Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid tire failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have same issues with my Model S Plaid. In May went to my car and left rear completely flat. Filled it up and made my way home with a moderate air leak. Once home found the leak - inner edge of tire wore down to the steel. Yesterday the same problem occurred on the rear right

Attachments

• E6F744FC-C2F5-4408-A19E-A4A7F0C77C66.jpeg
    E6F744FC-C2F5-4408-A19E-A4A7F0C77C66.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 423
I have a 2021 Tesla Plaid and at 8000 miles the left rear tire wore thru on the inside to the steel tread and caused a flat at 80 mph. This week the same thing happened on the right rear tire wearing thru on outer edge going thru to steel tread. I have maintained proper air pressure as called for at 40 psi. This is truly a design flaw on Tesla or Michelin tires . Does anyone know a fix
I have a plaid as well. Back left tire shredded from inside and caused psi to drop suddenly. And now the right one same thing. 100% design flaw. No one wants to take responsibility. $560 for each tire

• Informative
Reactions: bizi and TSLA Pilot
I have a plaid as well. Back left tire shredded from inside and caused psi to drop suddenly. And now the right one same thing. 100% design flaw. No one wants to take responsibility. $560 for each tire

This really is a joke. These cars have tires that are literal ticking time bombs due to the way this suspension is set up. We have vibration at 35mph+, and now tire failure? What on earth, Tesla?!

What’s worse is these tires are on back order.
Yes, and that's nationwide, perhaps globally, with no end in sight. Tesla Service Center has none as well, suggesting we search eBay or the like.

Just unbelievably poor customer support from both Tesla and Michelin.

We've cut waaaay back on driving our MS Plaid because we too show significant wear on the inner sidewall (smooth rubber) and realize the car will become a brick we suffer a tire failure.

Crazy, yet Tesla still has 21" tires for Fremont production . . . but NONE for customers that have dropped 6-figures for the friggin' cars and need replacement tires due to this defect.

TSLA Pilot,
And you dare to give me crap about selling my Plaid? Why the heck do you put up with this? Dump it. At least I know when it is time to move on.
Don't recall the specifics, but didn't you replace your Plaid with an ICE vehicle, one that spews prolific GHG's with each start of the engine?

If so, then please dump that problem with another EV.

While I'm a strong Tesla supporter (over a dozen MS's so far), I am far from being a fan boi and will correctly point out Tesla's lapses. This is a big one . . . especially as it feels as if it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Still trying to understand possible causes. I’m lowered -6/-7 -2.2° rear camber -0.2 total rear toe nearly 14,000 miles, full throttle every day No signs of any trouble. Has anyone considered temperature excursion at some point in the tire life?
EDD3ABE1-116D-4265-B98A-47759EBDCA69.jpeg
AC01F810-D07B-4013-B724-F7BDE13ABC32.jpeg

Attachments

• 04D4774E-4972-43D0-A130-EBFC1CA127BB.jpeg
    04D4774E-4972-43D0-A130-EBFC1CA127BB.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Still trying to understand possible causes. I’m lowered -6/-7 -2.2° rear camber -0.2 total rear toe nearly 14,000 miles, full throttle every day No signs of any trouble. Has anyone considered temperature excursion at some point in the tire life?View attachment 854237View attachment 854238
I think the answer is in your photographs: the blue anodized suspension arm is quite noticeable, and obviously not stock/OEM.

For those of us that haven't modified our six-figure cars I, for one, don't think I should have to pay 4-figures for aftermarket parts to have my tires not blow up, nor should I be required to get on my hands and knees to inspect the inside edge of my rear tires every other day to see when the steel cords begin to show. When they do, I'll have to park the car for months due to lack of replacement tires.

Am I asking too much?

Still no reply from Michelin or Discount Tire.

I will file a NHTSA complaint a SaferCar.gov, but without an accident and deaths (yet), will they care?

So frustrating.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
I think the answer is in your photographs: blue anodized suspension arm is quite noticeable, and obviously not stock/OEM.

For those of us that haven't modified our six-figure cars I, for one, don't think I should have to pay 4-figures for aftermarket parts to have my tires not blow up on me, nor should I be required to get on my hands and knees to inspect the inside edge of my rear tires every other day to see when I see steel cord showing . . . am I asking too much?

Still no reply from Michelin or Discount Tire; will try Tesla SC next I guess, but that's sort of like beating your head against a wall.

I will file a a NHTSA complaint a SaferCar.gov, but without an accident and deaths (yet), will they care either?

So frustrating.
Those arms were installed at around 11,000mi I think. They took 0.2° of camber out. That’s less than it takes to compensate for 7mm link drop. Now I could believe that the compound is different on my non T0 or T2 Michelin 4S.

I think some of you might find this helpful...

The Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation or TREAD Act (Pub.L. 106–414 (text) (PDF)) is a United States federal law enacted in the fall of 2000. This law intends to increase consumer safety through mandates assigned to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). It was drafted in response to fatalities related to Ford Explorers fitted with Firestone tires, and was influenced by automobile and tire manufacturers as well as consumer safety advocates.
Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act - Wikipedia

TRANSPORTATION RECALL ENHANCEMENT, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND DOCUMENTATION (TREAD) ACT
Public Law 106–414

I called Michelin today to see what is going on and why we can’t get tires and they are hoping to start making some in a few weeks. The two reps were totally incompetent. I was told that one my 295 30 21 is not an oem tire and two that Tesla does make a model s plaid plus. I have a tire on order from wal mart and from tire rack. Hopefully one will get here soon. For now I drive with a portable compressor in my car.

I called Michelin today to see what is going on and why we can’t get tires and they are hoping to start making some in a few weeks. The two reps were totally incompetent. I was told that one my 295 30 21 is not an oem tire and two that Tesla does make a model s plaid plus. I have a tire on order from wal mart and from tire rack. Hopefully one will get here soon. For now I drive with a portable compressor in my car.
Tesla does not make a Model S Plaid plus. If you bought your tire aftermarket and it doesn’t have the T designation, then it’s not an OEM tire.

Last edited:
Mine are gone after about 7,000 miles. Same problem. Although I do not have proof yet, the issue is NOT rubbing. This is a classic "too-much toe-in" alignment setting wear pattern. Too much toe-in on the rear tires. The treadwear pattern (inner edge only) is a simple diagnosis and is as old as wheel alignments. I have a pair of replacement tires on backorder, expected at the end of the month. I was fortunate that my tires had barely begun weeping a little air through the splits at the worn out areas intermittently (probably due to heavy loading). I was able to reverse the direction of the tire rotational direction temporarily to keep the worn edge on the outside and so far they have been holding air. Once I get the replacements, my shop will back the toe-in setting out and we will monitor closely for aggressive wear. I am cautiously optimistic that we will find a better rear toe setting than factory, though it will likely take several visits and adjustments. I will report back when I have more info.