Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid is slow on highspeed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S Plaid is often referred to as the fastest pruduction vehicle in the world. But I doubt it
Is there anybody who can do the accelaration test to 250-300km/h ?
I can't seem to find the data of 0-300km/h time of Plaid.

I think it's because the acceleration from 250 to 300km is slow. Electric vehicles are not good at high RPM。Because the higher the rotation speed of the motor, the lower the torque.
They do not have a transmission, so the higher the speed, the slower it becomes.

These youtube movies show that;

Plaid
250-260 km/h 3.0sec.

McLaren 720s
250-260 km/h 1.0 sec.

Few people compete for signal start in real life.
.So, it is not necessary to fully open at the signal start. But acceleration competition over 250km is important when you are driving on highway such as the Autobahn etc,

Even the current tesla roadstar accelerates as much as the Honda Fit.

Tesla Roadstar (current model)
140-180 km/h 10 sec

same as Honda Fit hybrid
140-180 km/h 10sec.

Oh man, I'm going to pop some popcorn for this one......

You can't find information on 250-300kph because the car is electronically limited to 155 mph until Fall 2021. This is because going 200 mph requires tires that are rated for such speeds, and that takes extra development. When they are available, a software unlock will be available to those who have them.

Everyone here understands how transmissions and powerband works. With that said, the S Plaid has been documented achieving 160-240 km/h in 4.96 seconds. The McLaren 720S you showed above takes 5.8 seconds. Also, the McLaren costs double the Plaid. And I can't put my wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs in a 720S.

I'm sure you can nit-pick situations where specific ultra-expensive hypercars that are faster than a 5000 lb family sedan. Maybe your 250-300 example, who knows.

But what folks talk about when they say "fastest production car" is: Quarter Mile Drag. And yes, the S is the current king there, especially at its price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evee and UltradoomY
OK, I understand why the infomation is not found and, wil wait for the car to be able to go over 260 until Fall 2021.
But I think 250-300km/h time will be longer than 720s. If it is faster, I will buy one.

I think it's because the acceleration from 250 to 300km is slow. Electric vehicles are not good at high RPM。Because the higher the rotation speed of the motor, the lower the torque.
They do not have a transmission, so the higher the speed, the slower it becomes.
The Plaid has constant horsepower from 80 to 200 mph so it doesn't need a transmission. Previous Teslas' horsepower would begin to decline around 100 mph, so a transmission would help them. The transmission in an ice car is used to keep the horsepower around the peak, but it still varies so the average is less than peak.

Also, even though an ice might be lighter, they have considerably more rotational inertia in their drivetrains which acts like additional mass. In first gear an ice car can have an effective weight that is 35 percent higher than its static weight.

It doesn't matter whether you have a transmission or not, at constant horsepower the faster you go the less torque you have at the wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mash
I think it’s more about posting the threadA title

So your decision to buy a Plaid is based on its 250-300kmh time?
🤣
Absolutely.
The Plaid has constant horsepower from 80 to 200 mph so it doesn't need a transmission. Previous Teslas' horsepower would begin to decline around 100 mph, so a transmission would help them. The transmission in an ice car is used to keep the horsepower around the peak, but it still varies so the average is less than peak.

Also, even though an ice might be lighter, they have considerably more rotational inertia in their drivetrains which acts like additional mass. In first gear an ice car can have an effective weight that is 35 percent higher than its static weight.

It doesn't matter whether you have a transmission or not, at constant horsepower the faster you go the less torque you have at the wheels.
>The Plaid has constant horsepower from 80 to 200.
Where can I get that information? I If that is true, I feel stronger to buy.

Absolutely.

>The Plaid has constant horsepower from 80 to 200.
Where can I get that information? I If that is true, I feel stronger to buy.
tesla-model-s-plaid-delivery-day-perfect-power-curve.jpg