Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Model S to get bigger battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two early VIN cars, I have had just about every problem on this list, plus a few more.

I want to thank you for being part of the process improvement for the model S.:) As a prospective buyer of a semi-new MS I like to see how much the build quality has improved over the years.

At least for the near future, I don't see any non Tesla vehicle purchases in our future.

I am hoping all this hype for the plaid model will drive down the used market on 18/19 models for me to swoop one up.

I can only think of one scenario I would need more range that any current model. I know it's a marketing thing but 300+ is more than enough for 97% of people and their daily needs even just keeping it between 100 and 250 miles of range which is what I typically do.

So the one scenario, a roadtrip, I don't mind stopping everything 2-4 hours or so and stretching my legs.

to your point though, I have heard one specific person that says "once they get to 400 miles, I'll get one" I just have to do the palm face every time I hear this kind of thing.

Everyone on this site knows, one of the first question you get about your Tesla, "how far does it go on a charge" My response, "far enough"
A while back I would have agreed with this statement and would have sett the over/under at 250 miles. Now that we've owned nothing but EVs for over a year I have specific use cases that are somewhat regular that would make having even 300 miles VERY useful. Instances we travel to back home where Superchargers just aren't an option because the nearest one is like 1.5hrs away. As it is, we stop there to top off before heading home (especially when it's cold) and then have to slow charge while we're there to make it back to that same Supercharger on our return trip. Having 350ish miles of range makes that a LOT more viable for quick day trips and what not.

Reactions: Skipdd
There are still a few highways here and there that are not traversable with even a 100D. With the Raven it might be doable. 1 example is from Tonopah, NV to St. George, UT - with a distance of 297 miles its a bit much. Maybe the Long Range Raven could do it. When I did this trip earlier this year, I had to take Highway 95 which was a bit longer, but had a supercharger in Beatty (and LV).

I am happy right now with my 100 day. But my wife, on the other hand, refuses to take long road trips in the Tesla because of the frequent stops needed and Long charged times needed in her opinion.

Give us a car that will go 400 miles on the highway and will charge with another 400 miles in 45 minutes and she’s in.

I think we’re close and the next release may very well do that.

I am happy right now with my 100 day. But my wife, on the other hand, refuses to take long road trips in the Tesla because of the frequent stops needed and Long charged times needed in her opinion.

Give us a car that will go 400 miles on the highway and will charge with another 400 miles in 45 minutes and she’s in.

I think we’re close and the next release may very well do that.

She's in? Just get her a cheap civic, and drive the Tesla yourself :)

Totally agree on 400+ range. When it’s cold along with bad weather and elevation, I wouldn’t want to have to worry about having to turn off the heater and drive below the speed limit trying to get to my destination. 400+ is the sweet spot for most road trips...

A while back I would have agreed with this statement and would have sett the over/under at 250 miles. Now that we've owned nothing but EVs for over a year I have specific use cases that are somewhat regular that would make having even 300 miles VERY useful. Instances we travel to back home where Superchargers just aren't an option because the nearest one is like 1.5hrs away. As it is, we stop there to top off before heading home (especially when it's cold) and then have to slow charge while we're there to make it back to that same Supercharger on our return trip. Having 350ish miles of range makes that a LOT more viable for quick day trips and what not.

Agree with this. There are some days I do ~300 mi in the metro area where I live. Add cold weather to the mix and it’s a nail biter w/o planning a high speed charging stop. I’d prefer to have the choice to skip the charge when not convenient.

I can only think of one scenario I would need more range that any current model.
I'll give you another.

No current model Tesla can sustain an entire track day (for me) without having a supercharger within 20 miles for a lunch recharge.

I'm hoping the Roadster might change that. A Model 3 with 600 mi range would cover it, according to my napkin calculations.

Long charged times needed in her opinion.

My wife has been very patient with the whole thing. She likes the fact we travel free of Gas and $$$ for that fuel. Many years now I have adopted a new play on this though. I tell her on a trip we take quite a bit. Two 15 minute stops with very little taper, or one long 45 minutes plus charge. She opts for the two short ones. I take what I need and move along as fast as possible keeping it topped up for that last leg.

SPLASH and GO. I arrive X, S, and 3s charging. I leave and they are all still there or mostly.

I want to thank you for being part of the process improvement for the model S.:) As a prospective buyer of a semi-new MS I like to see how much the build quality has improved over the years.

At least for the near future, I don't see any non Tesla vehicle purchases in our future.

I am hoping all this hype for the plaid model will drive down the used market on 18/19 models for me to swoop one up.

Neighbor has a Raven version P Model S. That car is light years ahead of our two cars.

I can only think of one scenario I would need more range that any current model. I know it's a marketing thing but 300+ is more than enough for 97% of people and their daily needs even just keeping it between 100 and 250 miles of range which is what I typically do.

So the one scenario, a roadtrip, I don't mind stopping everything 2-4 hours or so and stretching my legs.

to your point though, I have heard one specific person that says "once they get to 400 miles, I'll get one" I just have to do the palm face every time I hear this kind of thing.

Everyone on this site knows, one of the first question you get about your Tesla, "how far does it go on a charge" My response, "far enough"

I'm on a 4k road trip right now. It's not just the RANGE that is important, it's the RATE OF CHARGE that is so important. My P85, long trips, I spend almost 1/3 of my time charging. Because the 100 kWh packs can sustain a higher rate of charge from a supercharger for longer, the actual time spent charging on long trips is less. A 120 kWh pack would have an extended time of charging before the rate tapers.

I did the calculations of a P85 vs. a Raven Model S Long Range, and for my trip, I would have literally saved 20h of charging time (based upon abetterouteplanner.com).

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and tontod
I'm on a 4k road trip right now. It's not just the RANGE that is important, it's the RATE OF CHARGE that is so important. My P85, long trips, I spend almost 1/3 of my time charging. Because the 100 kWh packs can sustain a higher rate of charge from a supercharger for longer, the actual time spent charging on long trips is less. A 120 kWh pack would have an extended time of charging before the rate tapers.

I did the calculations of a P85 vs. a Raven Model S Long Range, and for my trip, I would have literally saved 20h of charging time (based upon abetterouteplanner.com).

So yes, a long road trip is going to be the case for all of this. Who cares if your commute is 30-100 miles and I get the faster charging or adding more miles at a higher velocity. I have only used superchargers like 2 times I think so far. One was on a v1, 72kw and that seemed pretty fast. The next one was a 150 and wow that seemed really fast. The 250s are crazy but to your point if you are only capitalizing that speed for a shorter time, big deal and if you could fill from 10kw-100kw at a 250hw/hr rate...... wow

We are planning on taking our M3 LR for our Christmas trip here soon. Should be a nice easy test with no more than 800 miles in a day, probably no more than 650 really.

I'm on a 4k road trip right now. It's not just the RANGE that is important, it's the RATE OF CHARGE that is so important.

I agree. I currently have a late 2016 75D with about 250 mi rated range at 100%. 370 mile range on the current Raven is enough, but I would like a battery pack using the 2170 cells for the faster charging. That is the one reason I might hold out a bit rather than get a LR Raven now, hoping they put the 2170's in the S.

One interesting takeaway from last night’s event is the top of the line Cybertruck that’s getting the Roadster’s three motor drivetrain is getting something that looks suspiciously like the Roadster’s 200 kWh “double pack.”

Makes you wonder if a Plaid S/X that are also getting the Roadster’s motors might get something similar (though I have no idea how they’d be able to package that unless there’s a big density breakthrough on the way.)