Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLAID TIRES SPEED INDEX - Important !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that there is a "strange" limitation of the highest speed able to be reached by the Model S Plaid.
Tesla claims all over that the speed of 320 km/h is the top one, but we know that, until now, the Plaid does not run over 300 km/h.
E. Musk said "one time" that, in fact, to reach the 320 km/h top speed, it will not be possible to do that without to purchase a package of special wheels, special brakes and... special tires ! One more time you have tasted a Tesla "too good to be true" surprise.:rolleyes:

So, regarding this particularity, I ask for the Plaids owner to inform us regarding the speed index on the 21'' Michelin 4S tires:
Normally they would have a (Y) speed index for cars able to run at MORE than 300 km/h
If they have a simple Y speed index, it's the one for cars able to run NO MORE than 300 km/h
If all the Plaids are fitted with the Y speed index tires you should not hope that Tesla will release the speed restriction of your car !

THANK YOU in advance to indicate here the speed index you can read on your Plaid's tires, following the dimensions inscriptions.

P.S. I'm living in Europe and it's absolutely forbidden here to fit tires which have no coordinated speed index with the car's ability, even if you will not plan to drive up to the max. speed !

Well, I think that that the sole company able to give the right specifications is TESLA !

The problem is what E. Musk has declared that the tires and wheels will have to be changed to unlock the full power of the car... So we can suppose that the delivered Michelin 4S 21'' on Plaids could not have the (Y) speed rating.but only the Y one...

More over the 4S (Y) tires are very rare and Michelin asks for 12 to 14 weeks to have a set..