Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Radar Detector install with switched power

Yup, just confirmed that wasn't the issue by doing a swap. Will spark up a dialog with with Valentine One.
Same issue here with a Gen 2 Valentine One. Tried swapping everything including my other Gen 2s and still will not start up all the time. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Lots of discussion on the internet but no solutions. I have reached out to Valentine One also. Please post what they tell you.

phaphaphooey

Mar 26, 2018
USA
May I ask what you've read about this that gave you pause? I'm about to head down this road myself but haven't been able to find anything.
There was some speculation regarding the monitoring of the electrical circuits since the refreshes have some sort of electronic fuse system instead of a normal fuse box and thus is supposedly more sensitive to changes in electrical demand on a circuit. At least one poster tapped a wire in the mirror area and his car kept on throwing errors that went away when the tap was removed. However, several others at this point have tapped with no ill effect. It would certainly be easier to do that than to run a wire through the interior. From owning another Tesla for several years and personally experiencing the downfall of the service experience, I would rather be safer than sorry and on the off chance I do have some weird gremlin pop up in my car, I don't want Tesla to try to blame any sort of wiring modification I have done. I know that is far fetched but it is worth it for the piece of mind to be able to unplug the RD should I have any problems in the future.

I am sure you won't have any problems. Let us know how it goes.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC