Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens when Uncle Elon decides that now there’s no longer issues producing the 4680 cells and that the Plaid + will get produced.

Then they will be available for purchase. Don’t really understand the question.

Additionally, no one can decide 4680’s into production. When the hurdles are overcome, then they will be.

Plaid is fast. Dammmmmm fast. Normally I would never consider that something could be fast enough but this strikes me as one of those times.

So if you were Tesla and you were producing 8k/238k or 3.3% Model S, why on earth would you re-design the whole bottom of the car to accommodate the new cell architecture prior to doing so on your primary reason for existing product? At some point the MS will be so far behind your current technology that you will have to redo it but, until then, you just polish the turd a bit to keep it viable. From my vantage point, this is exactly what they have done over the last four to six years. MY/3 became Tesla's world and all the new technology and development went into those chassis and just enough energy was put in MS to keep it viable. And this is when they started from the mindset that MS/X were important. Now they are starting the cycle with the MS/X being a very small part of their production/margin/mindset.

Stranger things have happened but I really do not see much time/energy/treasure being devoted to MS/X and even Roadster for that matter. It just does not make any sense. This is one of the reasons I jumped ship for the Plaid when I really wanted the range of the +.

I am sure that eventually, the S and X will get the 4680, but also think they are at the bottom of the list. With the current 18650, the S is compelling and, apparently, selling like hotcakes. The other vehicles on deck (CT, Semi, megacast Y) all *need* the 4680, so I would expect them to get priority. Once their demand is satisfied, then I think Tesla moved to S/X to the 4680 to simplify their battery production, but that seems at least a couple of years off.

Reactions: impastu
I am sure that eventually, the S and X will get the 4680, but also think they are at the bottom of the list. With the current 18650, the S is compelling and, apparently, selling like hotcakes. The other vehicles on deck (CT, Semi, megacast Y) all *need* the 4680, so I would expect them to get priority. Once their demand is satisfied, then I think Tesla moved to S/X to the 4680 to simplify their battery production, but that seems at least a couple of years off.
I think 2026 at the earliest. S & X are low enough volumes that Tesla might find it lower cost to continue producing a low volume of 18650’s (or outsourcing them) versus redesign the whole chassis to accommodate 4680’s.

Separately, 4680’s on the roadster might just be the differentiator they need to go Plaid+ (and the extra range). Plus lighter weight for better track handling. Mmmh I know I just got the Plaid, but boy would I be salivating all over a ~3,000-pound roadster with >500 miles of range and amazing handling ;)

I think 2026 at the earliest. S & X are low enough volumes that Tesla might find it lower cost to continue producing a low volume of 18650’s (or outsourcing them) versus redesign the whole chassis to accommodate 4680’s.

Separately, 4680’s on the roadster might just be the differentiator they need to go Plaid+ (and the extra range). Plus lighter weight for better track handling. Mmmh I know I just got the Plaid, but boy would I be salivating all over a ~3,000-pound roadster with >500 miles of range and amazing handling ;)
I would need a new back after a >500 drive in that upcoming roadster! Might be worth it, tho!

Except the chassis design is already done. They’ve clearly built prototypes already, right? They would have to retool the line of course.

I don’t see why Tesla would treat the S/X any differently than Diamler treats the S class, E-class and their large SUVs, and same with BMW and Audi and their higher end sedans and SUVs, and each with their performance versions.

And all current buyers of those german higher end cars are excellent candidates for their next car to be a Model S/X so there is still lots of room for Tesla to grow if they can find the manufacturing capacity. (The only limit to growth is smaller group of buyers that will put up with the stupid yoke.)

If Tesla hadn’t even mentioned the Plaid + concept, no one would be thinking that the current plaid was anything other than a perfectly appropriate refresh with quite amazing (really astonishing) performance upgrades.

Then they will be available for purchase. Don’t really understand the question.

Additionally, no one can decide 4680’s into production. When the hurdles are overcome, then they will be.
Here is a Battery update from the 3Q21 Shareholder presentation.

Battery and Powertrain
"The 4680 in-house cell project continues to progress. We are producing an increasing number of battery packs for testing purposes, and so far, the test results meet our current expectations. Front and rear body castings, both needed for our structural battery pack architecture, are being produced at Gigafactory Texas."

1634764819240.png

Better brakes will further improve the Model S track times according to Pobst. ;)

"Pobst calls out the Model S’s brakes, stating that they don’t inspire much confidence. He had just gotten out of the other two cars, both of which are some 600 pounds lighter, so this is bound to make the Model S feel heavy on the brakes and in the corners. But he also giggles with delight whenever he gets a chance to floor it, and on each straight the Plaid rockets back ahead of the competition.

It should be noted that the Model S isn’t even a track car. It doesn’t have the Model 3 Performance’s “track mode” (yet?) and doesn’t have many of the track-specific improvements that more “racey” cars tend to have. For example, there’s no easy way to disable the Model S’s stability control system, which slows down experienced drivers."

Screen-Shot-2021-11-12-at-1.36.16-PM-e1636753020555.png

Better brakes will further improve the Model S track times according to Pobst. ;)

"Pobst calls out the Model S’s brakes, stating that they don’t inspire much confidence. He had just gotten out of the other two cars, both of which are some 600 pounds lighter, so this is bound to make the Model S feel heavy on the brakes and in the corners. But he also giggles with delight whenever he gets a chance to floor it, and on each straight the Plaid rockets back ahead of the competition.

It should be noted that the Model S isn’t even a track car. It doesn’t have the Model 3 Performance’s “track mode” (yet?) and doesn’t have many of the track-specific improvements that more “racey” cars tend to have. For example, there’s no easy way to disable the Model S’s stability control system, which slows down experienced drivers."

Screen-Shot-2021-11-12-at-1.36.16-PM-e1636753020555.png

Thanks for sharing! You can tell how the other two cars (mainly the CTS-V) catches up on braking and cornering.

I totally agree with Randy's assessment of the lack of confidence on braking. I have so far refused to take my Plaid on the track (not drag strip kind of track, a real track with corners) until my brakes are upgraded.

So, an update on my attempt to do so: I placed a deposit on the upcoming UP brake kit (non-ceramic rotors & pads of original sizes), and they were supposed to arrive by now, but UP told me it would be another month or two until I arrived. So I cancelled my order, and went for the following kit from RB with the track pads:

If all goes well I'll pick them up when I'm in SoCal over Thanksgiving. I'll be installing them myself and will be shooting a video of the installation, so stay tuned!

And now we know why the stock calipers on the Plaid are black - they were reserving red for this monster brake kit:

For those of you with your new refreshed S with 19” OEM tires, what’s the sticker on the door say for tire pressure? I have the 21s and it’s 40 psi. I purchased Signature SV104’s 19” wheels with the Michelin All Season tires that match the OEM 19s.

So, I finally have my Racing Brake stock-sized rotors and pads installed. This is the kit I bought:

Save 10% on Car Kit (380/365) for Tesla Plaid & LR Front & Rear (P/N 2679-K & 2435P-K)

I opted for the track pads, which are XT970 compounds (as opposed to XT910 which are the street pads), since I plan on tracking my Plaid beast.

From my experience with both XT910 and XT970 compounds on my Model 3 Performance (M3P), the 970s have a lot more stopping power and durability with little to no noise on the street (especially after the first few days).

Installation was a breeze, very similar to the M3P brakes, but even easier to remove the front pads after removing the retainer clips.

So far, besides much better brake feel (see @lolachampcar’s comments earlier in this thread on stock brake feedback), I’ve gained tons of confidence under heavy braking from higher speeds, and repeatable slowing down consistency while driving spirited through twisty hills.

I’ll posted a video later, but I feel like I’m close to ready for the track. Just need Track Mode to be released, and get that yoke replaced with a round wheel..

So, I finally have my Racing Brake stock-sized rotors and pads installed. This is the kit I bought:

Save 10% on Car Kit (380/365) for Tesla Plaid & LR Front & Rear (P/N 2679-K & 2435P-K)

I opted for the track pads, which are XT970 compounds (as opposed to XT910 which are the street pads), since I plan on tracking my Plaid beast.

From my experience with both XT910 and XT970 compounds on my Model 3 Performance (M3P), the 970s have a lot more stopping power and durability with little to no noise on the street (especially after the first few days).

Installation was a breeze, very similar to the M3P brakes, but even easier to remove the front pads after removing the retainer clips.

So far, besides much better brake feel (see @lolachampcar’s comments earlier in this thread on stock brake feedback), I’ve gained tons of confidence under heavy braking from higher speeds, and repeatable slowing down consistency while driving spirited through twisty hills.

I’ll posted a video later, but I feel like I’m close to ready for the track. Just need Track Mode to be released, and get that yoke replaced with a round wheel..
Video compiled! Enjoy :)