Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Performance Degradation with Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced any battery degradation over higher mileage and with supercharger charge ups (condo living) for the Tesla Plaid?

I feel I may be experiencing some symptoms after 10,000 on the clock.....

Please, any insight would be greatly appreciated

Has anyone experienced any battery degradation over higher mileage and with supercharger charge ups (condo living) for the Tesla Plaid?

I feel I may be experiencing some symptoms after 10,000 on the clock.....

Please, any insight would be greatly appreciated
Lithium ion batteries degrade over time. This is normal and expected. Also, measurement of capacity depends on very fine calculations and may vary as Tesla updates software. There are threads here about degradation. You might search for them. The figure many on those sites have used is 5% the first year and 2% the following years. Some do better in the real world and some worse. My personal experience has been 7% total in 3 years and 32000 miles on my 16 and about the same on my 19 at 34000 miles. You don’t say how long you have had your car, but at 10,000 miles I would expect 2-3% loss would be normal. If you are around this number, you are doing ok.

Reactions: LJG0053
I noticed it slightly, and also my friend who has a Plaid; primarily at highway speeds. It may just be in my head getting used to the power, but if not, we concluded it was part of one of the software updates where they toned it down a bit as my friends car is brand new, 500 miles and he felt the same effect after an update.. Simple solution is to just turn on "Drag Strip Mode" when you get in.. You get all the power back. Ive got 9k miles and I run a 240v oven plug that maxes out my mobile charger but I dont think it has anything to do with battery degradation

I think one of the updates has slowed dow the top end pull. And I'm not the only one that thinks that, allot of cars that use to trap 150+ in the 1/4 are now down in the mid 140's. My car only has 2K miles on it and has never been on a supercharger. My local track opens up the 11th and I will see, I was trapping 152-153 there last year.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy and byeLT4
Have 12K miles and I`m down from 348miles to 332-333m changes every time I charge. 95% of the time I change at home using the tesla wall charger. Stats app puts me at 7% when compared to other 21 plaid with similar miles.. This is in FL. where its never cold and right now, its not even hot !! What are others at range wise ?

I think one of the updates has slowed dow the top end pull. And I'm not the only one that thinks that, allot of cars that use to trap 150+ in the 1/4 are now down in the mid 140's. My car only has 2K miles on it and has never been on a supercharger. My local track opens up the 11th and I will see, I was trapping 152-153 there last year.

I thought this was my imagination or just getting used to the power. Let's hope this is not another Powergate

This is our third MS and I‘ve always tracked battery charging. If you really want to know what’s going on you have to be pretty methodical on tracking your charging. I keept my max charge to 80% and monitored it via app notification every day. Of course that % differed from our P85 to a 90D to the current Plaid.

Since day one (Aug last year) our daily 80% charge has been almost always 310 miles. We occasionally get 315 - 311 but not enough to change expectations. Total current miles is 7,477.

I am superstitious about max charging and have only done it twice on the Plaid. I feel like some of my eventual degradation on prior cars were due to supercharging but of course I have nothing to prove this. And I know there would be some daily milage charge loss after 70k miles+ on both of them. I get 310 at superchargers and at home. I still have some free supercharger miles left from referrals and occasionally set it to 90% but reset it back to 80 when I get home. Seems like it’s 356 or so but I don’t set it that high very often and don’t track it consistently.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Interesting, thanks for the information guys - hopefully we get some more people here to chime in
I have almost 13k miles on my '21 Plaid. I have the 19' wheels and a 90% charge shows 356-357 miles rated range. A full charge shows 396 (which is what Tesla rated the car at). I took it to the track last night for the first time and trapped 150.xx mph on both passes (95% and 93% SOC) on the 2 passes.

Great thread everyone. I could use some help with my milage degradation. My Model S Plaid has 4000 miles on it. When new, I had 388 miles when 100% charged. Today, after only 4000 miles it's reduced to 340 miles. That's 12% in such a short period. I charge mostly at home. Rarely supercharge.

Is this normal?

You need to run it down fairly low (single digits) and then up to 100% to make sure the BMS is properly calibrated. See this article.

Reactions: LJG0053
Haven't had to this yet on my S or 3, but it worked like a charm on my Y. I don't know if this would apply to the new chemistry SR 3 cars but I think it should work fine for most all the other cars.