Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Owners PSA: Ifhate the Yoke/Turn Signals/Horn, please complain to the NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Plaid owners,

As you likely already know if you have one, the Plaid has the stupidest steering/turn signals/horn that was ever made. Many others and I think this is extremely dangerous and will inevitably lead to many accidents. We want to at least have the option to get a regular steering wheel and turn signals.

Here is the link to file a formal complaint if you are an owner: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Other people's complaints so far:

Recalls | NHTSA
Recalls | NHTSA

Model S Plaid Delivery and First Impressions

Thank you for your help and for looking for us. I own one but I almost want to sell it immediately because of this. Thought I could get used to it but there's just no way to ever be truly comfortable with it in case of an emergency situation.

6pnCs2p.jpg

I think this extends to S Long Range too, not just Plaid? My understanding is they have the same wheel. For that matter on the Model X too.

Just adding my two cents here...
- If I buyer purchases this car they 100% know what they are getting into with the yolk wheel.
- I am still waiting on delivery of mine.. What I will say is misleading to the buyer after time of purchase is the horn and blinkers. Yes I know they are on the yolk as buttons but I am seeing from reviews online that when turning the car people accidently hit the wipers, signals, horn, etc. Thats the only thing I found out after ordering and watching user reviews.

But of course what is a complaint without a proposed resolution! My suggestion is that Tesla offers a. physical buttons for wipers and turn signals on the steering wheel (as opposed to touch sensitive) and b. makes the horn press in the center like every other car.

Just my thoughts :) I personally won't file with the NHTSA though... again, for the most part I know what I am getting into. If I didn't I would cancel my order.

I couldn’t DISAGREE More with this thread’s original post.

I have a Refreshed LR S and I’m a 1,000% fan of the Yoke.

The turn indicators are easier and more intuitive than turn stalks. You don’t have to pull either of your hands off the wheel to activate (like you do with a traditional wheel) it’s literally a thumb movement over a few degrees wherein the ONLy part of your body that is moving is the thumb. Great!

Similarly, other elements on the Yoke, like the horn or microphone or wipers simply take a short re-train of your mind map…that in my experience…doesn’t take long at all.

Being able to see the viewing screen, unencumbered (compared to having to always look under or over or through the rounded wheel) is pure joy and function.

In regular driving conditions, I find the feel and function of the Yoke actually superior to that of a rounded wheel.

Particularly so, at greater freeway situations and speeds.

On surface streets the VAST majority of the time, turns do not require any more than a 25, 45, up to 90 degree angle…which doesn’t require ANY special movement(s) and is accomplished with your hands arms not having to shift -anything.-

In situations where you’re…say..at slow speed and doing something like a u-turn (a 180 degree movement), whether your hand over hand or using a finger on the lipped area of the Yoke or using a palm as some so on a rounded wheel…all…work! (it just requires a baby learning curve over first days, that becomes completely ingrained and comfortable/functional over time. That’s it.

For me the benefits and looks of the Yoke far out weight any negatives and things like the turn indicators (over time) become truly more functional/easy/less effort than a traditional turn stalk and things like activating and de-activating FSD (compared to older models or the 3 or Y with the Stalk) is Fantastic and just…Better!

Could not disagree more, as I wouldn’t want anything -But- a Yoke at this point.

The turn indicators are easier and more intuitive than turn stalks. You don’t have to pull either of your hands off the wheel to activate (like you do with a traditional wheel) it’s literally a thumb movement over a few degrees wherein the ONLy part of your body that is moving is the thumb. Great!

Similarly, other elements on the Yoke, like the horn or microphone or wipers simply take a short re-train of your mind map…that in my experience…doesn’t take long at all.

Being able to see the viewing screen, unencumbered (compared to having to always look under or over or through the rounded wheel) is pure joy and function.

In regular driving conditions, I find the feel and function of the Yoke actually superior to that of a rounded wheel.

On surface streets the VAST majority of the time, turns do not require any more than a 25, 45, up to 90 degree angle…which doesn’t require ANY special movement(s) and is accomplished with your hands arms not having to shift -anything.-

In situations where you’re…say..at slow speed and doing something like a u-turn (a 180 degree movement), whether your hand over hand or using a finger on the lipped area of the Yoke or using a palm as some so on a rounded wheel…all…work! (it just requires a baby learning curve over first days, that becomes completely ingrained and comfortable/functional over time. That’s it.

For me the benefits and looks of the Yoke far out weight any negatives and things like the turn indicators (over time) become truly more functional/easy/less effort than a traditional turn stalk and things like activating and de-activating FSD (compared to older models or the 3 or Y with the Stalk) is Fantastic and just…Better!

Could not disagree more, as I wouldn’t want anything -But- a Yoke at this point.
I DO agree with the comments that the wipers are relatively easy to activate if your not aware of what to avoid and perhaps there’s a way to better that. That said…am in Love with the turn indicator method and Yoke as a whole and greatly prefer, all things considered!

Can you please explain to me how it makes sense in your alternate reality to have a touch button for the horn that rotates at the same time as the wheel? If someone is cutting you off and you have to swerve to avoid hitting them, how are you going to find the horn when the steering wheel isn't straight anymore? Do I really have to explain this to you?

The horn should be in the middle and should not move, period. Turn signals are also silly and your thumb can't reach the right signal fast enough. This is the general consensus among most owners whether you like it or not. Even MKBHD (huge Elon fanboy) can't get himself to like them.

I just hope you don't run into a situation where you can actually need to activate your horn in an emergency. This is how lives are lost.

It's sad to see so many brainwashed folks.

Quick, involve the government! That will fix things! 🙄
It might get things fixed but I wouldn't expect it to be the quick, if it happens at all.

That said, if someone in the US does have a legitimate vehicle safety complaint or defect on their vehicle and the manufacturer is still within the 10 years of age (search Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA for 10 years), a safety complaint to NHTSA (via safercar.gov) is warranted. In the case where there is an there is a repair made, where applicable, would be better to wait until the repair is done so that that resolution/cause can be included in the complaint.

Can you please explain to me how it makes sense in your alternate reality to have a touch button for the horn that rotates at the same time as the wheel? If someone is cutting you off and you have to swerve to avoid hitting them, how are you going to find the horn when the steering wheel isn't straight anymore? Do I really have to explain this to you?

The horn should be in the middle and should not move, period. Turn signals are also silly and your thumb can't reach the right signal fast enough. This is the general consensus among most owners whether you like it or not. Even MKBHD (huge Elon fanboy) can't get himself to like them.

I just hope you don't run into a situation where you can actually need to activate your horn in an emergency. This is how lives are lost.

I think the yoke is a full-on joke. It's a stupid and obvious regression in functionality for zero tangible benefit.

Brainwashed or not, I still find your pearl-clutching complain-to-NHTSA act to also be a joke. You bought the car. You knew what you were getting. There are plenty of video examples showing that if you simply smash the wheel somewhere near the horn button (which is quite close to the center of the wheel), the horn activates.

"This is how lives are lost" is drama-queen hyperbole from someone feeling burned about getting exactly what they signed up for and realizing it's not actually what they wanted. The sort of privilege and entitlement that only people buying $140,000 cars can enjoy. I don't buy your "think of the children, people will die" excuse, this is a plain and simple hijacking of government oversight to address a personal gripe.

Last edited:
I can't agree with all that.
There was no opportunity to test drive and you probably have to experience all these changes to realize the consequences. I see no problem with the government looking in to alternative control mechanisms and deciding whether they are a safety issue.
My personal thought is that new people will have to drive any car at some particular time. It really is safer if they were all the same (within reason).

Hi fellow Plaid owners,

As you likely already know if you have one, the Plaid has the stupidest steering/turn signals/horn that was ever made. Many others and I think this is extremely dangerous and will inevitably lead to many accidents. We want to at least have the option to get a regular steering wheel and turn signals.

Here is the link to file a formal complaint if you are an owner: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Recalls | NHTSA
Recalls | NHTSA

Thank you for your help and for looking for us. I own one but I almost want to sell it immediately because of this. Thought I could get used to it but there's just no way to ever be truly comfortable with it in case of an emergency situation.

6pnCs2p.jpg

Lol you can't be serious

Not a fan of the new controls but I’d say it’s not a big deal and not really a safety concern.

The biggest annoyance is probably the turn signals. I’ve mostly given up using them for lane changes due to the lack of any way to *consistently* differentiate between a ‘soft’ press for momentary blink and ‘hard’ press for blink until turn. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being totally honest with themselves. (Edit: yes, I know I could just use two hard presses to signal a lane change, but I’m lazy and don’t want to.)

Also to skip to the next track of whatever you’re listening to, you push the scroll wheel directly next to the signal arrows to the right. Well, that right turn signal arrow looks a lot like a skip to the next track arrow. Over a month later I’m still getting a couple random right blinks when I don’t like the song…

These are just annoyances though, not safety issues. And any deficiency is just me being lazy, all the systems do what they need to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
God just move on, I hate the air suspension but not enough to not buy the car. It's your $ just buy something you want. Thinking you'll force Tesla to make something you want is not even remotely sane. The way you do this is by voting with your $'s. If enough folks stop buying they will change.

Oh yea I hate the lack of colors and will not buy another Tesla until they bring back my old silver version! I'd support a class action lawsuit to bring back the silver. ;)

Hopefully our red Plaid will be in soon! It's so fast I forget about trivial things like colors, yokes etc!

Lol…LOL…Drama Queen much?! I’m 1,000,000% NOT worried about “running into a situation where lives are lost” because I have a touch turn indicator, versus a stalk (where the touch turn allows me to keep both hands on the yoke and simply move my thumb. lololol).

I’ve been driving both personally and professionally on road / off road for decades (probably longer than you’ve been alive) and this “issue” you’re trying to make a big deal, is honestly…a non issue (safety or otherwise). I’m not being paid to say or not say anything about the S or the Yoke. I have it. I love it. I consider it both safe and generally superior. Are there tweaks they can make ? I’m sure..but generally I prefer it and wouldn’t swap it. That’s it. You’re under zero obligation to agree with me. That’s 1000% fine..but simply because you “disagree” that doesn’t validate your opinion. My opinion is my own, but has been formed (in this) with real world, road tested experience - now having about 2,000 miles with the Yoke. Despite what some (you) may say, final word (for me)…”the Yoke..IS Dope!”

[…]As you likely already know if you have one, the Plaid has the stupidest steering/turn signals/horn that was ever made. Many others and I think this is extremely dangerous and will inevitably lead to many accidents. We want to at least have the option to get a regular steering wheel and turn signals.

[…] Thank you for your help and for looking for us. I own one but I almost want to sell it immediately because of this. Thought I could get used to it but there's just no way to ever be truly comfortable with it in case of an emergency situation.
Writing with “we”, “many others” and “us”… just trying to make as if your own opinion was everyone’s.
It’s ok to have an opinion (quite clear in the italic section) and check if others feel like you, but your approach is to say the least questionable.

Hi fellow Plaid owners,

Recalls | NHTSA
Recalls | NHTSA

6pnCs2p.jpg
I’d usually congratulate new owner’s joining the community, but seeing this is your first post, it feels like an impulsive/venting post.
Maybe give it a chance (to the Plaid and it’s yoke) and come back later share if you still feel this way or if you sold the car.
I don’t have a plaid, but a plain (n instead of d 😂) 85 for 6 years and 225.000km. There were also some aspect that frustrated me right after delivery in 2015, but the car is such a blast and the hole journey so great, it’s all forgotten.