Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Model S to get bigger battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing wrong with if you are driving a base economy car... civic, accord, Camry, etc for thouuuuusaaaands cheaper. Run it till you can’t stand it no more. I love my Leaf that I paid $8k for 4 years ago. It’s a marvelous car that has its purpose and use. It’s marvelous to put 10k miles a year on that thing and do nothing but tires and brakes.

Let me first say this, I LOVE OUR MS AND M3. But...

The MS has been a lot more problems.. leaky windows, water leaking through pano roof if parked on a decline, failed door handles, water in exterior lights, tire rubbing fenders, failed MCU, buzzing rear motor that T won’t replace (yet, it’s in tolerance), failed something contactor for battery connection thingy, seats that shimy a little, probably missing a few other things. It’s marvelous when it doesn’t need service.

Your life, your choices. But there’s never a time when your logic would have you buy the Tesla - you’ll always get more car by waiting.

I predicted this a couple of years ago when the Model 3 was released. Only makes sense to stream line battery production. It will be easier and cheaper to have one type of battery in all vehicles. Eventually I also predict that Version 3 of the power walls will get the 2170 batteries. The Model S and X will get some tech from the Model Y ( extrude hone chassis and wiring)

Also, note don't buy an s/x until this comes out, Elon is really killing future s/x sales knowing a bigger battery pack is dropping.

yeah no kidding. Everybody is going to wait until Oct/Nov of next year to get the new Model S with the bigger battery.

I am actually planning to buy a Model S Long Range just as soon as my new garage is completed and I have a place to keep it. The range and acceleration they are offering now is more than enough for me, and I don’t see anything coming that I feel compelled to hold out for.

Nothing wrong with if you are driving a base economy car... civic, accord, Camry, etc for thouuuuusaaaands cheaper. Run it till you can’t stand it no more. I love my Leaf that I paid $8k for 4 years ago. It’s a marvelous car that has its purpose and use. It’s marvelous to put 10k miles a year on that thing and do nothing but tires and brakes.

The MS has been a lot more problems.. leaky windows, water leaking through pano roof if parked on a decline, failed door handles, water in exterior lights, tire rubbing fenders, failed MCU, buzzing rear motor that T won’t replace (yet, it’s in tolerance), failed something contactor for battery connection thingy, seats that shimy a little, probably missing a few other things. It’s marvelous when it doesn’t need service.

Out of curiosity what year is your S?

Interesting. Have had two Model S with non of the described issues.

I had a 2014 P85D. I loved it, but it had its share of problems - nothing on the power train, but lots of accessory issues. It didn't overly stress me. When design anything new from the ground up, there WILL be problems. Tesla has had, in my opinion, comparatively few.

My 2018 100D has, on the other hand, been flawless. They seem to have worked out the glitches.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This is one of the problems with trying to time a Tesla purchase.

Some people post that they do not want to buy a first year model of new technology...until they get the buggs out, and others want to wait for the next technology (seems like there is always a "next technology" coming out to get the latest and greatest.

Others want to wait for the prices to come down before buying, waiting for the next model year for depreciation reasons...etc.

Meanwhile the happiest Tesla owners are the ones that have made their purchases and are driving their Tesla on a daily basis.

This is one of the problems with trying to time a Tesla purchase.

Meanwhile the happiest Tesla owners are the ones that have made their purchases and are driving their Tesla on a daily basis.

Yes, you must enter somewhere, if your gonna enter. Hesitation has proven to be not a great way to do anything. Enter, enjoy and free yourself of the burden of did I enter at the exact, perfect moment. If you can enter, your lucky. DO it before you can't enter.

It really does seem that some cars are lemons. For example, my wife and I bought Subarus in 2002. Mine had everything wrong with it. You name it: from the glove box latch, lights, transmission, to even the engine seizing and needing replacement at 20k miles, almost no part of the car worked right. I was happy to make a personal sale back to the salesman who sold it to me, since he claimed it was a good car. (And he had just won like $10k in a lottery, so I couldn't feel too bad about it.) My wife's car is still sitting in the driveway with only minor problems almost 20 years later.
I'd love to know why that happens, but from the consumer standpoint it's just the luck of the draw.

It really does seem that some cars are lemons. For example, my wife and I bought Subarus in 2002. Mine had everything wrong with it. You name it: from the glove box latch, lights, transmission, to even the engine seizing and needing replacement at 20k miles, almost no part of the car worked right. I was happy to make a personal sale back to the salesman who sold it to me, since he claimed it was a good car. (And he had just won like $10k in a lottery, so I couldn't feel too bad about it.) My wife's car is still sitting in the driveway with only minor problems almost 20 years later.
I'd love to know why that happens, but from the consumer standpoint it's just the luck of the draw.

There will be obviously lemons. I had a 2014 P85+ and it had some issues. Nothing major but I probably went 8 times to the SC on a 2 year and a half time frame. Most lf my visits were on the first year.

Now I have an 2016 90D. Ive had it for almost a year and Ive had 0 issues with it.

So I personally think they have improved the cars a lot over the years. The 3 seems more reliable but I think its mostly due to the fact that its much more recent than the vast majority of the S's out there.

@Nick B
@Cory151

I also think it comes down to your attention to detail. I am a PITA, maybe undiagnosed OCD ha

I had a 2013 p85 for 1.5 yrs. its pretty amazing what the owner didnt see in regards to the water ingress issues.

And now a 2015 P85DL for a couple months. I take back the failed MCU. supposively a failed update. Pending pickup but while is there i had the tail lights replaced under ESA. Fit and finish seems better here.

I bought both with ESA.

On another note, I’m fighting with service to get the outdoor sec cam footage because i think they damaged my car! They are giving me the run around and even telling me there are no outside cameras lol. I want to make a dedicated post on this issue for advice but it is in the its too late my MCU1 died thread. If there is no harm done to my car in there hands then they should show me! But its my word against theirs. Let’s go to the video tape!

A bigger pack is long overdue

I can only think of one scenario I would need more range that any current model. I know it's a marketing thing but 300+ is more than enough for 97% of people and their daily needs even just keeping it between 100 and 250 miles of range which is what I typically do.

So the one scenario, a roadtrip, I don't mind stopping everything 2-4 hours or so and stretching my legs.

to your point though, I have heard one specific person that says "once they get to 400 miles, I'll get one" I just have to do the palm face every time I hear this kind of thing.

Everyone on this site knows, one of the first question you get about your Tesla, "how far does it go on a charge" My response, "far enough"