Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid... is it real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a buyer lined up for my BMW M5, but I only want to sell it if I can get a Model S Plaid. I don't trust Tesla to deliver though. In 2017 I test drove an S and they salesman promised me they would be full auto pilot by the end of the year. People paid for that on leases that have already been turned in and never got it. They said the cyber truck was coming out sooner, it was delayed, same with the semi, and the roadster. I preordered the Plaid+ before they announced the two different models and already feel like I was lied to about that. They said it would be out this year, that's why I put my car up for sale, now it's not. I know this is the wrong place to say this, but Tesla is AWFUL. That being said, if the performance numbers on the Plaid are legit, and it's going to happen, I want it. Has anyone here received one yet? Seen one? Or heard any news other than what's on the website? I did an acceleration analysis of the lap they showed at Laguna Seca. 60-130mph took > 6 seconds. If 0-60 takes 2.00 seconds, then at 8 seconds it should be going 130mph, but they claim it will run a 9.2 1/4 mile at 155mph. That doesn't add up.

Tesla has probably done quite a few tweaks to the plaid from when the Laguna seca lap 4+ months earlier. Tesla knows some customers go to tracks and do 1/4 miles races etc. and post videos. There are a few youtube channels strictly racing other cars their Teslas. If the car is advertised with specific performance numbers, my guess is the car customers receive will meet or exceed those numbers. The numbers listed by Tesla are pretty specific; so the car was definitely doing 9.23/155 in tests before they posted the numbers in late Jan 2021. That said, I agree with you that the car going around Laguna seca in Sept 2020 wouldn’t have achieved 155 in the 1/4. I did analysis as well so you are correct.
Watch some videos of the Tesla Roadster test rides in 2017. Same plaid tri motor and tech has been improved since then.
It’s probably extremely expensive and time consuming to do those Laguna seca laps. Since Tesla has the best time, there’s no need to rush back. If the same driver did a lap with the car now, the time would probably be faster by a full second or more. My speculation of course.

Last edited:
I have a buyer lined up for my BMW M5, but I only want to sell it if I can get a Model S Plaid. I don't trust Tesla to deliver though. In 2017 I test drove an S and they salesman promised me they would be full auto pilot by the end of the year. People paid for that on leases that have already been turned in and never got it. They said the cyber truck was coming out sooner, it was delayed, same with the semi, and the roadster. I preordered the Plaid+ before they announced the two different models and already feel like I was lied to about that. They said it would be out this year, that's why I put my car up for sale, now it's not. I know this is the wrong place to say this, but Tesla is AWFUL. That being said, if the performance numbers on the Plaid are legit, and it's going to happen, I want it. Has anyone here received one yet? Seen one? Or heard any news other than what's on the website? I did an acceleration analysis of the lap they showed at Laguna Seca. 60-130mph took > 6 seconds. If 0-60 takes 2.00 seconds, then at 8 seconds it should be going 130mph, but they claim it will run a 9.2 1/4 mile at 155mph. That doesn't add up.
Move along.

Reactions: Nrazar
My guess is these numbers are from computer simulations and mathematical equations, with optimal conditions: well-prepared track to launch on, 95% SoC, battery pack at optimal 50C temp, etc.

My guess is these numbers are from computer simulations and mathematical equations, with optimal conditions: well-prepared track to launch on, 95% SoC, battery pack at optimal 50C temp, etc.
No way are the numbers from computer simulations and math. The performance numbers are from actual testing. That guy ‘Amil’ who gave the test rides in the roadster is involved even now in real performance testing. I also read online recently that motortrend tested the plaid and got a 1.96 sec with the 1 ft rollout.
Of course the testing was on a well prepared track, warmed up battery at 95-100% soc, etc. That’s all expected and fair.

Tesla has probably done quite a few tweaks to the plaid from when the Laguna seca lap 4+ months earlier. Tesla knows some customers go to tracks and do 1/4 miles races etc. and post videos. There are a few youtube channels strictly racing other cars their Teslas. If the car is advertised with specific performance numbers, my guess is the car customers receive will meet or exceed those numbers. The numbers listed by Tesla are pretty specific; so the car was definitely doing 9.23/155 in tests before they posted the numbers in late Jan 2021. That said, I agree with you that the car going around Laguna seca in Sept 2020 wouldn’t have achieved 155 in the 1/4. I did analysis as well so you are correct.
Watch some videos of the Tesla Roadster test rides in 2017. Same plaid tri motor and tech has been improved since then.
It’s probably extremely expensive and time consuming to do those Laguna seca laps. Since Tesla has the best time, there’s no need to rush back. If the same driver did a lap with the car now, the time would probably be faster by a full second or more. My speculation of course.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad some of you understood my points and weren't overly defensive of Tesla. :) I think they're beautiful cars and have a lot going for them, but the company seems to make a ton of huge claims and doesn't have a great track record of delivering on them, that's all I'm saying.

Another thing I was considering that there's some mode that's only available for say 30 seconds, then requires a cool down and that's why they couldn't run laps with it. The 60-130mph acceleration required to hit a 9.2 with 0-60 in 2.0 seconds is about 4 seconds (found some data from a modified Audi RS3 that hit a 2.0 0-60 and 9.2 1/4 mile at 154mph). In other words, what they showed is ~50% slower than it needs to be to hit advertised numbers. That's significant. I don't know if 4 months is enough development time to do that.

Hopefully we'll find out soon though. I guess I'll just keep my current car until some of these actually get delivered/tested.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Tesla’s are not for everyone

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
No way are the numbers from computer simulations and math. The performance numbers are from actual testing. That guy ‘Amil’ who gave the test rides in the roadster is involved even now in real performance testing. I also read online recently that motortrend tested the plaid and got a 1.96 sec with the 1 ft rollout.
Of course the testing was on a well prepared track, warmed up battery at 95-100% soc, etc. That’s all expected and fair.
That's helpful! I didn't hear about that motortrend test! Good news.

I searched and it doesn't look like motor trend tested it. Joe Rogan apparently tested the Plaid with Musk and claimed that, "In Motor Trend spec..." they were able to hit 60 in 1.96 seconds. Not sure what that means. Maybe he meant with the 1 ft rollout.

Your bitching & moaning game is weak, you should go watch some example from the Model 3 delivery thread. Or even better original Model S run. (Or for hard core; classical Roadster start, wow those were the times)

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad some of you understood my points and weren't overly defensive of Tesla. :) I think they're beautiful cars and have a lot going for them, but the company seems to make a ton of huge claims and doesn't have a great track record of delivering on them, that's all I'm saying.

Another thing I was considering that there's some mode that's only available for say 30 seconds, then requires a cool down and that's why they couldn't run laps with it. The 60-130mph acceleration required to hit a 9.2 with 0-60 in 2.0 seconds is about 4 seconds (found some data from a modified Audi RS3 that hit a 2.0 0-60 and 9.2 1/4 mile at 154mph). In other words, what they showed is ~50% slower than it needs to be to hit advertised numbers. That's significant. I don't know if 4 months is enough development time to do that.

Hopefully we'll find out soon though. I guess I'll just keep my current car until some of these actually get delivered/tested.
Lol Nice to see I wasn’t the only one who analyzed the acceleration of the Laguna Seca plaid. I actually did it in October out of curiosity. My estimates said that car was capable of high 9s and early 140s trap speed. I was pretty happy with those numbers considering my P100D was barely able to hit 125 best case.
When Tesla announced 9.23 - 155 for the base plaid 😁, I was not expecting that but I believe it. A few videos would be nice though... Even Lucid showed a few 1/4 mile videos of the Lucid Air. I’m a little surprised Tesla hasn’t posted any videos showing off the plaid. The only video they’ve shown is a lame 5 sec clip of a plaid driving in the snow.
My numbers were similar to yours except the 60-130 time I came up with says it should be about 5 secs, not 4. All good though.. cheers

Can you post what exactly you read that said motortrend tested the plaid, I can’t seem to find anything on that.

Reactions: boonedocks
Can you post what exactly you read that said motortrend tested the plaid, I can’t seem to find anything on that.
If looks like gpdriver is correct. I think I first heard about it on the episode of Tesla Daily’ from the 12th of February. At 4:10, “the Motortrend spec 0-60 test came in at 1.96 seconds.” If you listen, it sounds like he said, “in the Motortrend test, 0-60 came in at 1.96.” This is an article about it..

Attachments

• AC00ACB1-421D-4A9E-A270-50B15F45E1CD.jpeg
    AC00ACB1-421D-4A9E-A270-50B15F45E1CD.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 84