Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ orders, post here if you're upset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the hell would I want to pay this much for a car that's just got a new candy wrapper with some new bells and whistles and half a steering wheel?

New battery tech. Track focused, structurally superior design. That's what I signed up for.

You didn't cancel my order Elon, I'm cancelling on you.
I bet it’s still coming. They “cancelled” it because of poor demand due to Osborne effect

Reactions: DukeofURL
I was upset earlier that my Plaid+ preorder was not converted prior to the 10k price hike, now that it has been, I’m no longer upset. I’m happy enough with getting 80% of the car they talked about for $30k (20%) less. I’m sure what was the Plaid+ will come out in a year or two, but will likely start around $170k… I’ll re-evaluate at that time, but in the mean time I’ll be happy with over 1000hp, over 300mi range, and an updated interior. It’s more than I need in reality, tbh

While I'm certainly disappointed that Tesla dropped the Plaid+ after taking deposits/orders for it, I felt angry and insulted that they "automatically" converted my Plaid+ order to a Plaid- even after I explicitly declined their offer to switch to Plaid- for earlier delivery a few days before the Plaid+ cancellation tweet. Even more insulting was that there was no option for me to cancel the order without losing my $1000 deposit without calling customer service. The customer service "supervisor" I spoke with attempted to JUSTIFY Tesla automatically changing my order from Plaid+ to Plaid- as if it were just a different color of interior that was no longer available (example given when she read the language to me in the original contract). Seems like the very definition of "bait and switch". And, it felt like they were doing me a favor by refunding my deposit instead of forfeiting it. The email I just received from customer service says, and I quote, "Great news, we have confirmed that your Model S Plaid+ refund was issued back to your credit card".

I'm so disgusted with how Tesla treated their Plaid+ order holders that I no longer trust the company enough to purchase their products, and I'm divesting my TSLA holdings. If they had simply reached out and said "Sorry, Plaid+ is canceled, can we interest you in a regular Plaid instead or would you prefer a refund of your Plaid+ order deposit?" then I would have been merely disappointed but not angry and distrustful. Goodbye, Tesla.

While I'm certainly disappointed that Tesla dropped the Plaid+ after taking deposits/orders for it, I felt angry and insulted that they "automatically" converted my Plaid+ order to a Plaid- even after I explicitly declined their offer to switch to Plaid- for earlier delivery a few days before the Plaid+ cancellation tweet. Even more insulting was that there was no option for me to cancel the order without losing my $1000 deposit without calling customer service. The customer service "supervisor" I spoke with attempted to JUSTIFY Tesla automatically changing my order from Plaid+ to Plaid- as if it were just a different color of interior that was no longer available (example given when she read the language to me in the original contract). Seems like the very definition of "bait and switch". And, it felt like they were doing me a favor by refunding my deposit instead of forfeiting it. The email I just received from customer service says, and I quote, "Great news, we have confirmed that your Model S Plaid+ refund was issued back to your credit card".

I'm so disgusted with how Tesla treated their Plaid+ order holders that I no longer trust the company enough to purchase their products, and I'm divesting my TSLA holdings. If they had simply reached out and said "Sorry, Plaid+ is canceled, can we interest you in a regular Plaid instead or would you prefer a refund of your Plaid+ order deposit?" then I would have been merely disappointed but not angry and distrustful. Goodbye, Tesla.
I felt angry and insulted when they cancelled Plaid+ and DIDN'T convert my order at first, then raised the price 10k and called me and asked if I wanted to change over at a 10k premium.

What they should have done, but apparently were too in a rush to do properly, was FIRST send an email to all Plaid+ holders saying how the car is cancelled, that all orders will automatically be converted to Plaid, but that you can go into your account and click the cancel order button to have your $1000 refunded. Yes, in the end that's what we have now, but it's had gaps of days to weeks where the message was the opposite, and that's just not a good look. "Tesla generally does the right thing, just not right away".

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianKH

Absolutely agree. This is my story almost exactly except I haven't talked with customer service on the phone yet. I'd received a text regarding proceeding with the delivery and responded to the text since Tesla doesn't like to talk with humans and received no response. They're not getting away with keeping my deposit on a product that Musk said to the world on Twitter was "cancelled." It's a shame really. I own two M3's and a Y and have leased two S's in the past. In fact, I just traded in one 3 and one Y in order to buy the latest model. But after this (I take delivery on the new M3 Performance Friday June 25) I think that's it for me with Tesla. The tech is ahead of competitors and they go further on a charge, but the build quality is frequently @#$% and other companies are coming online with cars that are "good enough" which is really what most Americans by far focus on so they can have the other qualities they value like styling (Tesla is tired), dealerships (I don't trust dealers but at least if there's an issue with my Taycan I have a person to call to discuss it), and cache (Tesla is only cache for fanboys and more and more I see Musk and his practices for what they are).

Why the hell would I want to pay this much for a car that's just got a new candy wrapper with some new bells and whistles and half a steering wheel?

New battery tech. Track focused, structurally superior design. That's what I signed up for.

You didn't cancel my order Elon, I'm cancelling on you.

Chill out bro. I don't think you'll get anywhere with Tesla by crying. You're pathetic.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarcG
I am in the same boat and canceled my Plaid+ reservation last night. The car they showed Thursday was not what was promised - less range, less performance, no structural battery pack, no 4680 cells. As an owner of a Raven Performance S now I don't see the justification for spending $40,000 more than I spent on my car a year ago - .3 secs quicker to 60 (maybe) quicker 1/4 mile (which I never do), 40 more miles of range (maybe). When I thought back on all of the things that were teased out on the Nuremberg and Laguna test car like wider fenders, big diffusers, carbon brakes, big front splitters and even the recent sighting of a moveable rear wing I became really angry at what they showed us. With the loss of red brakes it is even less special and differentiated from the LR than my car is, which is pathetic. Part of having the top of the line "special" car is that is looks special and I think they had a chance to do something extraordinary here. Instead they give us the same old party trick - zero to sixty - in the same old clothes (new plastic nose and bumper not withstanding). Even the wheels aren't really new (flatter yes) - I have arachnids on my S now.

I'm all in on Tesla, I'm on my 3rd car, I have the solar panels, Power Wall, I even own a significant amount of stock. Elon has been a personal hero for sure. However, that magic might be wearing thin. I don't know how many more ridiculous made-and-broken promises I can stand. I've paid for FSD 3 times and still haven't seen it. Two of those cars are gone, so I paid for something that was never delivered to me. Not to be too picky but I've never seen the exact speed or range promised either. Some car companies go out of their way to underpromise, Tesla's reputation is becoming more of the opposite. If they keep it close enough, I can live with that. I get it, we are pushing the envelope and we need to grab attention and headlines to get petrolheads to pay attention. However, is Elon taking too much license with our sentimentality and patience? How can you promise an 8 second 1/4 mile car with 520 miles of range and then unceremoniously cancel it on your flipping twitter account? How can you promise FSD by the end of what 2019 and be no closer to it in 2021 than 2018 (in my car anyway)? Do any of us really believe they are going to deliver a gigantic stainless steel truck with the plaid powertrain and plaid+ range for $69,000? How in the world does that make sense to anyone if they couldn't deliver it in a $140,000 car. So when 2021 comes to a close and not a single CT has been delivered we will all just say "oh well Tesla missed another deadline". Then comes summer of 2022 (if we are lucky) and they are doing a similar delivery event for CT but they completely neuter the specs and raise the price $10,000 what will we all say then? I ask you, if you are a real Tesla owner and fan, like me, and not just a college kid on twitter dreaming about Teslas, how is this going to sit with you. Can you imagine if the Model S still has exactly the same sheet metal as it did in 2012 in 2030? Isn't the Model 3 due for a significant update? Most car companies do minor tweaks every 2 years and full model changes every 4. Tesla has never done a full model change in my opinion.

The truth is Tesla has never had to act like a competitor in a competitive space so they have been able to get away with things that traditional automakers could never do. It will not be this way forever. I hope all the wonderful people at Tesla, Elon included, understand that at some point they are going to have to compete in a crowded marketplace full of compelling vehicles. There is no more meat on the 0-60 bone to pick at, it's a trick all electric vehicles with massive battery packs can do. It is going to take more than a new nose and/or bumper every 5 years to keep this car feeling fresh and relevant.

Having said all of that the sad truth is I will still probably end up buying one. The Porsche is ... well it isn't a Tesla and I like Teslas. Argh I am part of the problem!
Your post is so accurate in the last portion of it especially. I often said, say, and will always say, that a strategy is long-term. What are you going to do, and what "Aren't you going to do". He and his executive team cannot continue to act like this, with the competition continually strengthening and showing innovations of their own. Some day soon, the demand will have great alternatives, and Tesla and Elon have to belly up to the bar and recognize that people will switch. I often wonder if he truly cares, or his executive leadership truly cares? My answer or hypothesis is that they don't know the competition, and when it hits, they will have to scramble to get it together. By then, it may be too late, which would be such an unfortunate scenario. If they get it together (and there is a little bit of time left), they can pull the back office rabbit out of the hat (or their asses), and be the most eloquently placed mfg. in history since Henry Ford. However, there are no signs of this yet, just a great machine. Piss poor management of their sales, service, or other parts of the enterprise, and I don't blame these folks, as they are only as good as their leadership. Remember folks...."The snake wiggles from the head", and the "heads at Tesla have demonstrated that they don't give a *sugar* and leave these folks out to dry", with made-up answers, and a sense of stress dealing with all of us. Why? They aren't told the right answers, make it up, and think they can dupe us all!!! So sad.....yet so fixable!