Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Impressions, Road Noise & Real Solutions

SoCal Buzz

Early Adopter
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2018
OC, Calif.
I have found the 2021+ to be quieter with a much smoother ride than my 2018 S. The double pain glass and heavier door insulation definitely contribute. However, I did have an alignment issue on driver’s window that caused noise from improper seal. See the attached picture before I got it fixed, which shows edge of window sticking out from the seal instead of into it, which caught air and created noise. So perhaps the OPs issue was related to something like this. Those triangular glass windows are notorious on all Model S.

31F60FD9-7D11-4188-86C0-D385F929965C.jpeg

cruiserlarry

Gadgetologist
Jan 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I drove the Mercedes EQS 580. Very quiet, very comfortable on the road - but definitely NOT better range (rated at 340 max - my demo had 40% charge and 134 miles of range left on ECO mode, so in the standard or performance mode you'll get much less). It also has the busiest screen / button setup of any vehicle I've ever driven, and the multiple screen displays are very hard to read when driving. The navigation display is 3D which works well, and the heads up display is nice unless you are driving on a sunny day. The field of vision through the front is much narrower than the S (I'm 6'7" so I am tall in the seat). It feels like a much larger / heavier car than the S when you are driving, although the rear steering helps in tight spots. Styling looks like a boat, IMO, so nothing special to me. I would keep my Tesla, noise and all, over the EQS. And given Mercedes reliability issues in general, I'm not sure it will hold up as well as the Tesla mechanically, even if the body / interior seems to be constructed tighter.

Plaidish

Aug 21, 2021
NY
I drove the Mercedes EQS 580. Very quiet, very comfortable on the road - but definitely NOT better range (rated at 340 max - my demo had 40% charge and 134 miles of range left on ECO mode, so in the standard or performance mode you'll get much less). It also has the busiest screen / button setup of any vehicle I've ever driven, and the multiple screen displays are very hard to read when driving. The navigation display is 3D which works well, and the heads up display is nice unless you are driving on a sunny day. The field of vision through the front is much narrower than the S (I'm 6'7" so I am tall in the seat). It feels like a much larger / heavier car than the S when you are driving, although the rear steering helps in tight spots. Styling looks like a boat, IMO, so nothing special to me. I would keep my Tesla, noise and all, over the EQS. And given Mercedes reliability issues in general, I'm not sure it will hold up as well as the Tesla mechanically, even if the body / interior seems to be constructed tighter.
I agree. Test drove the eqs last weekend at an eqs event and wasn’t impressed. Shape wasn’t flattering and surprisingly there was a d noticeable amount of rattles. Unsure if they are still pre production? I would not switch until I get wowed, still love the Model S

DelPhonic1

Mar 20, 2020
Burbank
If noise if your big complain, check out Mercedes EQS - apparently the quietest EV ever built. The EQS as a whole seems to be a luxury version of a Model S, sans Plaid straight line acceleration. EQS has more range and better brakes too.
Can the EQS be driven as hard/fast and braked as hard/fast repeatedly at the same speeds people are complaining about with the Plaid brakes? If so I could understand your brake issue...

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
Can the EQS be driven as hard/fast and braked as hard/fast repeatedly at the same speeds people are complaining about with the Plaid brakes? If so I could understand your brake issue...
No brakes last forever. Even ceramic brakes will start fading after some number of intense laps, especially with a heavy car (as all EV's are). The EQS brakes should start fading later than the Plaid. I suspect the EQS AMG will have upgraded brakes too.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
Did you have the standard HUD or the AR version?

cruiserlarry

Gadgetologist
Jan 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any feedback on the seats in the Plaid ? I have a 17 S with adjustable headrests, and the new seats are fixed. I'm 6'7", so are there any tall folks with an opinion on seating comfort differences btwn the refresh seats and the Plaid seats?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC