Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? 9 miles more range in real world day to day driving make it a no brainer to go with the model S instead of the Plaid? Methinks your decision was based on how fat your wallet is actually. If you can afford both models, the Plaid is the no brainer, m'friend.
How did you come up with 9? Tesla's website states a difference of 27 miles. I realize you said "real world" so many its closer than 27 miles, but obviously there was no way to know that when I made my decision to order either of them back in January.

Like I said, if the Plaid had more range and same acceleration, then of course Plaid, even at the higher price because why not. But I don't see the value of the faster acceleration over the lower stated range.

How did you come up with 9? Tesla's website states a difference of 27 miles. I realize you said "real world" so many its closer than 27 miles, but obviously there was no way to know that when I made my decision to order either of them back in January.

Like I said, if the Plaid had more range and same acceleration, then of course Plaid, even at the higher price because why not. But I don't see the value of the faster acceleration over the lower stated range.
Well, I am not numerically challenged so I can see that 405-396=9?

Getting the Plaid to feel the max power of an EV, otherwise LR would be good enough; but personally don't want "good enough". Then again everyone has their needs. This will be my first car too, going from riding ubers to driving a Plaid!

Leasing for 3 years and then depending on how I like it and other ev landscape, i'll buy or lease another ev!
Congrats :) I ordered an LR just yesterday (blk/white/19”) I’ve had 2017 P100D and 2018 100D so know full well the enjoyment out of the P series cars. I will however note that day to day driving, you can’t use all that power. It’s reserved for those off times you end up a long stretch or accerlerating on an on ramp to the freeway. Even then always some car in front lol.

I went for LR for the sweet spot of power and range :) identical is every respect except for motor. The speed at 3.1 sec is plenty fast :)

Yeah, it doesn‘t make any sense. I’d love to hear this explained.
21's have a lower profile and a wider contact patch for where the tire meets the pavement. More contact area equals more tire rolling resistance.
According to Tesla's website the difference between the 19" wheel combination is 405 vs 396 which is close to 3%. The difference between model S and Plaid with 21" wheels is 375 vs 348, a difference of 7% ceteris paribus.
Their explanation is: "Range decreases slightly with larger wheels. 21" wheels have more contact with the road and are made of stickier rubber. Both characteristics increase friction." The fact that the 21" wheels are wider than than the 19" wheels is well known, 19's being 255mm wide in front and 285mm wide in back. The 21's are 265mm wide in front and 295mm wide in back. One wouldn't think 1 silly millimeter would make any difference, but it all adds up. So they are saying that silly millimeter along with the stickier tire compound makes this difference. Of course the way you drive also makes a difference and could add to the total differentiation between the two as well. YMMV........pun intended.

21's have a lower profile and a wider contact patch for where the tire meets the pavement. More contact area equals more tire rolling resistance.
According to Tesla's website the difference between the 19" wheel combination is 405 vs 396 which is close to 3%. The difference between model S and Plaid with 21" wheels is 375 vs 348, a difference of 7% ceteris paribus.
Their explanation is: "Range decreases slightly with larger wheels. 21" wheels have more contact with the road and are made of stickier rubber. Both characteristics increase friction." The fact that the 21" wheels are wider than than the 19" wheels is well known, 19's being 255mm wide in front and 285mm wide in back. The 21's are 265mm wide in front and 295mm wide in back. One wouldn't think 1 silly millimeter would make any difference, but it all adds up. So they are saying that silly millimeter along with the stickier tire compound makes this difference. Of course the way you drive also makes a difference and could add to the total differentiation between the two as well. YMMV........pun intended.
That all makes sense of why a larger wheel will have decreased range...both due to more weight of the wheel and also wider wheel and tire.

But why does the Plaid drop significantly more in range vs the Long Range? They use the same wheels.

The Plaid goes from 396 down to 348, a drop of 48 miles with the 21" wheels. The LR goes from 405 to 375, a drop of 30 miles. Same wheels and tires. How is that explained?

That all makes sense of why a larger wheel will have decreased range...both due to more weight of the wheel and also wider wheel and tire.

But why does the Plaid drop significantly more in range vs the Long Range? They use the same wheels.

The Plaid goes from 396 down to 348, a drop of 48 miles with the 21" wheels. The LR goes from 405 to 375, a drop of 30 miles. Same wheels and tires. How is that explained?
Perhaps same as a V8 engine to a V6…no matter what you do the larger gas guzzling beast will always drink more from idle to accerleration apples to apples. Perhaps there is an inherent efficiency with dual motor that tri-motor doesn’t have? Ie. there is no motor deactivation like for cylinders. Therefore more inherent power to feed 3 vs 2 motors? Maybe a layman analogy 🤷🏽‍♂️

No regrets - love this car. Went from a Porsche 911 Turbo S and this car is just so much damn fun puts a smile on my face every day!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.03.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.03.00 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.04.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.04.50 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
Hows the handling compared to the 911 turbo s? I was debating on getting that over this car, I have driven a Model 3 Performance but wanted noise and handling excitement over straightline speed.

Plaid is on par with a sports sedan in "feel" in cornering but it's extremely slopping in braking. I have an RS7 Performance and the brakes are night and day on that car vs. the Plaid. My R8 is way more dynamic in the corners.

Plaid is simply a monster in straight lines, semi-competent to have a little fun in the corners, and sketchy as all hell in braking. Consider it a DD with a little excitement but it won't replace a 911 Turbo S or any sports/exotic car in any other metric (handling, braking, sound/theater, road presence, etc.).

I went to the dragstrip recently and this one requires pretty hard braking to make the turn off (especially given how fast the Plaid is going) I reallyhave to stomp the brakes to make the turn off and even braking really hard in a straight line was sketchy -- the brake feel is horrible, you really need to press hard and the linearity just seems off, and then somehow the car started bucking a little bit and required steering to keep things pointed straight -- it was really weird.

I gave up braking hard to make the turn off and just went past it and had to do a turn around and come back.

Would like a street friendly (no weird noises and functional when cold) solution for better brakes

• Informative
Reactions: xEvoLveDx and Bull
Hows the handling compared to the 911 turbo s? I was debating on getting that over this car, I have driven a Model 3 Performance but wanted noise and handling excitement over straightline speed.
With a height drop on the suspension and tightening up the parameters, it does handle quite well, but of course, it's 4,800 lbs you're throwing around. It may be blasphemy, but I'm not missing my 911 much, even though it would throw flames out the exhaust on downshifts:)