Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid stops charging after 30-60m, 3rd party lectron ev charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone else has had issues using 3rd party chargers. I have this:

A ford Mach-e will charge to full with it, no problem. Trying to charge the Tesla with adapter, it will charge for a while, then charger will say ‘short circuit’ and stop, claiming 46a draw.

I’ve worked around it via the Tesla app, telling it to limit to 38a. So far that seems to work, though the charger still claims over 40a draw.

Attachments

• F00FBAB5-1E55-4C67-A21C-D2DED62D611E.jpeg
    F00FBAB5-1E55-4C67-A21C-D2DED62D611E.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 196
The Tesla is trying to charge at its rated 48A maximum. The charger is evidently allowing it to go over its maximum 40A before shutting down. You can, as you have done, limit the Tesla to 38A. I don't know why the charger does not limit the connection to its maximum.

Hmm, the Tesla app claims max charge of 40a, to turn it to 38a I only dropped it down 2a. It does seem like it’s being very hungry, for whatever reason. Maybe the car and the app disagree as to the max charge amps?

Curious if anyone else has had issues using 3rd party chargers. I have this:

A ford Mach-e will charge to full with it, no problem. Trying to charge the Tesla with adapter, it will charge for a while, then charger will say ‘short circuit’ and stop, claiming 46a draw.

I’ve worked around it via the Tesla app, telling it to limit to 38a. So far that seems to work, though the charger still claims over 40a draw.
Hi there.. I am having the EXACT same problem with my model 3 and an Electron charger. I got this one: Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - For J1772 EVs

Getting the same short circuit issue, at 46.6A. What was your solution to this? Is this a defect with the actual charger?? I'm sorta unsure if I need to return the charger. Appreciate any info or insight on this.

Hi there.. I am having the EXACT same problem with my model 3 and an Electron charger. I got this one: Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - For J1772 EVs

Getting the same short circuit issue, at 46.6A. What was your solution to this? Is this a defect with the actual charger?? I'm sorta unsure if I need to return the charger. Appreciate any info or insight on this.
My solution was to buy another charger. I picked up the clippercreek version (50a nema 14-50) and haven’t had a single issue since, with either car. It’s definitely more expensive but, I guess worth it, because it’s been solid so far.

I had a similar problem with a Juicebox which charged my Ford Fusion and then Honda Clarity PHEV with no problems. After 15-30 minutes, the Tesla would stop charging and I'd get a red ring when I went to check on it.

After the problem persisted almost every charge even after a month long stay at the Tesla Service Center who supposedly "fixed" the problem (argh/ way too backed up/ downside of too much success I guess), I read that the handles on some 3d party chargers are so much heavier than the Tesla handles that they may pull the plug out over time.

This sounded too STUPID to be true but I was trying everything and anything by then so I propped up the charge cable when plugging in so the cord and handle will not pull down as much and it FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY.

I am going on over a month now without a single charging interruption so my issue at least was the stupid weight of the third party Level 2 handle and cable. Now to keep searching for the next issue I have: a high pitched whine while the car is sitting idle in my garage. I understand getting some whine or noise while the car is running but I don't understand getting the high pitched whine all the time while the car is just sitting in the garage. It started about 1-2 months ago and I don't know if it's normal.

I had a similar problem with a Juicebox which charged my Ford Fusion and then Honda Clarity PHEV with no problems. After 15-30 minutes, the Tesla would stop charging and I'd get a red ring when I went to check on it.

After the problem persisted almost every charge even after a month long stay at the Tesla Service Center who supposedly "fixed" the problem (argh/ way too backed up/ downside of too much success I guess), I read that the handles on some 3d party chargers are so much heavier than the Tesla handles that they may pull the plug out over time.

This sounded too STUPID to be true but I was trying everything and anything by then so I propped up the charge cable when plugging in so the cord and handle will not pull down as much and it FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY.

I am going on over a month now without a single charging interruption so my issue at least was the stupid weight of the third party Level 2 handle and cable. Now to keep searching for the next issue I have: a high pitched whine while the car is sitting idle in my garage. I understand getting some whine or noise while the car is running but I don't understand getting the high pitched whine all the time while the car is just sitting in the garage. It started about 1-2 months ago and I don't know if it's normal.
I could believe that except it would do the same thing on the Mach-e (J1772).

I could believe that except it would do the same thing on the Mach-e (J1772).
I thought the same thing as you before trying this admittedly stupid sounding fix because my charger without being propped up worked (and still works) on my Honda Clarity.

So (1) my charger works on my Clarity without a prop, (2) will stop on my Model S almost every time after 15-30 minutes of charging without a prop, BUT (3) will fully charge my Model S without interruption if I simply prop up the cable (and still functions flawlessly propped up after more than a month of charging like this).

With respect to your Mach E point, one thing you have to remember is that the Mach E (and my Honda Clarity) were originally designed to accept the heavier Level 2 charger head and cable. On the other hand, the regular Tesla cable head is smaller and lighter. Also, when you plug the Tesla Level 2 adapter onto the relatively heavy Level 2 charge head (which may be even heavier depending on the maker and cabling), it is longer with the weight bearing on the end.

Obviously, not everyone has this problem and I have no idea why or what other people's problems are. Like all things Tesla, YMMV and I only conveyed what worked for me and fixed the longstanding problem that was driving me crazy (tired of climbing out of bed every half hour to unplug and plug the car back in).

"Believe" me or not, this is my reality. I couldn't believe it either but was desperate and am just so thankful it worked.

Good Luck!