Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Suspension / Steering clicking issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, brand new Plaid, issue from day one, though it has gotten worse in a couple hundred miles I've driven it... Whenever I turn the steering wheel, whether stopped or going, it makes a clicking noise from the suspension that can be heard from the inside. It also does this when pulling in and out of the driveway or going over bumps even when keeping the steering wheel straight. I have read that there have been some cases where steering rack bolts were an issue, or other loose suspension bolts were loose. Has anyone else experienced this even on an older Model S? I have an appointment scheduled but it's several weeks out, and I don't want to go there if I can simply fix it myself. I can pretty much do anything on cars, I just need to be pointed in the right direction if this is a known problem. Thanks. Here's a video of the sound....

I hope you attached this video link to your service appoint request in the app so they could review it. Usually a tech will get back with you in a couple of days after they review your service request and any supporting info from the app. That sounds very scary to untrained me. I would be scared driving it much.

I did attach the video, several in fact. They are ordering some parts, but I don't know what they are. It honestly sounds to me like the strut, dry tie rod, or a slightly loose suspension bolt. It seems to be louder in colder weather. Almost faintly non-existent in hot weather.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Okay, so I took the trunk liner out, it's definitely coming from what appears to be the front subframe or skid plate. It's not the suspension and it's not the steering rack itself. It does not make the noise when you lift the car up and take the load off the front wheels. Tomorrow I'm going to go under and remove the skid plate and maybe put some felt tape on it and re-torque it down and use some blue loctite. It doesn't seem to be a critical safety issue.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Same issue but only when turning hard right or left (most noticeable when I pull out of driveway as well and turn onto street… from reverse into drive, turning hard either direction. Am taking it in on Thursday. Ive got the long range S model/2021. Will post again once it’s been evaluated. Very annoyed, must admit. I do have the larger wheels but that shouldnt make a difference.

Reactions: DerbyDave and jm404
I did attach the video, several in fact. They are ordering some parts, but I don't know what they are. It honestly sounds to me like the strut, dry tie rod, or a slightly loose suspension bolt. It seems to be louder in colder weather. Almost faintly non-existent in hot weather.
How did you attach the video for service request? On the app it doesn’t allow you to post videos. Only photos.

Did you figure out the problem?

Hey guys, brand new Plaid, issue from day one, though it has gotten worse in a couple hundred miles I've driven it... Whenever I turn the steering wheel, whether stopped or going, it makes a clicking noise from the suspension that can be heard from the inside. It also does this when pulling in and out of the driveway or going over bumps even when keeping the steering wheel straight. I have read that there have been some cases where steering rack bolts were an issue, or other loose suspension bolts were loose. Has anyone else experienced this even on an older Model S? I have an appointment scheduled but it's several weeks out, and I don't want to go there if I can simply fix it myself. I can pretty much do anything on cars, I just need to be pointed in the right direction if this is a known problem. Thanks. Here's a video of the sound....
Just took delivery of the refreshed S LR. A very serious and unnerving loud thudd/rattle sounds when the steering is turned fully or almost fully in either direction. You can feel it in the yolk steering as well. Feels really unsafe to drive! Taken the earliest available appointment for Dec 31st. Hope they can fix this…..I am a huge fan of Elon but super disappointed with the new S with multiple issues - serious steering noise, brand new key fobs that don’t work (delivery person said they will order replacements for me) and rear hatch panel gaps ☹️. Bummer.

I am having this exact issue with my MS LR after about 225 miles. As others reported, it's happening during one-half to full turns of the yoke at slow speeds. I do not notice any other issues with steering performance but the sound is noticeable even in the car and louder outside the car.

I am making a service appointment but if any of you would not mind sharing the diagnosis code and repair text from your estimate that would potentially be helpful.

Thanks!

Same issues here. Started shortly after delivery (LR). The clicking is audible most days but usually only for the first few minutes of a drive. I have driven about 4k miles and was hoping it would go away but no luck. I have the impression it might be temperature related, like most of the interior rattles...which is another topic altogether.
I have a mobile service appointment today for a defictive rear hatch latch cover and will try to get some feedback on the clicking sound.
The air suspension also creaks and grows when adjusting the ride height...not sure if that's normal.
I'll update this once there is something to report.

The more these reports come in the more I´m inclined to believe the theory that the workers in Fremont are either

• incompetent or inadequately trained
• severely overworked and boycotting Tesla in "their way"
• the unions try to play armwrestling

an subframe with loose bolts is simply unbelievable and unheard of.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Same issues here. Started shortly after delivery (LR). The clicking is audible most days but usually only for the first few minutes of a drive. I have driven about 4k miles and was hoping it would go away but no luck. I have the impression it might be temperature related, like most of the interior rattles...which is another topic altogether.
I have a mobile service appointment today for a defictive rear hatch latch cover and will try to get some feedback on the clicking sound.
The air suspension also creaks and grows when adjusting the ride height...not sure if that's normal.
Of course no clicking was to ne replicated the day the service tech was here but we found a rattle in the rear hatch interior cover, under the carpeted part. The clips holding that piece don't engage into the hatch frame properly. I've used a frequency generator app and dialed it in at around 58 Hz to get the right resonance frequency going. It was easily located. He's ordered a new part.

As far as the suspension clicking goes he suggested to record it and send it in.
I'll see if that works.

I'll jack up the car this weekend and have a look around as I'm pretty good with wrenches. Maybe I can find something. I'll report back.

Just took delivery of the refreshed S LR. A very serious and unnerving loud thudd/rattle sounds when the steering is turned fully or almost fully in either direction. You can feel it in the yolk steering as well. Feels really unsafe to drive! Taken the earliest available appointment for Dec 31st. Hope they can fix this…..I am a huge fan of Elon but super disappointed with the new S with multiple issues - serious steering noise, brand new key fobs that don’t work (delivery person said they will order replacements for me) and rear hatch panel gaps ☹️. Bummer.
Same exact thing happening to me with new Model S LR. The service center said there's nothing out of the ordinary, and that they're aware of the problem but do not have a good answer for me at this time....going to sell the car.

Any update my man? I have the same issue.