Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all the responses thus far, but you guys aren’t making this decision any easier. Haha
I come from M3, M5 and 911 all in manual transmissions. And you know how slow they are in the real world driving unless you are driving like an idiot. This is going to be my first EV, and I think I’ll be happy either way.
LR is great. And plenty fast. But the Plaid? Another league. And it's not just acceleration - as Dan Neil pointed out - crazy lateral grip AND it feels better in the twisties. If you're a "car guy" - and you can afford it - turning your back on the Plaid doesn't make sense. My P85D (with Ludicrous upgrade) was scary-fast when I bought it. And it was still crazy-fast. But I got "used to it". Not bored by any means! But this car? A felony on 4 wheels! Love it. My only disappointment so far - is that I had the Autopark for free on my P85D - but this one? You need to pop for the $10K FSD option to get that. But I have a Boxster with a 996 motor in the garage. I rarely drive it because, well, compared to the Tesla, it's just SLOW. That's the real downside to owning one of these rockets - it spoils your enthusiasm to drive other once-desirable cars. Say, imagine buying a Lamborghini Miura S? Beautiful car! You get it, start it up - oooh! V12! Nice. Then you push in the clutch, put it in 1st and drive away and....WTF? This car's a dog! Is it possible that 5 spark plugs are fouling? Or the car is being starved of fuel? Oh well...

I think that those people who say that LR is fast enough and you won't need insane 2.0=>60mph - they have never experienced 0-100 below 3sec.
I'm driving an M5 F90 Stage2 (around 800hp) daily for 80,000 km mileage already, which gives 2.8 0-100km/h in ideal conditions but is still really fast when you drive even in comfort mode. I can tell exactly that there is HUGE difference in dynamic in one additional second with 0-100 acceleration. It sounds like not big diff on paper, but in fact it you need to feel it once, and you would never forget it.

Consider Plaid as your daily car with an option of rollercoaster :) People who experienced M5/M3 once will never go to M550 or M340 instead, never. Because this is not the M philosophy. Here is the same,. i consider Plaid as M version, while LR is just M550

My choice is simple. Yes, not cheap, but c'mon we live just once

P.S. I caught myself thinking that sometimes I feel a little ashamed to press full throttle because of the loud sound of the exhaust (plus my car has Akrapovic exhaust system). So i look forward to enjoy making 0-100 acceleration in 2.2 seconds more often once i get Plaid. Perfect supercar for shy people :)
P.P.S. Someone told here that there are almost no car on the road with <4sec acceleration. True but no. Times are changing and all new 2018+ performance production cars are so close to ±3sec 0-100 like new Mercedes AMG, BMW M, AUDI RS, Porsche - all these are not supercars from Italians with 300-500k $ RRP, these are still superfast premium but same priced as Plaid or cheaper.

Last edited:
I think that those people who say that LR is fast enough and you won't need insane 2.0=>60mph - they have never experienced 0-100 below 3sec.
I'm driving an M5 F90 Stage2 (around 800hp) daily for 80,000 km mileage already, which gives 2.8 0-100km/h in ideal conditions but is still really fast when you drive even in comfort mode. I can tell exactly that there is HUGE difference in dynamic in one additional second with 0-100 acceleration. It sounds like not big diff on paper, but in fact it you need to feel it once, and you would never forget it.

Consider Plaid as your daily car with an option of rollercoaster :) People who experienced M5/M3 once will never go to M550 or M340 instead, never. Because this is not the M philosophy. Here is the same,. i consider Plaid as M version, while LR is just M550

My choice is simple. Yes, not cheap, but c'mon we live just once
Agreed.
I see many people make the mistake of looking at the time difference “of just 1 second” when instead they should be looking at the percentage difference. At such low time numbers, that 1 second is huge.

Lol. This thread is just LR owners justifying their purchase saying how they don't need the extra 1 sec speed and saved $50K. Then their's the Plaid owners justifying their purchase saying how the speed is insane and its worth the $50K (YOLO!). At the end of the day it's just what you want and what your budget is. Also I think we need a long term Plaid owner to see if their used to the speed or a person who drove both LR and Plaid to see his unbiased answer wither the $50K extra is worth it or not.

Hello,

I have both Plaid and Long Range on order but having a difficult time deciding which one to take.
Long range is plenty fast for me but the idea of having the fastest car for just 50K more is very tempting. A lot of people said I will get "used to" the acceleration of Plaid and probably won't use it as often, and recommended to go with long range. So my question for the plaid owners is are you happy with your choice? Do you wish you saved 50k and got a longer range?

Thanks!

Lol. This thread is just LR owners justifying their purchase saying how they don't need the extra 1 sec speed and saved $50K. Then their's the Plaid owners justifying their purchase saying how the speed is insane and its worth the $50K (YOLO!). At the end of the day it's just what you want and what your budget is. Also I think we need a long term Plaid owner to see if their used to the speed or a person who drove both LR and Plaid to see his unbiased answer wither the $50K extra is worth it or not.
People that say “it’s just 1 second” don’t grasp the percentage difference and required performance to achieve that. Going from 3 to 2 seconds is quite a bit faster than going from 5 to 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bull and KyleDay
People that say “it’s just 1 second” don’t grasp the percentage difference and required performance to achieve that. Going from 3 to 2 seconds is quite a bit faster than going from 5 to 4.
Regardless this thread is still both sides arguing and justifying their purchase. One side saying they don't need the speed, don't think $50K is worth the extra speed and glad they saved $50K. Then the other side saying they need the speed and the extra $50K they spent is worth it. If I spent or saved $50K on a speed upgrade I would definitely try to justify my purchase regardless which side I'm on.

Exactly. Here's 10.5 @ 131 (which is faster than a LR in both ET and MPH) versus 9.2 @ 152 MPH Plaid. R8 V10 Plus gets a head start and a few car lengths. Mexico hit. It's not even close. Even given the jump it comes on like a freight train and mows my R8 V10 Plus down like it's not even moving.

but but but...it's "just one second"
That R8 can do sub 3 second 0-60 all day.

Reactions: SO16
Exactly. Here's 10.5 @ 131 (which is faster than a LR in both ET and MPH) versus 9.2 @ 152 MPH Plaid. R8 V10 Plus gets a head start and a few car lengths. Mexico hit. It's not even close. Even given the jump it comes on like a freight train and mows my R8 V10 Plus down like it's not even moving.

but but but...it's "just one second"
That R8 can do sub 3 second 0-60 all day.

But Tesla’s have no soul!