Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Edition Model S to Get Seven Seats, Production Starts Late 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk confirmed today that a new version of the Model S sedan will go into production in October or November of 2020.

Musk acknowledged on Twitter that Tesla is testing a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring race track in Germany by 20 seconds. 

“It’s a start,” Musk said on Twitter. 

“We expect these track times to be beaten by the actual production 7 seat Model S Plaid variant that goes into production around Oct/Nov next year,” he added.

Tesla previously offered a 7-seat option for the Model S, five front-facing and two rear-facing seats. It seems an updated version of that configuration with larger seats will be introduced next year. 

Musk did not offer further details on performance specs or price for cars equipped with the Plaid powertrain, but added that the option will also eventually be offered for the Model X and Roadster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Considering that the Model S Dual Motor LR costs is $80k and the Model S Preformance costs $100k,
would then possible that the Model S Triple-Motor Plaid would cost $120k?

For that kind of price range, I wonder if a more luxirious interior would be even a possibility, with first class Jet streatching seats?

MP.jpg

Reactions: Darmie
I think Mr. Musk just saved the Model S.

I really hope the next MS incarnation does not use the term ‘Plaid’ .. even though it references Spaceballs the movie.

The reason being, over here in the UK, ‘Plaid’ is a word only ever used to describe a type of tartan cross pattern used on Scottish kilts, and blankets and doesn’t convey anything to do with insanely ludicrously fast, or anything close !

Given Elons love of arcade games, which is similar to mine as I used to work at Atari back in the day .. I strongly suggest he names the next acceleration mode after something from Asteroids, namely :-

HYPER-SPACE !!

I can just see the phone calls to the Tesla Consumer Help Desk in 2021:-

"Hi. I'm sat in my P200DLH+ with a bit of an unusual problem. Basically I was looking for ludicrous mode when I found this HyperSpace button, so I pressed it. Right now I'm looking down on Earth surrounded by small satellites and Africa goes past every half an hour.

Can you send a Space-X recovery drone ?"

Also, does my terrestrial warranty extend into the near Earth orbital volume? I might need to dock with a Space-X recovery drone to get me back home but don't want to be hit by a floating Roadster I've just seen float by. Thanks.

!!

I really hope the next MS incarnation does not use the term ‘Plaid’ .. even though it references Spaceballs the movie.

The reason being, over here in the UK, ‘Plaid’ is a word only ever used to describe a type of tartan cross pattern used on Scottish kilts, and blankets and doesn’t convey anything to do with insanely ludicrously fast, or anything close !

Given Elons love of arcade games, which is similar to mine as I used to work at Atari back in the day .. I strongly suggest he names the next acceleration mode after something from Asteroids, namely :-

HYPER-SPACE !!

I can just see the phone calls to the Tesla Consumer Help Desk in 2021:-

"Hi. I'm sat in my P200DLH+ with a bit of an unusual problem. Basically I was looking for ludicrous mode when I found this HyperSpace button, so I pressed it. Right now I'm looking down on Earth surrounded by small satellites and Africa goes past every half an hour.

Can you send a Space-X recovery drone ?"

Also, does my terrestrial warranty extend into the near Earth orbital volume? I might need to dock with a Space-X recovery drone to get me back home but don't want to be hit by a floating Roadster I've just seen float by. Thanks.

!!
You know I've always liked English dry wit. Not sure that you know that Plaid only means a tartan cross pattern anywhere in the world or if you are being funny. What is funny is the fastest speed being Plaid....what is funnier is that in the rarified racing world the fastest EV model is called Plaid. That is so funny you don't want to drink hot coffee and think about it because it will be spewing out your nostrils and you'll be choking on a nasal enema. Can you imagine the germans trying to understand Plaid ; how a porsche lost to a model plaid

Ludicrous is also a Spaceballs reference, so Plaid is just a continuation of this.

Also, the Easter Egg screen to get the Max Battery launch mode was a graphical representation of going into hyperspace from the movie.

The 7 seat options doesn't make much sense to me when the Model X is available. I hope they at least solved the ventilation problem with the rear seats.

You mean you might actually CARE about the kids you intend to seat in the trunk?

I do like the idea of a faster drive-train in MS, but the 7-seat arrangement is a gimmick.
3 electric motors are, certainly, a good step forward. Plaid, hyper-speed, or otherwise.
4 motors, one per wheel, will be even cooler and faster!

a

The 7 seat options doesn't make much sense to me when the Model X is available. I hope they at least solved the ventilation problem with the rear seats. Back in the early Model S days, some folks on the forum were making a DIY version of the Noggle.

https://www.amazon.com/Noggle-Vehicle-Traveling-Children-Comfortable/dp/B00LXT23RU

When I bought my P90D in late 2015, I considered the 7 seat option, and I was told the 2 extra seats could be removed from the car if I needed to, but with that 7 seat option, the 3 normal rear seats were locked in place, i.e. they could not be folded down flat, which is something that I need from time to time.

Considering that the Model S Dual Motor LR costs is $80k and the Model S Preformance costs $100k,
would then possible that the Model S Triple-Motor Plaid would cost $120k?

For that kind of price range, I wonder if a more luxirious interior would be even a possibility, with first class Jet streatching seats?

View attachment 456231
Just below the base Taycan, I would imagine?

Reactions: ICUDoc
When I bought my P90D in late 2015, I considered the 7 seat option, and I was told the 2 extra seats could be removed from the car if I needed to, but with that 7 seat option, the 3 normal rear seats were locked in place, i.e. they could not be folded down flat, which is something that I need from time to time.
We have the rear facing seats in our 2012 Model S, and the three normal rear seats do fold down.

The 7 seat options doesn't make much sense to me when the Model X is available. I hope they at least solved the ventilation problem with the rear seats. Back in the early Model S days, some folks on the forum were making a DIY version of the Noggle.

https://www.amazon.com/Noggle-Vehicle-Traveling-Children-Comfortable/dp/B00LXT23RU
I think it is nice to give people options. I find the Model S to be a better looking vehicle than the Model X (though I do like the Model X), it has a bit more range, and not everyone likes the Falcon Wing doors. Being able to occasionally seat seven people is a nice perk and we have appreciated that about our 2012 model S.

I do agree about the ventilation issues with the old rear facing seats. Adding vents to the rear of the car would be great.