Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that guy Jeff is part of the track team then the various Tesla race series should avoid this track in the future. We don't need people blaming Tesla for their shortcomings on Insta. Basically just spoon-feeding the Porsche crowd.

I've read a couple of Plaid crashes. Unskilled drivers unable to handle what's available and end up crashing. No different than Porsche, Lamborghini, or Dodge Demons.

Don't mean to be harsh about this, but inexperienced driver + high performance car = a good way to win a Darwin Award.

What makes you think this guy is unskilled? Seems like a car enthusiast with experience in several high end powerful cars from his other posts.

What makes you think this guy is unskilled? Seems like a car enthusiast with experience in several high end powerful cars from his other posts.
Okay, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm wrong to assume that this guy was inexperienced. But if you are correct in saying that he has/had exposure to other "high end powerful cars", then he should have known better than to push the car beyond its or his capabilities.

Okay, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm wrong to assume that this guy was inexperienced. But if you are correct in saying that he has/had exposure to other "high end powerful cars", then he should have known better than to push the car beyond its or his capabilities.
I'm pretty sure you were right and the guy was inexperienced. The page the OP linked is not the owner of the car, nor is he the owner of any of the "high end powerful cars" he posted. The car owner is tagged in his post and he looks to be an actor. Is he inexperienced, I don't know but my hunch is that he might be.

I'm pretty sure you were right and the guy was inexperienced. The page the OP linked is not the owner of the car, nor is he the owner of any of the "high end powerful cars" he posted. The car owner is tagged in his post and he looks to be an actor. Is he inexperienced, I don't know but my hunch is that he might be.
You are correct, the Instagram account belongs to the individual who was actually driving the Plaid when the incident occurred, not the owner of the car. The driver is an experienced "trackster". ;)

Reactions: RAW84
I'm based @ SM but didn't see this "off road" excursion.....what a sorry situation. :eek:

Login • Instagram
For those without Instagram

speedy_jeff

The 2021 Tesla Plaid is fast as f**k. It can lap a track respectfully … for two to three laps. After that be prepared for massive brake failure. Granted it’s a heavy car and not intended to be a track car. But three and quarter laps of a 2.1 mile track? 78 degrees ambient air temp. Interested to hear thoughts and opinions. #byebyeplaid #noinjuries #nobrakes #stillateslafan #couldhavebeenworse @chicknfeet @morganmstar

speedy_jeff

@boop14 Brake failure at 140. [mph]
244235443_267630731886544_3705739331593060089_n.jpg

For those who do have Instagram, a video of it on a car hauler afterward.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUiRIr3py_L/

Geesh, and y’all wonder why the f-word gets thrown around here so much (and I’m not talking about the four letter word). Thread full of baseless deflections instead of actually addressing the brake failure.

Tesla could no wrong even if it tried in the eyes of fanboys.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
I was curious what the track layout looked like because I’m not quite sure how this story jives with a verified 7:35 Nurburgring time in a bone stock car. If the “2.1 mile” quote from the post is accurate, that’s the “East” configuration on this page by process of elimination:

I mean, I can certainly see how an enthusiastic dumbass running flat-out with no regard for brake temp management - particularly with the aero covers on 🤦🏼‍♂️ - could roast them in a few laps and end up in the tires. Especially in a 5,000 pound sedan with stock pads and rotors.

Is that the car’s fault? I’m gonna have to go with “nah” on that one. It can clearly sustain performance for longer than that in the hands of a skilled driver - despite obviously not being designed to be a track monster.

I was curious what the track layout looked like because I’m not quite sure how this story jives with a verified 7:35 Nurburgring time in a bone stock car. If the “2.1 mile” quote from the post is accurate, that’s the “East” configuration on this page by process of elimination:

I mean, I can certainly see how an enthusiastic dumbass running flat-out with no regard for brake temp management - particularly with the aero covers on 🤦🏼‍♂️ - could roast them in a few laps and end up in the tires. Especially in a 5,000 pound sedan with stock pads and rotors.

Is that the car’s fault? I’m gonna have to go with “nah” on that one. It can clearly sustain performance for longer than that in the hands of a skilled driver - despite obviously not being designed to be a track monster.
Brakes can get toasty running the East 2.1 (aka East "A") configuration, especially for a car which can reach some high speeds.

Here's a video of my car running that config.....does not come close to reaching Plaid terminal speeds and has a better brake setup than the Tesla.....Plaid is going at least 20mph faster before the braking zone for turn 1...heard it hit ~ 140mph; and I'm sure that's with a slower apex speed than I attain for the corner proceeding that straight.

OLD East 2,1:

NEW East 2.1-- track changed a few corners to slow cars down, especially for the corvette owners school:

Sad to see and from experience taking the car to the track in factory form, either Tesla needs to get a proper brake system on the car or tell people explicitly not to track the car before a brake upgrade(instead of posting fastest time at the ring in factory form). Really surprised the car made it on that brutal track. That goes for the dragstrip as well as I can see someone cooking the brakes from doing continuous runs.

I bleed the brakes with motul 660 before the track day and found air in the system. Was there more information on which part failed? Wouldn't be surprised if he just cooked the fluid, which yes should have been addressed before doing a track day regardless.