Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Owners PSA: Ifhate the Yoke/Turn Signals/Horn, please complain to the NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for about 3.5 months and I love the yoke. In fact, I cancelled my first order because I was hell bent against it. You couldn't pay me to go back to a round steering wheel with stalks but that's just me. It's like taking away my iPhone and Samsung in 2022 and replacing it with the OG Blackberry. No thank you!
I know, it’s kinda crazy, some people love it, and some don’t. I so wanted to like it, I just couldn’t.
I did put about 500 miles on a turo. I drive 12 and 6 a lot more than I would like to admit.

Reactions: TessP100D
I've had my car for about 3.5 months and I love the yoke. In fact, I cancelled my first order because I was hell bent against it. You couldn't pay me to go back to a round steering wheel with stalks but that's just me. It's like taking away my iPhone and Samsung in 2022 and replacing it with the OG Blackberry. No thank you!
It's obviously a subjective thing on one level, but watching the various YouTube videos - especially beta ones - it's striking how unwieldy the thing is in anything but the straight ahead/small turn scenario.
I can't see how having the blinker buttons changing position from left to right in a hard turn is "helpful". (Possibly in the US one is not legally obliged to indicate before leaving a roundabout, but in TROTW, in the main, it is.)
I watch drivers happily spinning the yoke with the palm of their hand - you wouldn't pass a driving test like that - and grabbing for part of it in auto when the car can't make up its mind whether to go left or right and the yoke is violently flailing around.
THAT's not subjective, that's just plain dangerous.

Nobody could have said it better. After 40 years of driving and more than 1,000,000 on my back, having the luck and blessing of driving high performance cars in the last few years, I accident killed a cat in y street driving at 19 mph. The horn placement is totally totally ridiculous. This is not a race car that the driver will have the hands at the 9-3 position all the time. This is a sedan that someone would possibly take for a nice long weekend drive with family. Would anyone want to discuss reversing in a garage with the body half turned and one hand on the wheel?

Reactions: Wol747
The rearview screen is good enough you don't need to turn your head. And what does killing a cat have to do with a horn?
If I were driving that 1952 ford sedan the yoke would be impossible. All I need is one finger and a follower to spin the car

Been driving my Plaid for 4 months now, still absolutely HATE the yoke. Everything about it. It offers no benefit. The horn placement is criminally stupid. Just filed a complaint with NHTSA.

Meanwhile, Tesla ranger on the way for the 7th time in 3 months to try to fix some of the other issues with my Plaid.

If I could have test drove it before purchase, I would have never bought it.

And this is my 3rd Model S for the record. Loved my other 2.

The power and sound system are amazing in the Plaid. EVERY other change they made, made it worse.

Been driving my Plaid for 4 months now, still absolutely HATE the yoke. Everything about it. It offers no benefit. The horn placement is criminally stupid. Just filed a complaint with NHTSA.

Meanwhile, Tesla ranger on the way for the 7th time in 3 months to try to fix some of the other issues with my Plaid.

The power and sound system are amazing in the Plaid. EVERY other change they made, made it worse.
The yoke is a joke

I submitted my complaint several weeks ago to the NHTSA website. The horn button is a safety issue. I’ve turned on the wipers and the microphone both times someone veered into my lane. Driving in Florida, the horn is frequently used to get the attention of wayward drivers too busy texting to be bothered with paying attention to silly things like driving.

I submitted my complaint several weeks ago to the NHTSA website. The horn button is a safety issue. I’ve turned on the wipers and the microphone both times someone veered into my lane. Driving in Florida, the horn is frequently used to get the attention of wayward drivers too busy texting to be bothered with paying attention to silly things like driving.
Thank you for submitting your formal complaint. I hope every reasonable person does that. My sincere hope is the board will kill the entire FSD program and the stupid yoke too. Just takes a few marbles on the floor to start something.
maybe then Elon will be a stand up guy and refund everyone.

Reactions: Duke846

I did a turo S refresh, put 460 miles on it and canceled my Plaid Order. ordered another m3p.

I doubt new to Tesla buyers will pull the trigger on the stupid yoke. It’s for fanboys only.
Ive know a bunch of people who have ordered, some had delivery, many waiting for Model S and Model X with yoke after driving my 2021 Model S with yoke - it’s actually very easy do drive and yes whilst the horn is hardly ever used in todays world - the ‘palm it‘ to activate the horn works fine for me

lets let the market device - we have enough government controls as it is …

Ive know a bunch of people who have ordered, some had delivery, many waiting for Model S and Model X with yoke after driving my 2021 Model S with yoke - it’s actually very easy do drive and yes whilst the horn is hardly ever used in todays world - the ‘palm it‘ to activate the horn works fine for me

lets let the market device - we have enough government controls as it is …
Let’s just agree to disagree.
I know many that don’t like it but just live with it.

Reactions: TessP100D

Same reasons my current 2019 Model S is my last. I love my car, but just can't get on board with the changes and direction Tesla went with the refreshed version. I tried a Model 3 in 2018 and absolutely hated it, primarily because of the lack of physical buttons for some key every day features. Tesla doubled down and took it much further with Model S. Add in the steering thing they have in there, plus the horn and blinker buttons, no shifter or glove box button and too far for my particular preferences. Great car. Some of what they did could have been really cool, but, in my own opinion, much of it was poorly executed. If they ever do become true self driving cars, I'll reconsider when I can just be a passenger. In the meantime, I want a car that is user friendly.

started a new thread on my solution to the signal issue