Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid: retrofit rear brake caliper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Has anyone tried / considered retrofitting the rear 2 piston calipers with the separate parking brake from the older Model S to the Plaid? Might be an inexpensive upgrade if it works (I like Teslas but f their "remove everything we can" to make more money; 30k profit per car isn't enough? FML the greed)

Reactions: dance.parrot
I wonder more about the new brakes for 23 Plaid Vs 21 MSP brakes. Looks like they changed pads and some other stuff, maybe just swapping pads will make some difference. Nobody mentioned yet what the exact changes are

Reactions: bhzmark
I'm dying to do this but was warned about warranty issues. I'm thinking I need to change my SC
Ceramic brakes are nice when they are properly sized (Tesla ones seem to be, UP seem not), and even then only for street driving. Some spirited driving and they retain so much heat in them that they can literally melt everything around them, compared to iron brakes which at a certain temp fade and that`s that, so of course when your wheel bearings for example will got bust much sooner because of the massive heat, you won`t be able to go to Tesla and claim warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Ceramic brakes are nice when they are properly sized (Tesla ones seem to be, UP seem not), and even then only for street driving. Some spirited driving and they retain so much heat in them that they can literally melt everything around them, compared to iron brakes which at a certain temp fade and that`s that, so of course when your wheel bearings for example will got bust much sooner because of the massive heat, you won`t be able to go to Tesla and claim warranty.
From what I can tell if you do the CCB from UP you need to do the brake ducts also. Personally I would do the steel BBK from MP or UP, or even the Tesla CCB if they ever come out with it. I've had CCB on a few of my previous car and even know on my 458 and there fantastic if you enjoy spirited driving. If you are planning on tracking the car for big session there not so great. For street/spirited driving they'll usually last over 100k miles or more, easy

What changes would be required to the brake ducts? News to me.

Cincy
From what I can tell if you do the CCB from UP you need to do the brake ducts also. Personally I would do the steel BBK from MP or UP, or even the Tesla CCB if they ever come out with it. I've had CCB on a few of my previous car and even know on my 458 and there fantastic if you enjoy spirited driving. If you are planning on tracking the car for big session there not so great. For street/spirited driving they'll usually last over 100k miles or more, easy

Hello,

Has anyone tried / considered retrofitting the rear 2 piston calipers with the separate parking brake from the older Model S to the Plaid? Might be an inexpensive upgrade if it works (I like Teslas but f their "remove everything we can" to make more money; 30k profit per car isn't enough? FML the greed)

What would be the point of that?

The Refresh/Plaid is both lighter and brakes better/shorter than the old Model S.

I'm dying to do this but was warned about warranty issues. I'm thinking I need to change my SC

What exactly was the warning? Generally if you modify your car, any problems caused the mod, or, of course the mod itself, would not be a covered under the normal warranty, but otherwise your warranty still protects other items according to its terms.

Hello,

The don't fit. Like literally every dimension is completely different. You might as well try fit Camry brakes. (**Please don't try to fit Camry brakes).

Also, why? In addition, the old system is completely different (smaller) sizing. So yes, if you want worse brakes from every concievable metric which are impossible to install, you should try this.

Why not just get the Tesla carbon ceramic setup? That is absolutely top notch. And also pretty awesomely priced compared to even aftermarket ceramic alternatives. It's extremely poorly publicized but every component on that system is the best in the industry, bar-nothing.