurry to get the car and rejected it immediately. My concern if the source of this crack: was it from some sort of unusual torsional force during shipping, a structural misalignment of the body/frame etc? Now trying to decide if I should reject this VIN or accept the repaired roof. Remainder of the car showed small paint defects but no alignment issues and was otherwise OK.
Those are great questions about possible torsional force. However it’s possible something hit it during install or in transit to cause the problem. As long as it’s documented on your account I think you can feel confident they’ll replace the glass again in the future if it really is a structural issue with the car that causes it to crack again.

Reactions: DerbyDave
This happened to my Plaid, they let me take delivery and mobile service came and installed a new panel a week later.. The crack was on the inner layer of glass. Car is perfect in all other ways.. I would have taken it!

This actually brings up a great point. If the crack was on the outside, it's likely something hit the roof during shipping (e.g. a rock falling from an overpass, etc...). If the crack was on the inside it's more likely to be caused by pressure/torsion as suggested

In any event, roof replacement should be covered (at least at this point) and I wouldn't think there would be any reason to reject the VIN after it's repaired.

I would go over the repair with a fine toothed comb and a magnifying glass. I trust a robot far more than a human when it comes to placing a large sheet of curved glass and resealing everything correctly.

Absolutely reject

This actually brings up a great point. If the crack was on the outside, it's likely something hit the roof during shipping (e.g. a rock falling from an overpass, etc...). If the crack was on the inside it's more likely to be caused by pressure/torsion as suggested
that’s literally the least likely explanation a crack on glass is not happening on the convex side

I took delivery of my model 3 performance a couple days ago and it was raining and the car dirty, so I failed to notice a crack in mine. In my case it looks like something struck the hood and bounced to the roof in transit. Hopefully they honor their word that if I see anything after I get home and clean it up, they’ll repair it.

Not sure what you decided to do, but I would recommend people in your shoes to look to see if there is any indication of where the crack started - a sharp bend or chip would indicate it didn’t start on an edge, and therefore is more likely to have been from physical or torsional stress.