Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid hood - bumper alignment concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new plaid back in December. On delivery day, my hood would not open and they took the car to the back and adjusted the latch so it would open. After a couple failed attempts, they scheduled a service visit a few weeks out to fix it. At the service visit, they did fix the position of microswitch on the latch. However when opening the hood, it makes a pretty loud clunk. I also have a 2019 Model X, and the hood doesn't sound like that. They were short staffed due to the holidays so I took the car and they rescheduled for 1/21.

I'm actually not too worried about the hood sound. Although, any refresh Model S owners, please let me know how your hood opens.

My main concern is the alignment of the hood against the bumper. See attached. I saw another thread that a couple people said is within spec, but mine seems a little worse. There is a noticeable gap between the hood and that small curve of the bumper next to the headlights.

My upcoming service visit is supposed to address it via the body shop, but I'm concerned it may just make things worse when they mess with alignments. It's somewhat minor all considering, and the car is really amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 311
My Model S Plaid hood was misaligned upon delivery (12/31/21). Tesla Service in Orlando attempted to correct it, and now it's just as bad on the opposite side! They also attempted to fix the driver side window, which wouldn't go up all the way without a few extra taps on the button. Now it goes up a little further (still not all the way), but it's not aligned!! I've had so many bad experiences with this location over the years, but had hoped these would be simple corrections. Nope. Worse, they were very defensive, telling me it was my fault for not mentioning the seal when I opened the concern (huh?). The Tesla mobile service team has been SOOO much more reliable, which much higher quality work, in my experience, so I'm having them come out to see if they can reverse/correct the 2 issues. Unfortunately I was told that they might not be able to do the hood alignment because it takes 2 guys. If mobile service can't help, may need to take a road trip to Tampa, because I'm afraid Orlando Service Center will keep making it worse.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and tm1v2
My Model S Plaid hood was misaligned upon delivery (12/31/21). Tesla Service in Orlando attempted to correct it, and now it's just as bad on the opposite side! They also attempted to fix the driver side window, which wouldn't go up all the way without a few extra taps on the button. Now it goes up a little further (still not all the way), but it's not aligned!! I've had so many bad experiences with this location over the years, but had hoped these would be simple corrections. Nope. Worse, they were very defensive, telling me it was my fault for not mentioning the seal when I opened the concern (huh?). The Tesla mobile service team has been SOOO much more reliable, which much higher quality work, in my experience, so I'm having them come out to see if they can reverse/correct the 2 issues. Unfortunately I was told that they might not be able to do the hood alignment because it takes 2 guys. If mobile service can't help, may need to take a road trip to Tampa, because I'm afraid Orlando Service Center will keep making it worse.
Which location? Eatonville?

Any update i have appointment with them in 2 weeks to fix the frunk weather seal

Which location? Eatonville? Any update i have appointment with them in 2 weeks to fix the frunk weather seal.

Yes Eatonville. Haven't taken it back to them because I really don't think I can trust them with my Teslas any longer after so many issues. Waiting for mobile service team to repair window (has been rescheduled several times due to parts availability), and will get hood alignment at another service center at a later date. Good luck with them! Let me know how it goes if you don't mind (though I assume the frunk seal is a simple swap).

Please keep us posted on how it goes in Tampa.
I too use Eatonville and they have been great until my last visit.
I had a list of software type issues with time stamps and even pictures and videos. They kept my car a week and when I came to pick it up, they blamed everything on my USB stick and told me to get a "Tesla" USB ...wait for it...wait for it...I HAD A TESLA USB! I mean it was in the USB slot in the front console (you cant make this up) !

So I went out and looked in my car to see if it had been "knocked" out or something...it had not. It was sitting their all plugged in.

I went back in and brought this to their attention all I got was blank stares (I will leave names out for now becasue everyone has a bad day once in a while) .
Not to mention hand prints all over my white interior and they left me a coffee cup(used) and half a bottle of water in my passenger side floor...didn't even charge me extra for them.
I simply left before I acted like a an AH,I could feel it coming...

They did replace my axles again due to vibration though.

Did I mention they kept my car for a week for this?? no loaner.

I picked up both of our Teslas at Tampa and they were great for that experience, never used them for service.
I am picking up my Plaid this Thursday from Orlando so we will see how that goes.

Id like to balance the scales by giving a shout out to the mobile team though. They are very good and helpful every time we have had to use them.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Yes Eatonville. Haven't taken it back to them because I really don't think I can trust them with my Teslas any longer after so many issues. Waiting for mobile service team to repair window (has been rescheduled several times due to parts availability), and will get hood alignment at another service center at a later date. Good luck with them! Let me know how it goes if you don't mind (though I assume the frunk seal is a simple swap).
Thanks for the update. It is my first Tesla and for sure that SC looked like a mess when I picked up the car (maybe all of them like this but I do not know)

I will see what they will do for the weather seal.

Let me know about the Frunk and what dealer you ended up using as I would like to get mine adjusted too. At this point I do not mind to pay someone to fix it, I am just thrilled the Paint is perfect.