Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid track mode imminent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm predicting a lot of wrecked Plaids with people testing stability control -10 and all power to the rear...

If you read that message, try not to be that person - it's super easy to go in a full uncontrolled multi-turn spin even from a standing still. And it won't spin in just 1 spot, no, it will slide to that car/wall/lightpost/pedestrian that you thought is far enough.

Reactions: ICUDoc and jebinc
How's the regen with track mode? Thinking with 3 motors it 'could' be crazy strong.

Might order unplugged carbon brakes as Tesla's don't fit anything but 21's - and unfortunately it snows in Canada.
What is even more interesting is if they increase regen during brake application. Because even model 3 track regen is hard to modulate, if it will be 2-3x more, it should be really controlled by brake pedal as well.

for sure - apparently the porsche mission R does this with brake by wire. 60% done by the front motor?
If they can adjust on the fly brake booster, they might get relatively consistent braking mixing regen inside. But I have a doubt that ibooster can adjust that precisely and so I'm not sure it does it. Anyone with scanmytesla and track mode should check if regen power increases with brake pedal.

I don't really worry that most demand comes from the front - plaid is a low CG car, so weight transfer is not that high and high-speed braking easily can chew megawatts of brake power, so with dynamic boost distribution there is a use for everything all motors can provide. And battery charging limit would be the main regen limiter anyway, not motors.

I also hope that track mode ABS works differently and adjusts brake power by regen before it jumps to lock brake booster. That way it can do much more effective braking and keep wheels from any locking similar to how it does during acceleration.

Reactions: jebinc

And yet another article on this topic, published overnight.

i always dreamed about having real time brake temp monitoring on my cars that saw track time. Never was worth the effort of my specific cars but would have been really useful. I’m excited to see a version of it in track mode on the plaid.

Would be really cool if future iterations of track mode allow users to customize the high temp threshold and massive bonus points if they add a low temp threshold too.

Then you could set the threshold based on your specific pads and fluid. Actually, even high-med-low settings would be next level useful.

i always dreamed about having real time brake temp monitoring on my cars that saw track time. Never was worth the effort of my specific cars but would have been really useful. I’m excited to see a version of it in track mode on the plaid.

Would be really cool if future iterations of track mode allow users to customize the high temp threshold and massive bonus points if they add a low temp threshold too.

Then you could set the threshold based on your specific pads and fluid. Actually, even high-med-low settings would be next level useful.

I wonder how that feature works I doubt they have a thermocouple.

I wonder how that feature works I doubt they have a thermocouple.
It is modeled based on your brake use, no sensors involved. We have infrared brake temperature sensors on our Plaid and it is definitely really fun to nerd out with that data!

1641400882274.png

Reactions: Dave EV and ICUDoc
I got track mode yesterday.. Already did some donuts in a grass field with her.. lots of fun.. I did notice you can toggle "DragStrip Mode" on / off as well while in track mode, but im not sure if it makes any difference...