Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Model S Windshield Wiper Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in purchasing an new 2021 Long Range Model S when it comes out and I was wondering if anybody with a Plaid Model S can confirm how the new windshield wiper sensors work on Automatic mode?

I have a Model S P85D and the auto windshield wiper function works great. I bought a Tesla Model 3 and the auto windshield wiper functionality or lack thereof was a complete nightmare as Elon had decided to have the front facing camera detect rain on the windshield and it didn't work at all, so I am hoping on the new Model S, that it has the older rain sensors built into the windshield wiper itself. Can anyone confirm this or offer insight?

Since Elon uses cameras for every possible function I feel confident in saying the new Model S uses the same camera-based rain sensing as all Tesla models have used in the last few years. He will not abandon this bias on vision as the solution.

Since Elon uses cameras for every possible function I feel confident in saying the new Model S uses the same camera-based rain sensing as all Tesla models have used in the last few years. He will not abandon this bias on vision as the solution.

I was under the impression the outgoing Model S kept the original windshield wiper sensors build into the windshield wipers themselves. Is this NOT the case?

No. It is camera based "beta" horrible code that doesn't work well, as you describe. Musk is under-complicating things, so there is no way he would add sensors on the windshield like other cars do, when he has cameras to analyse things.

Auto dimming headlights has also been beta forever using the cameras to figure out headlight intensity. It doesn't work. It turns on the high beams for oncoming drivers and then turn to low beams, simulating you flashing the other drivers to dim their headlights. I just disable it Every other car manufacturer has figured out how to do these two things well (headlight auto-dimming and rain sensing wipers), but the Tesla is 20 years behind everybody. I have the same opinion of the full self driving, where every other manufacturer has dynamic cruise control which can keep the car in a lane without hitting the car in front of it, and keep up with traffic in the lane. Tesla struggles with this task-- vision only. It sometimes will just rapidly slow down for no reason, or try to go into the left turn lane at 55 MPH. Maybe they will figure it out someday. Every feature is always beta for years. I don't think the features will ever be sent to customers as production ready, because they don't work. They are eternally beta.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CaliSurfer
Auto dimming headlights has also been beta forever using the cameras to figure out headlight intensity. It doesn't work. It turns on the high beams for oncoming drivers and then turn to low beams, simulating you flashing the other drivers to dim their headlights. I just disable it Every other car manufacturer has figured out how to do these two things well (headlight auto-dimming and rain sensing wipers), but the Tesla is 20 years behind everybody. I have the same opinion of the full self driving, where every other manufacturer has dynamic cruise control which can keep the car in a lane without hitting the car in front of it, and keep up with traffic in the lane. Tesla struggles with this task-- vision only. It sometimes will just rapidly slow down for no reason, or try to go into the left turn lane at 55 MPH. Maybe they will figure it out someday. Every feature is always beta for years. I don't think the features will ever be sent to customers as production ready, because they don't work. They are eternally beta.
I would disagree with you auto dimming statement. This feature has never been a problem for my car and is one of my favorite night features. Sometimes the car's sensor turn my high beams off when there are brighter street lights but never has it turned on my high beams when another car is present.

Reactions: sbrand
Mine too works perfectly with headlight dimming, but I am on MCU1 and HW1 for autopilot so I think it uses sensor and not vision. What I was wondering by coming here is about the windshield washer. Is it coming out of the wiper like model 3/Y or is it still coming from under the hood?

It comes out if the hood in a stream pattern, if the car has the "winter package" with heated washers , which my 2020 model had standard. The spray pattern is for those without the heated washers. I believe the plaid would have the heated washers.