Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the Plaid do in staying true in lane? Since all car makers have dumped hydraulic steering and went to EPS (years ago) I have found a lot of cars have a little play when driving down the highway. It makes the car(s) feel like they want to wander a little bit on long roads so I would find myself have to make constant little corrections to keep the thing centered in lane.

Does the Plaid have track mode or plans for it?
Currently running a P100D with 265 front, 285 rear, Lexani wheels (very light forged monobloc) and RB rotors, rear camber adjusters. Wheel alignment is top secret, but she is neutral in the corners. Problem is not enough rear power bias so I have trouble rotating her with throttle. Need Track mode!
Currently, no, but I expect something is in the works

I had a M3P and now have a Plaid. I did take the M3P to the track a few times but have not taken the Plaid there yet. I agree with @Raiderfann2001 comments. The Plaid just seems more planted. Yes, it feels heavier, and it does pull more g's in the corner for sure. Without going to the track it will be hard to say what it feels like doing a corner over 100 mph or what curbs do to stability. I do not believe the M3P lap times will come close the Plaid. it is just SO fast everywhere else...

The new Plaid suspension feels remarkably better. In addition, ride compliance seems to be much more controlled. For example, speed bumps would cause our P90D to bounce and squeak, but the Plaid just seems to float over them with a solid feel and virtually silent. It's like the computer is looking at the road ahead and changing the suspension on the fly. I am not sure if this has to do with the suspension auto mode or not.

When accelerating hard, the yoke can translate your body movements to the wheels. This may be due to how the yoke is held, and its square, IDK, and of course, the violence. So it takes a bit of getting used to. I have yet to take it out for a ride in the twisties but will soon.
I found this as well. My car tended to hunt when under hard acceleration and it was my forearms pulling on the yoke. Better anchoring and problem solved.

My Plaid handles well but is suffering from a few issues in comparison to my P90DL
The P90DL sport seats do a much better job of holding you in place and providing feedback. I find myself sliding around on the Plaid seats (which translates into yoke movement - a new kind of bump steer)
My PDL has lighter rims/tires. The difference in "thud" going over bumps with is very noticeable as well as the lazy response to changes in the road while cornering. I'm moving to lighter rims/tires.
We are back to big sway bars like (if I remember right) the old S P85+ with sport suspension. We have the return of the head snatch when you hit a bump or hole with one of the front wheels then the front bar translates this movement to the other wheel. Weird they went back to this.
Tesla brought down the wheel arches to close off wheel to arch gap. Quick measurements make me think there is about an inch of lowering available with replacement links (stock about 2" with .390" balls) which will lower CoG and significantly improve cornering. This assumes of course that you can tolerate lower ride height/less battery clearance where you live. Here in S. FL things are relatively flat.

Overall, Plaid is a much better platform. With very little tweaking I think it can be even better.

How does the Plaid do in staying true in lane? Since all car makers have dumped hydraulic steering and went to EPS (years ago) I have found a lot of cars have a little play when driving down the highway. It makes the car(s) feel like they want to wander a little bit on long roads so I would find myself have to make constant little corrections to keep the thing centered in lane.
Pre-Plaid dual motors were much better about wandering than the single motor cars. Rear toe has a lot to do with wandering or trammeling on pavement grooves. Too little and the back gets lively. I found about .1 degree total rear toe in worked for me on a PD.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and bhzmark
For those that own a plaid, how is the handling? I'm currently driving a 100D, and over the corse of owning 2 Ss, my biggest complain has been the holding. Its fun in a straight line, but is floaty and isn't as dynamic in the turns as I would like. I haven't driven a Raven but I have heard the new suspension is much better. I'm getting frustrated with the plaid delays (I had a June delivery window for a whole week, and almost turned in my lease, and got lucky I backed out at the last minute before it disappeared).

Yesterday, starting to look at other options, I went and drove a Taycan 4S. The straight-line speed was similar to my 100D, but the cornering was amazing, and really made me like the the car. I would be willing to give up straight speed of the plaid for the handling of Taycan. The range difference, worries me a little, but isn't a deal breaker based on how I drive. If the plaid is close in handling (I don't expect it to have the steering feel of the Porsche) I would keep my reservation. Otherwise I'm considering putting in an order for cross truismo. Anybody driven both and have feedback?
I currently own a 2021 Taycan 4S as you can see in my avatar pic and I had a Model S Raven in the past as well. You are correct, the Taycan handles and corners like a Porsche, much more "fun" to drive than a Model S.

I have the battery+ option which is a 93.4kW pack and I can easily get 300 miles of range. Tesla and Porsche take completely different approaches to EPA ratings. Tesla is extremely ambitious and I could never come close to advertised range. Porsche takes spirited driving into account which is why their numbers are more conservative. My personal experience anyways.

I found this as well. My car tended to hunt when under hard acceleration and it was my forearms pulling on the yoke. Better anchoring and problem solved.

My Plaid handles well but is suffering from a few issues in comparison to my P90DL
The P90DL sport seats do a much better job of holding you in place and providing feedback. I find myself sliding around on the Plaid seats (which translates into yoke movement - a new kind of bump steer)
My PDL has lighter rims/tires. The difference in "thud" going over bumps with is very noticeable as well as the lazy response to changes in the road while cornering. I'm moving to lighter rims/tires.
We are back to big sway bars like (if I remember right) the old S P85+ with sport suspension. We have the return of the head snatch when you hit a bump or hole with one of the front wheels then the front bar translates this movement to the other wheel. Weird they went back to this.
Tesla brought down the wheel arches to close off wheel to arch gap. Quick measurements make me think there is about an inch of lowering available with replacement links (stock about 2" with .390" balls) which will lower CoG and significantly improve cornering. This assumes of course that you can tolerate lower ride height/less battery clearance where you live. Here in S. FL things are relatively flat.

Overall, Plaid is a much better platform. With very little tweaking I think it can be even better.
I saw you talking tires earlier (congrats on the car BTW). I just did a little research on Tirerack and moving to a square 285/35/20 setup, which is what I have ordered, yields the exact same tread width overall. Obviously rears narrower, fronts wider. I’m assuming this means it also has the same surface area of the contact patch. This is for Pilot Sport 4S’s, I image other brands could be slightly different.

I have a hunch that this setup will cost little to nothing at the drat strip. The Plaid, although it launches very hard, feels like it limits full power in the initial few yards (or mph). Then it pours the power on after it’s moving. Therefore I think the advantage of lighter wheels and the same contact patch may help the 1/4 mile runs. And further to your point, may make it handle better overall.