Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Edition Model S to Get Seven Seats, Production Starts Late 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk confirmed today that a new version of the Model S sedan will go into production in October or November of 2020.

Musk acknowledged on Twitter that Tesla is testing a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring race track in Germany by 20 seconds. 

“It’s a start,” Musk said on Twitter. 

“We expect these track times to be beaten by the actual production 7 seat Model S Plaid variant that goes into production around Oct/Nov next year,” he added.

Tesla previously offered a 7-seat option for the Model S, five front-facing and two rear-facing seats. It seems an updated version of that configuration with larger seats will be introduced next year. 

Musk did not offer further details on performance specs or price for cars equipped with the Plaid powertrain, but added that the option will also eventually be offered for the Model X and Roadster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait for the wide rear wheel option to show up. I'll be all over this. This excites me more so then waiting 19 years until I had my SS camaro.

tesla-model-s-nurburgring-spy-photos (3).jpg
SS camero.jpg

Reactions: DanCar
Keep in mind that if Elon says Oct/Nov 2020 that is really like sometime in 2022.
Ordinarily, I would agree 100%, but there is so much pressure on something big coming out of their flagship vehicles in the short term for a variety of reasons, I do think that this variant may be getting the priority it deserves from a delivery timing perspective (evidenced by testing at the 'Ring and Elon's announcement that a three motor option was being run, which probably could have been kept a secret or at worst, an unverifiable rumor). OTOH, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic given that I have particular interest in this development.

Reactions: Vitaman and Guy V
You mean you might actually CARE about the kids you intend to seat in the trunk?

I do like the idea of a faster drive-train in MS, but the 7-seat arrangement is a gimmick.
3 electric motors are, certainly, a good step forward. Plaid, hyper-speed, or otherwise.
4 motors, one per wheel, will be even cooler and faster!

a
It makes a whole lot of sense if you want to seat 7 without the obligation of Falcon Wing Doors. The Model S has lots and lots of space inside to take advantage of.

Reactions: afadeev
Ordinarily, I would agree 100%, but there is so much pressure on something big coming out of their flagship vehicles in the short term for a variety of reasons, I do think that this variant may be getting the priority it deserves from a delivery timing perspective (evidenced by testing at the 'Ring and Elon's announcement that a three motor option was being run, which probably could have been kept a secret or at worst, an unverifiable rumor). OTOH, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic given that I have particular interest in this development.
I bet it would get out a lot faster if they produced it at Gigafactory 3, something Tesla that is ahead of schedule! And it would also make sense if it's decked out as the sort of large premium luxury car that appeals to wealthy Chinese buyers. They are already building a large second building on the site even as Phase I is only barely finished. What with global trade wars, an offshore source of S/X might become crucial.

Reactions: Dukecat
You mean you might actually CARE about the kids you intend to seat in the trunk?

I do like the idea of a faster drive-train in MS, but the 7-seat arrangement is a gimmick.
You’re overconfident and unfortunately completely wrong. The #1 vehicular injury is neck injuries. It gets much more grim for younger children. So as long as you can keep them rear facing, it’s far safer. Yes there are accidents that can kill them, but don’t be fooled, you can get killed in any place in the vehicle. To my knowledge, no one has been killed in the rear facing seat, but that may be attributed in part to the more cautious and situationally aware driver. My wife and I looked at A LOT of data before concluding that the Model S is a safer seating arrangement for young children than the X. So no, it’s not a gimmick. We love ours and the return of the rear facing seats is very much welcome!

As for ventilation, I got a dark ceramic tint that fixed the issue (aiming rear vents helps too). My children rarely complain of being too hot (unless I’m hot too). In addition, the car is 20°C cooler when left in the sun — even more with a windshield sunshade.

Just don’t call it a “refresh” :)

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V and Dukecat
Ludicrous is also a Spaceballs reference, so Plaid is just a continuation of this.

Also, the Easter Egg screen to get the Max Battery launch mode was a graphical representation of going into hyperspace from the movie.

I know all that as I often demo my P100DL with the "I want my Mommy" message, along with the launch mode graphic. BUT .. my point is that the word "Plaid" over here doesn't have any connotations with speed or acceleration or anything close. It just means a boring cloth pattern, which would leave a lot of Brits (and possibly even the suppressed people of Europe) scratching their heads wondering if "Plaid Mode" causes a secret blanket to be unfurled from under the dash .. or sumthin ...

Hence suggesting the use of an actual 'Hyper-space' button as an extension beyond ludicrous.

Maybe we should run a thread asking MS owners for their suggestions of alternative words to Plaid ... :)

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
has it ever crossed your minds that this is just the build/codename of the platform while it's in dev? do you really think they will name their model the Tesla Model Plaid?

SMH

And I don't follow spaceballs although I saw it decades ago, I just figured it was a play on words to slap the Taycan "you got played!" because they smacked their record at the track and kill them on performance stats

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk confirmed today that a new version of the Model S sedan will go into production in October or November of 2020. Musk acknowledged on Twitter that Tesla is testing a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring...
So, Off the cuff, probably the right equation for Musk statements to actual delivery dates is F(ETA)=2(ETA)*current_musk_ego^PI

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk confirmed today that a new version of the Model S sedan will go into production in October or November of 2020. Musk acknowledged on Twitter that Tesla is testing a Model S with three motors dubbed the “Plaid” edition, which reportedly bested the Porsche Taycan’s record run at the famed Nürburgring...
I hope this doesn’t effect the play of my system!