Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 types of people.
Plaid buyers who absolutely had to have a plaid.
Long range buyers who absolutely want long range and dont care about speed.
People who like confirmation about their purchase.

BTW - I absolutely had to have a plaid - no choice - no option. I love my plaid. I am worried I need to get in line (order) for the track package with active spoiler plaid.

3 types of people.

BTW - I absolutely had to have a plaid - no choice - no option. I love my plaid. I am worried I need to get in line (order) for the track package with active spoiler plaid.
I don’t believe a track package is coming from Tesla.

Plaid will likely get a software package update but not sure if there will be accompanying hardware. Elon tweeted out a few weeks ago that Tesla service is super slammed as is. Hopefully he changes his mind as I'm assuming majority of plaid owners would happily purchase active spoiler and other hardware upgrades.

Reactions: Angelo14
3 types of people.

Yup I "had to have" the Plaid. It's my first Tesla and first EV. Wouldn't have bought the car if it wasn't for it's performance. No offense to others but every other Tesla minus the LR and Plaid are all launch and literally die after 40 MPH and really fall off a cliff in acceleration at 70 MPH+. The LR changes that game and so does the Plaid. Those Plaid numbers are the only reason I bought the car or I would have just twin turbo'ed my R8 instead. I prefer 8yr drivetrain warranty and stealth street package to run 9s rather than put 70K into an R8 and be married to a shop with constant stuff breaking because I like to drive my cars.

It's funny to me. The P90D was the most amazing thing on the planet when it was released. It's 0-60 in 3.1 seconds was unheard of. There are thousands of YouTube reaction videos of people going nuts over the way it felt. The new Long Range has the same "Insane Mode" the original P90D did, Yet, is actually better. The P90D got to 60 in the blink of an eye, but then hit a brick wall. The new LR keeps accelerating beyond 60.

I had a P90D and while it was cool to feel that insane acceleration, I NEVER used it other than to demonstrate it to passengers. But, can't imagine that people's reaction wouldn't be the same today. There is clearly no "need" to go any faster on the street. I think Plaid will be a tougher sell as it's just beyond ridiculous how fast it is and 98% of the public will never use it.

For me, the cost is just way too much to justify for just a larger rear motor that accelerates faster. With just about every other car, the "performance models" come with A LOT of extra features and further add value. Even the Model 3. It's only $8,000 and you get several other items with it. $45,000, I mean seriously, that's a lot of friggen money for just a bigger motor to go faster than a car that's already faster than just about any car on the planet. On the street, without a grippy surface, what other car is there that will accelerate to 60 in 3.0 seconds or less?? Even the cars technically capable of it, could never do it on the street. Tires just light up. The Hellcat I think barely gets below 4.0 seconds on the street. The Tesla LR range can repeat 3.0-3.1 all day long and probably in the rain too.

Plus, the Plaid, to get maximum acceleration, you have to wait 15 minutes for the car to prep itself. Who the heck is going to do that? Pull up to a light and someone wants to race, are you going ask them to wait 15 minutes??? LOL. It's closer to 2.2 or 2.3 without Launch Mode or Cheetah mode. Whatever it's called. So, really, other than at the race track, the real world difference is just 7/10ths or so. I just think that for almost everyone, the LR will give the same shocking satisfaction each time you slam the throttle. I'd rather take my $45,000 to Vegas and do a one-hand money play on Black Jack to see if I could double it.

Add that to the fact that I won't blow $10,000 on FSD again and it's actually $55,000 for two things that have no practical use on the streets. If you're one that buys $300,000 to $400,000 exotic cars on a regular basis, then $55,000 is nothing. Go for it. But, for the rest of us, you'll never feel like you're missing out on something by not ponying up for the Plaid. I'll guarantee that you could lie to just about every passenger you have and say you got the best one and with their shock at feeling the 3.1 0-60, they'd believe you. It's still that good!

$55,000. Seriously!. That's more than half the price of a LR Model S. You could get a Model 3 for your wife or kid (or mistress..LOL). For many, that's a hefty down payment for a house. Would send your kid to many colleges. If you happen to buy two Plaids, it would be $110,000. More than the cost to get a 3rd Model S. Or TWO Model 3's. It's just mind baffling money for a larger rear motor that likely doesn't cost Tesla any more than $1,000 over the cost of the smaller motor. Sure, there's value to the development of it and I'm all for Tesla making a profit. But, $55,000 for a rear motor and flip of the FSD switch? Nope, regardless of the fact that I could afford it, I can't in good conscious justify it.
Wow. Well said.

Plaid will likely get a software package update but not sure if there will be accompanying hardware. Elon tweeted out a few weeks ago that Tesla service is super slammed as is. Hopefully he changes his mind as I'm assuming majority of plaid owners would happily purchase active spoiler and other hardware upgrades.
Oh if Crazy Elon tweeted it out…. Well it must be true.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I was reading the new ms lr beats the p100d in the quarter mile. Is this true?
The 2017 Model,S P100D was the one year car that was the quickest car Tesla ever made, until the plaid.
the plaid is a hard no with that stupid steering wheel.
‘’this is what a proper shell looks like‘’

Attachments

• 594DEAD6-0896-4FFD-8B91-D4CA46916116.jpeg
    594DEAD6-0896-4FFD-8B91-D4CA46916116.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 97
The 2017 Model,S P100D was the one year car that was the quickest car Tesla ever made, until the plaid.
the plaid is a hard no with that stupid steering wheel.
‘’this is what a proper shell looks like‘’
Uh the 2016-2018 P100D and the 2019/2020 Performance were the quickest Tesla made.
0-60 in 2.25 sec which was king of the hill :)

Getting the Plaid to feel the max power of an EV, otherwise LR would be good enough; but personally don't want "good enough". Then again everyone has their needs. This will be my first car too, going from riding ubers to driving a Plaid!

Leasing for 3 years and then depending on how I like it and other ev landscape, i'll buy or lease another ev!

Reactions: Duke846
Getting the Plaid to feel the max power of an EV, otherwise LR would be good enough; but personally don't want "good enough". Then again everyone has their needs. This will be my first car too, going from riding ubers to driving a Plaid!

Leasing for 3 years and then depending on how I like it and other ev landscape, i'll buy or lease another ev!
A plaid is to much car for a first time buyer. Get something you can handle so we don’t loose another plaid to the crusher.

Reactions: house9
The Nevera is faster and quicker than the Plaid. Facts.

If one pulls up next to you give him/her thumbs up. Nevera is faster.

Last year I had a 720S pull up next to us on the highway I was on my ZL1 1LE A10 with stock 650 hp.

I said no thanks and give him thumbs up. I wasn’t winning that race. Someone will be faster than you sometimes. Just ask Felipe Massa.
Methinks the chances of winning the powerball lottery are much better than the chances of a Nevera pulling up next to me at a light?

For me, the fact that the Plaid has less range was the he decision maker. Sure it’s not a massive difference, but in real world day to day driving, actual fact be is going to me more impactful than getting to 60 MPH a second faster.

Now if the Plaid had more range and the speed, it would have been a no brainer.
Really? 9 miles more range in real world day to day driving make it a no brainer to go with the model S instead of the Plaid? Methinks your decision was based on how fat your wallet is actually. If you can afford both models, the Plaid is the no brainer, m'friend.

Reactions: bhzmark