Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid roll racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a bunch of threads on drag racing the plaid, but I want to know what is the best setting for roll racing in it. Back when I had the model 3, I would use track mode, and put it in rear wheel drive. For some reason the RWD track mode on that car was faster for me than AWD so I’m wondering if it might be the same for the plaid. Also wondering what roll is best for the plaid. 30 rolls were the hot spot for my model 3.

I see a bunch of threads on drag racing the plaid, but I want to know what is the best setting for roll racing in it. Back when I had the model 3, I would use track mode, and put it in rear wheel drive. For some reason the RWD track mode on that car was faster for me than AWD so I’m wondering if it might be the same for the plaid. Also wondering what roll is best for the plaid. 30 rolls were the hot spot for my model 3.
Drag mode is what I used

For peak power, you want Drag Strip mode. Track mode doesn't reduce power, but it doesn't try to keep the batteries hot (rather it tries to keep it warm). In my quick and dirty tests, the BMS peak power reading from the CAN bus is a little lower at track mode temps compared to drag mode. I think it was ~30hp or so equivalent. If you're doing a bunch of races the batteries will heat up anyway so the difference might narrow, although Track Mode tries to aggressively cool back down between WOT runs (and while you're parked if you enable that option).

The front/rear bias in Track Mode applies only when the vehicle is rotating - it'll still use the front motor when accelerating in a straight line even if set to 100% rear. No need for Track Mode if all you want to do is roll race. Leave it off just in case things get squirrely :)

Also, I dare say there is no sweet spot. The power delivery is smooth and doesn't really let up. Roll wherever your competition is weakest and has to shift right after you give him the kick.

I was at a roll race event on Saturday with a friend. Both ran several hits to 1500 ft 160-161 MPH. I switched both cars to track mode to test and immediately could tell the car was down on power. We both ran 158 and switched back to Plaid Mode to run our best MPH 161.3903 for me and 161.39 for him.
I wish we were able to run to 175 on any mode. It would be a blast on a half mile to start from Cheetah and troll all of those 195 mph cars. Sure, they will trap faster, but I doubt they will launch as hard and fast and probably will ran out of space to catch by the 1/2 mile...

Reactions: UltradoomY