Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid inner tire wear and new back tires-anyone running 305s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Recently purchased a 2021 model S plaid as my first Tesla so please forgive any ignorance. It has 13,000 mi and already have the dreaded inner tread wear issue and separation on the right rear and starting on the left.

I've already looked into getting adjustable rear cambers to help the issue. As an aside if anyone has any good links on where to best get those it's appreciated.

I have the 21-in wheels and I can't find the OEM 295/30/21 Michelin pilot sport 4S's anywhere in stock even without the Tesla acoustics. (Which I'm fine to do without)

I can find the 305/30/21s available as early as next week for the rears. Has anyone run the 305 mps4s instead on the 21-in wheels? I assume these should be fine without any rubbing. Obviously given the same ratio they will be a few millimeters taller but I don't think that should cause any problems.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Will

Hi guys,

Recently purchased a 2021 model S plaid as my first Tesla so please forgive any ignorance. It has 13,000 mi and already have the dreaded inner tread wear issue and separation on the right rear and starting on the left.

I've already looked into getting adjustable rear cambers to help the issue. As an aside if anyone has any good links on where to best get those it's appreciated.

I have the 21-in wheels and I can't find the OEM 295/30/21 Michelin pilot sport 4S's anywhere in stock even without the Tesla acoustics. (Which I'm fine to do without)

I can find the 305/30/21s available as early as next week for the rears. Has anyone run the 305 mps4s instead on the 21-in wheels? I assume these should be fine without any rubbing. Obviously given the same ratio they will be a few millimeters taller but I don't think that should cause any problems.

Will
Any chance you might be able to post some pictures of your rear, inner sidewall tread separation?

This is a serious safety defect as the tread itself looks fine, but the part that's hardest to see, the inner sidewall, literally comes apart, leaving driver exposed to possible high speed blow outs.

Also, please post a safety defect with the NHTSA:

www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Thanks!

Can't speak the 305s but 13k miles seems to be a pretty decent amt of miles compared to what others on this forum are getting. The warranty for Michelin is 30k for the Ps4s, but with staggered it's halved to 15k. Maybe you can file a claim for "defect" to get them replaced?

Hi guys,

Will
My local Discount Tire recommended that idea as those tires may be more available, BUT my take is: no go.

As soon as you do something that takes the vehicle out of stock condition, you now enter Experimental phase, and Tesla/Michelin can (and will) blame any issue on your decision to not go stock. Thus, if in 6k or 8k or 10k miles your tires delaminate, it's all on you since you're not on the recommended "stock" tire, as indicated on the door jamb sticker.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but my gut says they'll take any opportunity to avoid responsibility (and they have).

The only reason I'm sticking with stock (and Discount Tire, for now) is that DT appears willing to make a warranty claim with Michelin. Now if they just had the damn replacement tires available . . . . Oddly, they now appear to be on TireRack.com's site, so perhaps any day now?