Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a quick look, beyond the active spoiler, maybe bigger splitter, maybe larger calipers and drilled rotors..

From a quick look, beyond the active spoiler, maybe bigger splitter, maybe larger calipers and drilled rotors..

Sure is looking close to what an OEM "Track Pack" might include. Definitely bigger brakes. The other item the Model S really needs now with the Yoke is a steering rack with a quicker ratio, though.

Aside from hardware, the stability and traction control appears to need quite a bit more tweaking as well - eg Track Mode. I have to wonder if Tesla was running production stability/traction control when they set the last record or not based on the reviews I've seen from drivers pushing the Plaid in a spirited manner.

Sure is looking close to what an OEM "Track Pack" might include. Definitely bigger brakes. The other item the Model S really needs now with the Yoke is a steering rack with a quicker ratio, though.

Aside from hardware, the stability and traction control appears to need quite a bit more tweaking as well - eg Track Mode. I have to wonder if Tesla was running production stability/traction control when they set the last record or not based on the reviews I've seen from drivers pushing the Plaid in a spirited manner.
I am hoping we get a track mode interface like the M3P to tweak parameters, or even something like the controls on the Rimac Nevera.

I agree that this is likely the track package that also includes the previously discovered Zero-G wheels.

tesla-model-s-track-package-wheels.jpg

Reactions: Dave EV
Tesla has indicated they are going to rely on the aftermarket for bigger/better brakes. I wonder if they are going to do anything hardware related or if they are just going to do an adjustable software update track pack and let owners do the physical mods (albeit active spoilers are most certainly in OEM territory).

Reactions: MountainPass
I agree that this is likely the track package that also includes the previously discovered Zero-G wheels.

tesla-model-s-track-package-wheels.jpg

What is the offset on those wheels?

Reactions: bhzmark
I have 295/30-21 Pilot 4S all around on 10.5” wheels. I choose that size so I could get OEM tires with foam. Unfortunately they are nowhere to be found so I have the ones without foam. They are noisy. Howl/hum at steady speeds. I opened a case with Michelin under there 60 day customer satisfaction and will request tires with foam when they are available. I was surprised they were so different.

I suppose it could be the forged lightweight wheels or the additional width up front. Only one way to find out. Wouldn’t it be a hoot if the extra mass of the Arachnids damp the resonance to make it quiet?

• Informative
Reactions: juanmedina
I have 295/30-21 Pilot 4S all around on 10.5” wheels. I choose that size so I could get OEM tires with foam. Unfortunately they are nowhere to be found so I have the ones without foam. They are noisy. Howl/hum at steady speeds. I opened a case with Michelin under there 60 day customer satisfaction and will request tires with foam when they are available. I was surprised they were so different.

I suppose it could be the forged lightweight wheels or the additional width up front. Only one way to find out. Wouldn’t it be a hoot if the extra mass of the Arachnids damp the resonance to make it quiet?
Interesting, I don’t hear a howl or hum on my PS4S tires that don’t have the acoustic foam either, but they are 20” not 21”.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
So I started tapping on my wheel spoke with my knuckles and I could hear a ringing sound. I think it’s the metal shield behind the rotors as it stopped when I grabbed that. Could be the tires and resonant frequency of the wheel excites the shield. I’ll try pulling them off.

I wonder if the track pack will be available for the Long Range, or just the Plaid. LR may not be as fast as the Plaid but it's still no slouch and could still be a very formidable track car.

If it's just bolt on parts (brakes, tires, etc), there should be no issue mounting them on a LR. But the big question is whether the software updates will be made available to a LR...

I wonder if the track pack will be available for the Long Range, or just the Plaid. LR may not be as fast as the Plaid but it's still no slouch and could still be a very formidable track car.

If it's just bolt on parts (brakes, tires, etc), there should be no issue mounting them on a LR. But the big question is whether the software updates will be made available to a LR...
Doubtful... the track package will further differentiate the Plaid from the LR Model S.

Not too different on the Model 3 line. Although the difference between the Long Range and Performance 3 is even less than the S line, only the Performance gets track mode software.