Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TBH, I was holding out for the Roadster, but the Plaid specs started stretching into the amazing numbers the new Roadster was supposed to bring, all in a car that is more practical, and half the cost. I'm sure the Roadster will be great when it is released in two weeks, but honestly I think the Plaid has sufficiently scratched that itch while still allowing me to bring home furniture from Ikea.
The Roadster is absolutely part of the reason the Plaid+ doesn't exist yet. The numbers are getting a little ridiculous for the street, and for most people there really isn't a point to Plaid+. If anything, the Plaid+ could have been an Unplugged Performance-modified Plaid, - a more track-oriented variant, as it's quite clear the regular Plaid needs a bit of TLC in the handling/braking/suspension areas for motorsports.

The Roadster, when it's indeed released in about two weeks, will be something very special.

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Deciding whether it is worth it is obviously personal preference, but performance is a pretty established differentiator among, like, every make of car in this class. No one needs a Taycan Turbo S instead of a Taycan 4S, but they sell because people want the fastererer one. Dodge is still successfully selling people a platform with an early 2000s interior and tech, just by putting bigger, dumber engines in the same car and slapping an $80k price tag on it.

Is a Plaid worth +$50k over an LR if you are shopping for a good value? No.

Now, as to whether it is worth it to me: My average of 441 wh/mi (and climbing) at 4531 miles on the odometer tells me I'm deriving substantial enjoyment from having the fast one. So for me, ya, it is worth it.

It's $40k difference. When you subtract $10k for the extra motor, $10k for the carbon fiber spoiler, $10k for the piping on the seats, and $10k for the PLAID badge, you realize Tesla is making no money on the Plaid over the LR at all.

It's $40k difference. When you subtract $10k for the extra motor, $10k for the carbon fiber spoiler, $10k for the piping on the seats, and $10k for the PLAID badge, you realize Tesla is making no money on the Plaid over the LR at all.
Sure. I mean I got mine via a Plaid+ reservation, so for fun I just hopped on tesla.com and spec'd a LR with FSD and arachnids, with black paint and white interior, which is my car, but in an LR. At today's pricing, an LR order today in my spec is $107,990 before tax. My Plaid was $125,990 before taxes.

Edit: for the folks who don't math good, that works out to $18k

Thank you for all the responses thus far, but you guys aren’t making this decision any easier. Haha
I come from M3, M5 and 911 all in manual transmissions. And you know how slow they are in the real world driving unless you are driving like an idiot. This is going to be my first EV, and I think I’ll be happy either way.
I'm certain you'll be happy either way, but...The Plaid has a handful of other advantages, such as torque vectoring, that should help add a code of extra stability. Anyway that is one thing I tell myself. Were I thinking rationally obviously the LR would be fine. Were I thinking rationally my P3D was perfectly adequate and smaller, thus easier to navigate close quarters.

I am very happy with my Plaid and I have never used anything close to maximum power, much less used Plaid much less done a launch. As a result of my mild driving I am getting better energy efficiency than I did in my P3D or P85D. The ~300 mile actual range in my conditions is surprising. Anyway my Plaid 19" is EPA 396 miles so I'd gain nothing with the LR. Those carbon fiber wrapped motors must be vastly better than those common antiquated ones on the LR.

As you blow the extra 50 large, you can tell yourself a few of those things. Just do not ever, never ever, absolutely never, introduce rationality to the equation.
FWIW, my insurance bill was increased by a massive $32 when I changed from a 2018 P3D to the Plaid. Clearly, my insurance company may well have been a trifle optimistic too.

Reactions: juanmedina and SO16
The main feature of the $10k purchase now is locking in all future improvements as already paid for. The monthly subscription price could increase just as the purchase price has increased.

I don't keep cars long enough for that to be relevant, and it is naïve to think that the current hardware will actually support FSD when it is maybe ready for actual use 10 years from now. I paid for FSD back in 2016 when Elon said it would start rolling out imminently. That was 5 years ago and we still aren't close to seeing FSD actually be worth anything. Don't kid yourself. All you will ever get for your FSD dollars today are the few party tricks that it unlocks.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and bhzmark
Thank you for all the responses thus far, but you guys aren’t making this decision any easier. Haha
I come from M3, M5 and 911 all in manual transmissions. And you know how slow they are in the real world driving unless you are driving like an idiot. This is going to be my first EV, and I think I’ll be happy either way.

I was in exactly the same shoes as you are, back in June when I literally spent a weekend stressed and obsessed about my decision. I oscillated between the two options like crazy and ordered the Plaid….and then changed it to the LR within 3 days. Let me share why…

1. With all new Teslas, the car that is first released is a “just in time effort” by the company aka we are way past the deadline, let’s release it and we will slowly fix and enhance things we ran out of time for. So the first version always has some disadvantages. I did not want to spend $160k for a car that likely will prove to have shortcomings and subsequent releases will have them addressed.

2. Not having 500 miles, no 4680 batteries added further ammo to the argument that this is the initial cut of next gen Teslas that will likely hit the range and battery promises Elon made in due course…and when that happens I will be more comfortable buying the Plaid version or equivalent.

3. The only difference being in the acceleration of 1 second was not motivating enough, when I could get that same acceleration, nicer upgrades, better mileage a couple or more years from now

4. This last point here was the one that helped me firm up my decision: A lot of us make such decisions to get the “best” because subconsciously we are trying to satiate a need to feel accomplished. (Not sure if you fall in this category; if not, skip to my bottom line point below)And we want to personify the emotion of feeling accomplished by something tangible, for example, every time I enter my house or every time I get in my new car or every time I step into my club that I got the membership to, etc. etc. Like you, I can afford another $50k to get the Plaid version, so I decided instead, to put the $50k difference towards an investment option. Most likely it will be stock investment or could land up getting real estate (50k-100k downpayment) not fully sure yet. And my goal is to manage this by myself, not a financial advisor but personally manage it. That way, it’s “play money” but something that I can take responsibility for, enjoy a new hobby or learn something new like crypto currencies, day trading (although that may be expensive time wise) or just good old stock investments. That way, if I am able to turn it into $150k in 3-4 years it will emulate the same sense of euphoria or sense of accomplishment for me and will get me ready for my next cool Tesla or another EV :)

Bottom line: I am happy with the LR decision because this is my first Tesla, I typically don’t like big cars but willing to give the S a try and the one second exhilaration may not be appealing to me in the long run, given the fact that enhancements to the S are bound to happen…so for the next 3 years, the LR is a fine choice, for me. You, do you sir. Either way, be grateful and happy :)

The December 2014 build P85D+ made into a P85DL+ was a first release of the AWD refresh and with the plus suspension, sport (I think Recaro) seats, yacht console, pano roof, etc. has held up quite nicely. Still doing effortless 11.5s after 80k miles and I wasn’t feeling that I missing anything in subsequent Model Ss — until now.

Hoping a first release Plaid yields the same value (it is, amazingly, about the same price, even cheaper accounting for inflation).

the car that is first released is a “just in time effort” by the company aka we are way past the deadline, let’s release it and we will slowly fix and enhance things we ran out of time for. So the first version always has some disadvantages.

Reactions: Paul8810 and SO16
The Nevera is faster and quicker than the Plaid. Facts.

If one pulls up next to you give him/her thumbs up. Nevera is faster.

Last year I had a 720S pull up next to us on the highway I was on my ZL1 1LE A10 with stock 650 hp.

I said no thanks and give him thumbs up. I wasn’t winning that race. Someone will be faster than you sometimes. Just ask Felipe Massa.
That Never will not pull up. They haven't sold one of those yet.

The Lucid Air P cost 40k more than the Plaid and is a new company that can go under at any second. When Lucid hits volume production we can talk about their quality. The Lucid Air P has 450 miles of range with 113 kWh battery pack 3.98 kWh per mile and the Plaid at 396 miles with 100kWh so 3.96kWh per mile so the same thing and the Plaid comes with wider tires.

The comparison to the Nevera is just silly. Let me know where I can buy another 9.2 seconds for 130k...the Taycan Turbo S starts at 186k can't even run 9 seconds and with half the range. 1020hp for 130k with a warranty is cheap IMO.
I agree, the Nevera is a specialty car. Tesla is the only true production car capable of this performance. Totally unnecessary performance, but for those that want it, it exists for $40,000 extra. Or, you can settle for a 10 second car that does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and will still beat just about anything on the road for $40,000 less.

Regarding range, need to put an asterisk. Tesla has historically over-stated their range figures. Companies like Ford and Porsche have already proven that they greatly under-state their range figures. The Mustang equals or beats its range estimate in "real world" driving conditions. Real world test of the Porsche have also revealed that its range is much better than stated. Tesla may still be better, but the gap is certainly not "half" that of the Tesla.

I've owned multiple Tesla's. I'm not a hyper-miler driver by any means, but I also rarely ever "floor it" either. I generally cruise in the 75 MPH hour range. A friend and I just carpooled to Vegas. He in his Porsche and me in my Tesla. For the 280 mile drive, he used just 12 miles more of his range than I did. Same trip, same speeds, same time of day and conditions. Historically, across all of my Tesla's, based on my driving style, my real world conditions for highway travel generally result in achieving about 60% of the stated range. Hence, if the car says I have 300 miles of range, I can count on about 180 miles.

Around town for my daily drives, I'm closer to 75%. (225 miles of real world range for my 300 rated miles of range). Been fairly consistent across all models I've owned since 2013. The Porsche states a much lower range, but at 75 MPH on the highway, nears 95% of the stated range in real world conditions.

I've always wished that Tesla would offer the ability to reflect actual range based on each driver, as just about every other manufacturer does. The range adjusts based on your driving style to reflect what you're more likely to achieve, rather than always reflecting only the best possible range. Based on the above, the range figures in the Tesla have always been completely useless to me as I NEVER get close to the range reflected by the car. Would be nice to always know how far I can actually go, based on my driving style, rather than only knowing what I might be able to go if I drive the car like grandma in the best possible weather, with no hills or wind or cold spots.